Caran D'ache Electric Orange

julia239

First off, I love this ink! It’s not going to be for everyone, but it is definitely for me. The color will put off a lot of people – it is orange & bright. I happen to like bright colors & if you like inks that really demand attention, it might be one to consider.

There is no arguing that it is expensive. For me, the price is justified by how well it performs. I generally use EF nibs which often have a lot of feedback. But with this ink, there is almost no feedback – I can barely feel it on the page. It’s like I’m using a medium or broad nib or a lubricated ink (like one of Noodler’s Eel series).

There is very little shading, even with broader nibs. But for me, the lack of shading is okay. There was a very small amount of bleed-through on the copy paper (spotting) but not on any of the other papers. Ghosting was apparent on the Leuchtturm and Tomoe River, as is typical, but doesn’t impede the use of the back side of the page.

My review was done in a Leuchtturm1917 with a Pilot Vanishing Point EF.

The writing samples are (in order):

Office Copy Paper with Pilot VP EF and TWSBI 580 F

Tomoe River with TWSBI Eco B

Rhodia Dotpad with Pilot VP EF and TWSBI 580 F

This is my first review; I hope it's useful.

Sorry about the photos instead of scans; for some reason my scanner turned the orange ink red.

post-133331-0-45966100-1482356379_thumb.jpg

post-133331-0-93978900-1482356575_thumb.jpg

post-133331-0-22726900-1482356808_thumb.jpg

post-133331-0-94356300-1482356641_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julia239

• Barkingpig

• jmccarty3

• visvamitra

I thank you for your review & also enjoy this ink along with it's predecessor, Saffron from their "Colors of the Earth series." You are correct that it is not a shader, but for me the purity of the ink makes up for any deficiencies. If you ever stumble across a bottle of the CaD Saffron, you might also enjoy it in addition to this ink.

Great review; kinda reminds me of Edelstein Mandarin, which I love.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Now I'm hunting CaD Saffron.

I suppose my "a"s are sort of odd - when I was learning to print, I wanted my letters to look like the "typewriter letters" and insisted on writing them that way. As a I've gotten older, the loop has gotten smaller and smaller until it turned into a line.

Saffron is worth the hunt; I had to get mine from France & was ONLY available with shipping thru Canada, (France to Canada & THEN the source there shipped to US,) so I paid a lot of shipping to get it & have NEVER been sorry, it is a lovely orange ink. I see it fairly often, mainly in the FPN Classifieds, yet I just never look on Ebay since I have it. Having only this fall received an ink after a 2 year wait, I am a firm believer "that all things are possible." After all there is still a fair amount of Parker Penman inks being offered for sale & they were discontinued LONG before the Colors of the Earth line from CaD.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this review of yours and the ones which followed. I also like this ink, one of my favorites of all of the CdAs (old and new). It's good that you used different nib widths. I use almost only Ms and Bs or greater. That makes a huge diff especially with this ink.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I like this review of yours and the ones which followed. I also like this ink, one of my favorites of all of the CdAs (old and new). It's good that you used different nib widths. I use almost only Ms and Bs or greater. That makes a huge diff especially with this ink.

Mike

Thank you. I prefer finer nibs, but they can definitely distort the color and usually don't give as much shading. When I decided to do some reviews, I wanted to keep that in mind.