Kaigelu 316 - My Dream Writer For $24?

ParkerDuofold

...a little drier than I'm used to.

Anthony (Parker Duofold) sent me this link for the same issue, I did as instructed and now have a nice, juicy writer. Sorry the video is over seven minutes long; the instructions are so simple they could have been considerably shorter but I had to endure it, so why should you be spared? Good luck; let us know if you tried it and if it worked out.

Edited by Manalto

James

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• ParkerDuofold

• Frank66

• Bluey

Thanks, but I don't think I will, at least for now. It doesn't bother me that much.

Edited by WJM

Anthony (Parker Duofold) sent me this link for the same issue, I did as instructed and now have a nice, juicy writer. Sorry the video is over seven minutes long; the instructions are so simple they could have been considerably shorter but I had to endure it, so why should you be spared? Good luck; let us know if you tried it and if it worked out.

Alternatively, I also run a brass shim between the tines once or twice and test the pen. It works for me. -Frank66

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Is that called "flossing the nib"? I'd like to try it but that means I have to go out and find/get brass shims. On the other hand, I know exactly where to find my thumbnail. Is that obscenely lazy?

James

Just a little recreational complaining?

Who said I was complaining? By little drier I meant it was less wet in comparision with some other pens, but it's not dry the point which would bother me. It writes very well, with some feedback but very smoothly, and I don't see a necessity to meddle with the nib which works just fine.
Edited by WJM

Welp, I ordered one of these a couple weeks ago based on the high praises I've read here. There seem to be lots of satisfied customers of the "Mighty Roo!" Should be arriving any day now... and I can hardly wait! :)

My 316 starts hard when it has sat for a while, cap securely on. Two questions: Why does this happen? What's the best way to get the pen started again? (My technique has been to lick the nib.)

James

My 316 starts hard when it has sat for a while, cap securely on. Two questions: Why does this happen? What's the best way to get the pen started again? (My technique has been to lick the nib.)

I dip mine in my morning coffee:)

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Yuck. I run my finger down the nib from the vent to the tip, if that doesn't work I add a small drop of water to the tip. I keep a syringe filled with distilled water on my desk. Many pen caps don't seal very well, so they dry out.

Edited by frankb3

Edited previous post.

Converters in the Kaigelu 316 are known to frequently present such problems. One way to fix it is to make sure the threads of the converter engage the internal threads of the section. Most of the times, this is more easily said than done. Replacing converters one needs to make sure that there is a test period, as we do not want potential ink leakage happening when the pen is in our pocket.

In two out of my three Kaigelu's, I have replaced the nibs with Bock nibs and the converter with Beaufort converter (which seems identical to a Schmidt K5 converter). The pen is much more reliable, plus you can change nib sizes from EF to B, italics, steel to gold to titanium nibs. And if you do not like the Bock nibs, you can still keep the Bock housing and use whichever Jowo #6 nib you may have available. This worked best for me in the long run.

I need to replace the Kaigelu converter. Beaufort is not an option (shipping costs 3 times the value of the converter)

Can anyone confirm the Schmidt K5?

Or has good results with another regular brand of converters?

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Yuck. I run my finger down the nib from the vent to the tip, if that doesn't work I add a small drop of water to the tip. I keep a syringe filled with distilled water on my desk. Many pen caps don't seal very well, so they dry out.

So sorry to upset your delicate sensibilities but it's just a pen nib - not a subway turnstile.

I suspect it's a less-than-secure cap. While having a syringe filled with distilled water at the ready sounds like a way to resolve the issue, I'm not going to do that. Dipping in morning coffee - or tea (Lie de The!) - is more like it.

I don't think it's a converter issue because, once the ink gets flowing, it's a pleasant, wet writer with no skipping problem.

Edited by Manalto

James

I need to replace the Kaigelu converter. Beaufort is not an option (shipping costs 3 times the value of the converter)

Can anyone confirm the Schmidt K5?

Or has good results with another regular brand of converters?

You can use a Jinhao converter, such as found in a Jinhao 159 fountain pen, instead of the Kaigelu converter. This has been reported to adequately work fine (see posts #37 and 38 in this FPN topic: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304372-kaigelu-316-a-little-disappointing/page-2

The Beaufort converter works only with the Bock housing and is not compatible with the dimensions of the Kaigelu nib unit. The same applies for the Schmidt K5 converter which, in my mind is equivalent to the Beaufort Ink Converter.

Fig. (below, from left to right): white veined Kaigelu 316 cap, barrel, section, Kaigelu nib housing attached to a Jinhao converter taken from a Jinhao 159 pen, and Kaigelu original screw-type converter.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/3769AD41-31B5-4579-98B4-90F1675B957B_zpsbepmbl1r.jpg

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

I'm surprised to read of drying out issues. I have two K316s, one of which I often neglect, inked, for up to 4 months. Neither has ever dried out capped.

I think it was Richard that told me the 'inner cap' is simply profiled out of the outer cap's acrylic, and that's certainly the case with mine. Provided it has been properly turned at the factory, I can't imagine an issue there at all, especially paired with a simple & robust screw on design!

Maybe the mating face of the inner cap isn't perfectly 'square' to the section? Or perhaps an issue at the brass-acrylic join?

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

That would be good news. Do you mind expanding on your hypothesis? I assumed that, if ink supply was good once the pen got going, it wouldn't be the converter, but my understanding of "ink dynamics" in a fountain pen is scant. I'll try the Jinhao converter and see if it corrects the problem. It's definitely worth a shot to make it a pleasant experience. (Also, people often think you're an oddball for using a fountain pen anyway; to use one that won't write reliably just looks foolish. That's no way to recruit!)

James

It's either that or there is a hole in the cap somewhere like there is on some pens to equalise air pressure and other reasons. You can test this by blowing into the cap, ensuring that there is a vacuum inside.

With the converter it could be a case of it not having been flushed out with dish soap and water, and the flow issues may have occurred if you had written for much longer. I prefer cartridge use for Chinese pens.

Edited by Bluey

I checked to see if there was a leak in the cap, since there is no visible hole and others with the same model pen don't seem to have the problem. I'm not sure what you mean by vacuum - did you mean airtight?

I'll give it a go with a different converter or cartridge. Thanks for your suggestion!

James

Hate to differ with Bluey but I don't quite see it. Caps with breather holes in them have the holes in the *outer* cap, below the inner cap, which keeps the nib & feed sealed off from the air. In any case, the K316 doesn't have one.

A *scant* possibility might be the feed not being fully inserted into the housing, so there's a gap to bridge after the pen is no longer nib -down. I took some photos of mine a while back, but basically just make sure you can feel the feed abutt the housing when you insert it.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/10943-Seller-feedback-on-FPN?p=120235&viewfull=1#post120235

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review