The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Eversharp Skyline Barrel And Nib Section Parts

skyline wahl-eversharp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Penlvr

Penlvr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:30

Hello,

I must admit my ignorance as I purchased recently a Wahl Eversharp Skyline with chocolate derby and body off the Ebay. I discovered that the barrel was cracked and the nib section was glued in. I tried warm water to loosen the glue but with no luck. I paid like 7 dollars for the whole pen and that should have told me something. The pen has perfectly alright feed, breather tube, perfectly alright cap and an excellent smooth Wahl Eversharp nib. I was wondering if any one on the FPN can guide me if there is a website where I can purchase barrel and the nib section without a nib and feed. I will appreciate your help in these matters. Thank you and Happy Holidays. Or Should I just send it to get it repaired/ restored? I love its nib.

Sponsored Content

#2 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:53

You can likely buy another Skyline for parts.  Some times on e-bay you can find parts pens or pens with obvious damage to the parts you don't need.  

One thing to keep in mind is that Skylines are notorious for their fragile plastic barrels and caps.  The section was probably shellaced in place, which requires temperatures around 140 degrees to soften.  You don't want to overheat the barrel as there is a fine line between enough and too much heat.  145 degrees is sufficient.  

You will want to use dry heat such as from a heat gun or hair dryer, but monitor the temperature to avoid torching the barrel.  Use heat to remove AND to replace the section in the barrel.

I would hunt for a replacement pen to salvage the parts you need and be patient with the search.  Professional repairs can get expensive when parts have to be replaced.

Good luck with your pen.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#3 KZ900

KZ900

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 22:18

I can send you a NOS barrel if you like. No charge.Just pm me your information. I am pretty sure I have a brown. I know I have green, blue and black.

Edited by KZ900, 20 December 2016 - 22:20.

#4 Penlvr

Penlvr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 22:38

KZ900, you are way too generous. Please do tell me if and how I can reimburse you. Most appreciative of all your help. Kelly thank you for your wonderful advice. I tried the method you had mentioned but it did not bear fruit. I perhaps should try it again. I had used the warm water bath but the NOS changed a bit of its color. Thank you both and Happy Holidays.

#5 KZ900

KZ900

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2016 - 22:24

I found you a really nice brown one with the tag still on. Make sure you post a picture of the pen. You should have it in a couple days. Here is a Picture:

skyline%202_zpsa07vephw.jpg

#6 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 00:55

I have four smashed-up Skylines I bought while searching for a flexible nib. It's analogous to the proverb about having to kiss a lot of toads.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyline, wahl-eversharp

Sponsored Content

|