DAYTONE HAVANA BROWN

img_20161015_165512.jpg?w=768

I received few Ink bottles from one of my friend in Indore which are Daytone Fountain Pen Inks.

Daytone Inks are manufactured by Daylight industries and they are into ink manufacturing since 1956. More information can be found about the company here: Daytone Webpage

Apart from Inks, they manufacture a lot of other stationary items. But this review is about one of the fountain pens inks that they manufacture.

The inks that they manufacture (15 Nos. – increased from 8 Nos.) are as follows:

1. Blue Black
  2. Emerald Green
  3. Brilliant Red
  4. Crimson
  5. Turquoise Blue
  6. Deep Black
  7. Royal Blue
  8. Bright Violet
  9. Havana Brown
  10. Mauve
  11. Dark Grey
  12. Dark Brown
  13. Olive Brown
  14. Rose Red
  15. Yellow Ochre

Also, I would like to add that I got these inks from my friend Daman who was kind enough to lend me the additional 7 colors for review.

This review is about HAVANA BROWN ink from Daytone. Daytone Havana Brown comes in 60 ml plastic bottles and is priced at Rs. 20 Each (Indian Rupees). I hate their ink bottles it is most of the times next to impossible to insert the pen and fill ink in the pen.

I found out that the ink is more fluidic as in more watery. The ink color is to my liking. It flows smoothly but is not that saturated. It fades if exposed to the light.

INK SPLASH

img_20161015_170148.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown – Ink Splash on JK Cedar 100gsm

I love the color of the ink. It has no sheen even in the areas where ink pools

COLOR MATCH

color-range-daytone-havana-brown.jpg?w=7

Daytone Havana Brown – Color Range

WRITING SAMPLES

img_20161015_165739.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown – Writing Sample on JK Cedar – 100 gsm

img_20161015_170629.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown – Writing Sample – Side View

The ink actually leaves the darker line in nibs which are wet writers especially my eyedropper ed ASA Viraat and Gama Supreme. There is very less shading.

INK SWABS

img_20161015_165659.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown – Ink swabs with cotton ear buds

img_20161015_165723.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown – Ink Swab (From top to bottom – 3 swabs, 2 swabs, and 1 swab)

WATERPROOF TEST

img_20161015_170104.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown – Waterproof Test

Ink is not at all waterproof or resistant. almost everything gets washed out. It also fades away if continuously exposed to sunlight for a longer duration.

BLOW-UP WRITING SAMPLES

closeup.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown – Blow up Writing Sample on JK Cedar 100 gsm

On looking closer, it is clear that the ink is darker in Bold and Medium nibs as compared to Stub nibs and there is very less shading.

COMPARISON WITH SIMILAR COLORS

img_20161015_170244.jpg?w=768

Daytone Havana Brown vs Sheaffer Skrip Brown vs Waterman Absolute Brown

It is visible from comparative above that the ink is less saturated and is more sand brown rather than the reddish brown.

CONCLUSION

The color is beautiful. It has no feathering and has lovely flow. Lubrication is okay. There is not much shading which is visible. Ink drying times are around 110 to 12 seconds.

Following are the summation of ink properties:

• Feathering: No
  • Sheen: No
  • Shading: Little
  • Lubrication: Moderate
  • Flow: Very Good
  • Water Resistance: Bad
  • Drying Times: Good
  • Nib Creep: No
  • Clogging: None
  • Odor: None

The ink can be bought from Amazon and Snapdeal. One of the links is given below.

LINK 1: AMAZON

My other ink reviews can be checked here: link

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• Manalto

• visvamitra

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, Vaibhav. I agree that the color is beautiful. Is it available only in India? I'd like to see it compared to Lie de Thé.

Edited by Manalto

James

Thanks for the review, Vaibhav. I agree that the color is beautiful. Is it available only in India? I'd like to see it compared to Lie de Thé.

I will share the comparison pic in few days...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Nice review, thanks :)

your welcome..

I like the colour

yes color is beautiful...

Not bad. I prefer these yellow browns to the redder ones.

same here... but at the same time i like waterman brown a lot...

vaibhav mehandiratta

yes it is available in India only...

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vaibhav. Could you do a quick side by side with Lie de The? I see similarities.

"Sitting and writing for an hour consumes only 50 calories, but the satisfaction is PRICELESS."

Hi Vaibhav. Could you do a quick side by side with Lie de The? I see similarities.

Lie de The is darker iirc. This is more like Terre de Feu

A lifelong FP user...

To my eye LdT isn't as warm (golden) as the Havana. Reminds me of Noodler's 'Golden Brown'. A really pleasant color, half a world away - sigh.

James