Toasted Nibs From Nemosine

markh

Nemosine is selling new heat treated nibs - called Re-Entry (as in re-entry from space - get it??)

These nibs have been heat treated "hand-torched twice for a unique flame-kissed look."

If you remember from your metallurgy class (yes, I actually took one) heat treating metal (at least steel) is used for annealing - it helps to remove dislocations in the crystal structure of the metal. The result is the metal is more ductile (softer) and less brittle (not as strong.)

The heat treating of these nibs, as I understand what's being done, is similar to bluing metal to coat the surface, which uses oil to stop the metal from corroding. I don't have any specific knowledge of what's being done in this case.

I'm curious how this process might effect the nib. Does it make them softer, maybe more flexible. Does the surface coat change the flow properties.

Anyone have any idea?? - I'm just speculating.

Edited by markh

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markh

• Bo Bo Olson

• inkstainedruth

• WaskiSquirrel

I thought they were really striking, so I just ordered a few from Goulet, and have some pens ready to try them in. I'll try to remember to report back once they get here.

Such a cool idea!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I saw those, and thought they were pretty, but also didn't know how they'd behave. Can't wait to see the results of your tests, Waski.

I keep looking at the Nemosine Singularity models, but don't really like any of the colors that much. But reportedly they're coming out with ebonite ones at some point, so I may (depending on the colors) be plunking down money. And if I can get one in a reasonable color that looks good with the flame treated nibs.... (I got to test the different nib widths at Birmingham Pens a few weeks ago, and one of the .6 mm stub nibs is *definitely* on the short list -- "Re-Entry or otherwise!)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love the look of the re-entry nibs. I want to order one, but really don't need an extra #6 nib. The ones I have now write perfectly fine.

I like the look but as of yet haven't tried one.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

So I tried them out. They really are pretty! But, I don't see any difference. I suspect that the heat really only affects the surface of the metal without causing any of the changes that would increase flexibility.

So I tried them out. They really are pretty! But, I don't see any difference. I suspect that the heat really only affects the surface of the metal without causing any of the changes that would increase flexibility.

Good to know. That means I can, if I end up getting a Singularity, decide whether the fancy looking nib looks better on the pen and not worry about getting one otherwise.

Thanks for the update.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It is bluing, where you heat steel up and it starts to oxidise.

The colour you get depends on the temperature.

Traditionally bluing was used for rifle barrels, as a way to protect from rust, for something that got too hot to be able to use paint or oil.

From the way the colour changes on these nibs, it looks like the hottest part was at the tipping, cooling down as it moves towards the main body of the nib.

I think it is a left-over from when the tipping (which is melted on to the end of the tines) was attached. I imagine most nib makers just clean it off.

Just a warning, this layer of oxide will be quite thin and delicate. Wiping your nib to remove ink may end up removing some of the colour.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Just a warning, this layer of oxide will be quite thin and delicate. Wiping your nib to remove ink may end up removing some of the colour.

I wondered about this too. Apparently there is a coating on the nib to protect it. Of course, time will tell how well it lasts. In the meantime, it was a neat idea and in my price range, so I thought I would encourage it.

Nemosine is selling new heat

If you remember from your metallurgy class (yes, I actually took one) heat treating metal (at least steel) is used for annealing - it helps to remove dislocations in the crystal structure of the metal. The result is the metal is more ductile (softer) and less brittle (not as strong.

I'm curious how this process might effect the nib. Does it make them softer, maybe more flexible. Does the surface coat change the flow properties.

they just look like a brief torching for surface colour... like motorbike pipes coming out of engine

If I remember from metalwork, heatTreating/annealing can make it softer or harder depending what you did to it after heating to redhot - either quenching in hot oil or cold water etc

"ductile" just means "ability to be drawn into a thin wire"

they just look like a brief torching for surface colour... like motorbike pipes coming out of engine

If I remember from metalwork, heatTreating/annealing can make it softer or harder depending what you did to it after heating to redhot - either quenching in hot oil or cold water etc

"ductile" just means "ability to be drawn into a thin wire"

Nibs are extremely thin pieces of metal. The exhaust pipes on a motorcycle are many times thicker. I think if the surface was made hot enough to color, the entire piece of material would be heated.

I have no idea if that would actually effect performance in any way.

Quenching stops the relaxing of the internal dislocations. After iron is worked (think of a blacksmith hammering on a piece of hot metal) the quench keeps if from becoming too ductile. Depends exactly what result you want.

Steel is a different story - it's a eutectic with multiple phases in the cold product. Its hardness/ductility depends on the path (time/temperature) by which the steel is cooled. It's still subject to work hardening (maybe stamping out the nib) and heat changes in internal structure (maybe heating it enough to color the metal.)

Ductile:

• able to be drawn out into a thin wire.
  • able to be deformed without losing toughness; pliable, not brittle.

In any case, all of this is secondary to how the nib actually performs, and how permanent the nib coloring is. After the nibs are used for a while, we will get a better sense of this.

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

US Morton nibs which Kaweco used from @1902 to April 1914 when they bought from Morton some of their machines and imported American workers to Germany to teach Kaweco how to make the best nibs in the world.

Hand hammered and annealed on tiny anvils. The folks at Kaweco had potato soup every day at the canteen. To keep the iridium from burning off, the tip was stuck in a piece of potato before it was hit with a Bunsen burner for annealing.

Do they tip and slit after heat coloring?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

US Morton nibs which Kaweco used from @1902 to April 1914 when they bought from Morton some of their machines and imported American workers to Germany to teach Kaweco how to make the best nibs in the world.

Hand hammered and annealed on tiny anvils. The folks at Kaweco had potato soup every day at the canteen. To keep the iridium from burning off, the tip was stuck in a piece of potato before it was hit with a Bunsen burner for annealing.

Do they tip and slit after heat coloring?

Potato soup?? How'd that get in there :D

Edited by markh

Does a Bunsen get hotter than inside combustion chamber of a petrol car engine?

I pay good money for "iridium" tips on sparkplugs...

'Iridium' has not been "Iridium" since the 20's....when it turned into a mix of rare earth metals...each company changing their mix often even in the '20-30's.

So I think you have about as much iridium on you spark plug as you do on a fountain pen...which is next to none, in other rare earths seem to do it either better or cheaper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

'Iridium' has not been "Iridium" since the 20's....when it turned into a mix of rare earth metals...each company changing their mix often even in the '20-30's.

So I think you have about as much iridium on you spark plug as you do on a fountain pen...which is next to none, in other rare earths seem to do it either better or cheaper.

According to this Youtube video, (about 4:16), Pilot use a 50:50 mix of iridium and osmium.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Not sure what the new ones are like, but I have my own heat treated Nemosine nib. It got this weird feedback, kinda like chalk, or a really stiff coloured pencil. I did manage To put some flex in it though. Not an extreme degree but some. Was really just seeing if I could :P

... But reportedly they're coming out with ebonite ones at some point, so I may (depending on the colors) be plunking down money. .....

Now that is an interesting rumor.

Now that is an interesting rumor.

Well, I heard this from Nick, the guy in Birmingham Pen Shop, in Pittsburgh fairly recently. And his brother is apparently the guy behind Nemosine pens. So we'll see....