The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Which Sheaffer Imperial Should I Buy?

sheaffer sheaffer imperial

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tanipat

Tanipat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 00:47

I am interesting in old Sheaffer Imperial. The NOS pen from Peyton Street Pens (via eBay) cost around $65 include shipping to Thailand. My question is which Sheaffer Imperial should I get between the Imperial 330, Imperial 440 and Imperial II Touchdown?

Edited by Pichak, 19 December 2016 - 00:49.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:03

Well it depends what you want.   If you're after an unusual filling system try the touchdown. Another factor to consider is the shape of the nib. There are 3 different types of inlaid nib for Sheaffer - the long diamond, the short diamond, and the other one on the 330 that's heart shaped. My favourite is the long diamond.

The 330 and 440 aren't true imperials. They're referred to as quasi-imperials.

Edited by Bluey, 19 December 2016 - 01:08.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#3 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• 1,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:28

Imperial II

Great great pens.

I have 4 of them. All are fantastic, particularly the B nib, but all are great. I love pneumatic fillers and conical nibs, even these short ones.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#4 Water Ouzel

Water Ouzel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:10

My question is which Sheaffer Imperial should I get between the Imperial 330, Imperial 440 and Imperial II Touchdown?

I've got a couple Imperial II and III pens, mostly from Peyton Street, as it happens. I would strongly support going for one of the Triumph-nibbed ones, all of mine have been lovely writers. (You might also plan to replace the odd sac, given their age, even as NOS.)

I've got some other Sheaffer inlaid-nib models, and while there's nothing wrong with them, I do prefer the Triumph nibs by quite a bit.

#5 vicpen123

vicpen123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:43

I recently held an Australian made Sheaffer Imperial 11 with conical nib and touchdown filler. The combination of conical nib and touchdown filler set the pen apart. As it wasn't mine, I did not get to write with it so I can't comment on that side.

I own a Sheaffer 330 quasi Imperial as well as a 1990s Australian made Sheaffer Triumph Imperial, both with inlay nib and converter. Not the same feeling.

I concur with ink-syringe - the Sheaffer conical nibs is a joy to behold and a touchdown pneumatic filler could be great if you are sure about maintenance. 

#6 Tanipat

Tanipat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 13:22

Thank you for all respond.

#7 Mister5

Mister5

Blue Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 15:47

I have a NOS Imperial II Deluxe (Seconds) that I got from Peyton Street, and it is a really good writer. Its definitely not a large pen, but is one of my favorite writers. I've found that the Touchdown mechanism probably holds as much ink as you would get from a converter. Its a smooth writer, and has a "waverly" type nib - slightly upturned at the tip - I believe that is one of the characteristics of those Sheaffer triumph-type nibs.

Highly recommend.

Edited by Mister5, 19 December 2016 - 15:49.

Inked:  Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black);  Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

#8 Tanipat

Tanipat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:33

Now I decided to go with the Imperial II. One more question is how about the Fine nib of Sheaffer Triump nib?

Edited by Pichak, 20 December 2016 - 03:34.

#9 Water Ouzel

Water Ouzel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:24

Now I decided to go with the Imperial II. One more question is how about the Fine nib of Sheaffer Triump nib?

I've got mostly F Imperials, and one XF. I'd say they are a lot closer to Japanese than German fines.

#10 Tanipat

Tanipat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:56

I've got mostly F Imperials, and one XF. I'd say they are a lot closer to Japanese than German fines.

I only have sheaffer M nib it is a wet and smooth. Is the F as smooth and wet as the M?

#11 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• 1,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 14:33

Only have Ms and Bs so can't really help you but I have a couple F and XF snorkels and they are the best non-Japanese F nibs I have used. Precise as can be and the unbroken line from barrel to point makes it like using a pencil. Great for careful work.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#12 Tanipat

Tanipat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 16:59

Only have Ms and Bs so can't really help you but I have a couple F and XF snorkels and they are the best non-Japanese F nibs I have used. Precise as can be and the unbroken line from barrel to point makes it like using a pencil. Great for careful work.

Thank you again :)

#13 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 18:57

I only have sheaffer M nib it is a wet and smooth. Is the F as smooth and wet as the M?

Yes.  Even the XF is very smooth.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, sheaffer imperial

Sponsored Content

|