Whitelines Paper, Back In The Usa!

pen2paper

What has been a personal favorite paper is returning to the US market.

Whitelines is a very pale gray paper with (surprise!) subtle whitelines , or grid or dot that when copied entirely disappear.

In the past some disliked the slight dry grip feel of the paper, even though very fountain pen friendly.

That single issue is apparently an issue no more.

Currently Whitelines is sending 3 full sized products to sample.

• 40 sheet 5x8" lined pad
  • 80 sheet 8x5 x 11" grid engineering pad 3 hole
  • 50 sheet 12x9" plain wire bound pad
  • all paper includes the subtle square feature that works with the Whitelines App to copy and organize notes/drawing

If I can manage to post a photo you will will see various inks, including non-fountain pen inks/paints known to bleed that as with the best papers only show a slight shadow. What cannot be seen is the new smooth quality that rivals the best of the fountain pen friendly community favorites.

This is my recent experience. While Whiteline's free sample/free shipping offer remains I urge others to experience Whitelines and report back.

Here is the link:

http://whitelinespaper.us14.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=591d61221393dc4a827d13cb8&id=e5c20e8ed2

Though you can find it elsewhere online.

No business connection to Whitelines, other than I enjoy the product. Even more now :-)

will not allow photo. I've edited down so small it's not visible on my pc, yet says too big to post here, suggestions please?

Edited by pen2paper

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• DaveT

• Ghost Plane

• HDRoot

Can you post a link to a photobucket or picasa or something

uploaded to flickr 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/historylivesinbuttons/albums/72157674071470784/with/31576479672/

note includes a test of Whitelines of the past with noticeable drag using Safari 1.1, which is now noticeably very smooth, (compare Rhodia).

The drag never bothered me, but I must say the new smooth is preferable.

My favorite paper even better. Glad it's back.

Edited by pen2paper

Whitelines appeared briefly downunder, doesn't seem too widely popular.

Got their palmsized notepad and it's not too bad for FP; it's Made in Malaysia. Paper is thick enough to avoid bleedthrough and doesn't feather much.

Grey colour does reduce the 'pop' of some inks though.

Tried the app... not particularly impressed. It just takes a photo and stores it as a pic afaik, doesn't OCR it or anything so kinda pointless for indexing etc

I clicked on your link and filled in the form. The first result was that there had been too many attempts with this email address, and to wait five minutes. Since it was my first and only attempt I clicked on submit without waiting.

That took me to proving I wasn't a robot, then I was directed to an email to finalize the process.

Now I wait for the samples. Thank you for letting us know about the offer.

Posted Image

I clicked on your link and filled in the form. The first result was that there had been too many attempts with this email address, and to wait five minutes. Since it was my first and only attempt I clicked on submit without waiting.

That took me to proving I wasn't a robot, then I was directed to an email to finalize the process.

Now I wait for the samples. Thank you for letting us know about the offer.

Glad you persisted. It did the same when I submitted through the auto program service processing the requests, so either many responses at same time or a glitch of the program. I've seen others comment on receiving their samples quickly and similarly impressed with what arrived. All expecting a few sheets in an envelope, not 3 full sized products. Give them a good road test when they arrive and share your impressions. I was pleasantly surprised, and think with the new surface others will be too :-)

I got a couple of Whitelines products from Officeworks, in Aus. Inexpensive, which I liked, but not so good with some inks, which I didn't like.

Perhaps the new, improved paper will make it's way to Aus. sometime in the near future.

For those not familiar with Whitelines, it is not just stationery, but a whole system, consisting of paper products, downloadable printable patterns to make your own, and smartphone apps which link to Evernote. Have a look on the Whitelines website.

I experimented with printing the downloaded WL patterns on my own paper, which meant I could use better paper, and use a paper size that I liked - B5. I have written a number of pages on these sheets, and the result was 'Meh..'. The pattern of grey dots changes the perceived colour of the paper, and makes the ink look dull. But, as a concept, it works.

The notepads and notebooks are ok, and inexpensive, but I have used better paper.

The smartphone app has three clever features --

1. It uses the little icons in the corners to straighten up the photo. No more getting the lens positioned just right.
  2. It then adjusts the colours so the grey background disappears, and you only see your written words/drawings. This also 'adjusts'/'stuffs up' the ink colour. Don't waste your expensive Iroshizuku / Edelstein / Bung Box inks here. Use Parker Quink, Sheaffer Skrip or Pelikan 4001.
  3. After storing the straightened and 'colour-corrected' image on your phone, you can then upload it to your Evernote account. The Evernote servers will then OCR your notes to a degree. They won't turn your hand-written notes into ascii text, but you can search on words in your notes. Consequently you can search through your hand-written recipes for 'guacamole', and it will pull out all your guacamole recipes.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I took advantage of the whitelines sample through Roaring Springs directly, though it appears they offered a slightly different set of products :

-40 sheet grid notepad 8x 11.75

- 70 sheet 8x11 lined spiral notebook

-100 pages of 8.5 x11 all purpose paper

I find the paper to be decent with a variety of paper, only exception is Diamine Apple Glory in a Twsbi Eco with a medium nib. i have tried Kwz Honey, Aztec Gold, Ig Green #2 and Diamine Autumn Oak wiith no bleedthough, KWZ IG Turquoise had a bit of spotting on the other side of the page. I dont know if I am going to use the whitelines app, but am quite satisfied with the paper so far!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I'm not quite sure what "back in the USA" means.

I tried this a few years ago, and thought it was interesting. But it basically disappeared from availability.

Checking out their web site (http://whitelines.se/) the most recent "news" is from 2014. It's not available on Amazon, or maybe more precisely the current product doesn't seem to be - there are sellers that seem to have left over and quite expensive stock.

Of course, Amazon isn't everything. I'm just wondering if there is now an active selling/marketing effort selling current product in the US??

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Is there any way to tell the old stock from the new stock by the cover, or pattern inside?

The notebooks I have all have the same funny little icon in each corner, but the images on the website show concentric squares in three corners, and an odd icon in the bottom right corner. Is this the new paper?

Interestingly, the printable downloadable sheets have different corner icons still.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching

I'm not quite sure what "back in the USA" means.

I tried this a few years ago, and thought it was interesting. But it basically disappeared from availability.

Checking out their web site (http://whitelines.se/) the most recent "news" is from 2014. It's not available on Amazon, or maybe more precisely the current product doesn't seem to be - there are sellers that seem to have left over and quite expensive stock.

Of course, Amazon isn't everything. I'm just wondering if there is now an active selling/marketing effort selling current product in the US??

Whitelines is product from Sweden which is being reintroduced to the USA in 2017 as Jakob noted through a company in PA, Roaring Springs, so my post here is very much a preview urging others to get the free samples and give a fair try.

Whitelines current new paper from my samples is exceptionally smooth along with no bleed, no feather qualities. While the App that recognizes the subtle paper icon may not be a cool tool for everyone I did see an artist on instagram demonstrating its usefulness and potential.

For a brief time the samples and postage are free, (offer ends Dec 26, 2016), so why not? You might find Whitelines a pleasant alternative if not your preference as it is mine.

DC I looked on my last remaining old style pad (Pre-2012) it has no App icon. The icon is so faint it's barely seen in photos. Here's a shot of the sample intro letter and pad back that shows how the Link App works. You check the box on your paper then it's sent via the App to your email, Dropbox or Evernote.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/historylivesinbuttons/?

As I was typing this the Roaring Springs paper product rep returned my inquiry call, and said he would be looking into how the Whitelines products can be made readily available to us in the USA, affordable, and in the forms most useful to our needs. So I would say this could be an opportunity to see this paper in various forms that fit our community of basic fountain pen friendly to business, art and academics. Very pleasant gentleman, and an interesting call.

So stay tuned!

Edited by pen2paper

I have contacted the distributors for Whitelines in Aus. to ask if their current stock in Australia (made in Malaysia) matches the new stock made in USA.

Awaiting results...

Granny Aching

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on my sample to arrive. Must be the holiday season slowing down the shipment.

Posted Image

I have been ordering Whitelines notebooks direct from the manufacturer shipped to the US for a couple of years (after they dropped out of the US market). Have run into some inconsistency in the shade of gray and quality of paper between products, but a really great option to switch it up.

My White Lines sample came today via UPS. Wow, 3 versions of large paper. That's quite a sample a package. I'm going to use the White Lines grid pad when writing my next pen pal letter.

Edited to add the 3 items I received were all 8 1/2" x 11'. I also got a sketch pad (wiro) with blank pages, and a package of what I'd call copier paper.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this the other day on their site but haven't been able to find anywhere to buy it. Does anyone know of retailers carrying any of the new products?

Whiteline's - from Roaring Springs Paper in PA USA - just launched in 2017.

Had a notice recently they will become available in B&M's and are still sending sample packages.

Here's the link:

http://rspaperproducts.com/whitelines/#whitelines-sample-request

11PM EST... tried and found notice on the website.... Sorry... the campaign with free samples has ended.

Oh well....

Thanks - just tried to get the samples and it looks like it took my request.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.