Petit1 Ink-Matching

antichresis

What inks are a close match to the Petit1 inks? (buying cartridges should be a last resort)

In particular, the Blue-Black and the Green look quite nice. Photo below is from the internet and not mine.

post-129019-0-67086100-1481945686_thumb.jpg

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• sapient

• antichresis

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you compared to colours for Pilot's Parallel Pen?

The std Pilot cartridges won't fit the shorter Petit1 though.

Have you compared to colours for Pilot's Parallel Pen?

The std Pilot cartridges won't fit the shorter Petit1 though.

I haven't although I have heard that the Parallel's cartridge blue-black is also quite nice. It would still be a cartridge though and therefore not a long-term solution for me even if it were a match 😟

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Why so against carts? :)

My personal beef is that Pilot stopped selling carts for the 1st wave of Petit1, there were several colours there that I loved especially their Brown.

Bottled ink is cheaper, friendlier to the environment, and I just prefer the look of ink bottles in my pen drawer compared to a bunch of cartridges. Cartridges are, of course, way more convenient and zero mess.

Edited by antichresis

I can't really help for colour-matching, but as far as behaviour goes, I have used Sailor Jentle and J Herbin inks in my Petit and while neither were as wet as the original Pilot Petit ink, which is quite thick, the J Herbin ones behaved way more nicely than the Sailor inks which felt really dry and scratchy to write with, probably because of the pen's wick feed. So I would suggest checking J Herbin colors and try to see if you find one that matches.

I'm inking up with Blue and Blue-black today.

So far here is what I found:

Baby Pink - Iroshizuku Kosmosu is terrific.

Red - The momiji which I love is not a match. You would do well with a color like Diamine Wild Strawberry or Poppy Red.

Clear Blue - Visconti Turquoise

Apple Green - Robert Oster Light Green

Apricot Orange - Oh, this is expensive. Sailor Anago Iro, Hatchimitus Honey or Sailor Apricot. I think you could get by with the regular Omas Orange.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm inking up with Blue and Blue-black today.

So far here is what I found:

Baby Pink - Iroshizuku Kosmosu is terrific.

Red - The momiji which I love is not a match. You would do well with a color like Diamine Wild Strawberry or Poppy Red.

Clear Blue - Visconti Turquoise

Apple Green - Robert Oster Light Green

Apricot Orange - Oh, this is expensive. Sailor Anago Iro, Hatchimitus Honey or Sailor Apricot. I think you could get by with the regular Omas Orange.

Amber! Thank you for the effort made to match the colours. I guess we could say that Pilot deserves a little recognition for using shades similar to much more expensive brands/lines. :o

Robert Oster RedOrange or Peach no go for Apricot equivalent?

Petit1 like a pretty wet ink too, the original is nicely saturated and nearly greasy.

I've tried adding PhotoFlo to some homebrew concoctions for Petit1.

• 6 months later...

I, too, recently bought some Petits and immediately started looking for bottled ink color matches.

I can personally attest that the Rohrer & Klingner Blu Mare is a very close, almost identical match to the clear blue. Here is a sample on cheap 60gsm paper:

DSC_0563.jpg

I used a Borghini V68 stylosfera (roller-ball) for the Blu Mare that might account for it looking a bit lighter here.

I am still looking for a match for the Baby Pink though... The Kosumosu looks too dark and too purplish in most pictures. Can anyone who has both the Baby Pink and Kosumosu post a side by side comparison? I have also been looking at the J. Herbin pinks, the Bouquet d' Artan and Rose Tendresse, but they don't look right to me either. Has anyone managed to find any other close matches?

Edited by sapient

I think your pictures are off Kosumosu is pretty close.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm posting up some pictures. I didn't have them inked at the same time. They are not perfect matches, but for me Pilot pink was actually too light.

Check out #60 and #263

In the 366 inks. I may also have them in the pink thread in the signature. I was trying to get the images posted but I'm still at work and it's 8:30 pm so I'm heading home.

I have a couple petit1's, one eyedropper and one cartridge with black.

I hate them both. The eyedropper will not stop leaking, even with a TON of silicon grease, and the other tends to dry out when left for a week.

I like the style, and for that reason, I'm on the wait list to get one of the new stipula passaporto's, which are designed to be eyedropper'd.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I found the petit baby pink in the 366 post, but not the kosumosu, the number seems to be missing; but I did find the kosumosu (but not the petit) in the pinks.

Assuming these scans are directly comparable, the two inks do look similar (similar hue) but the kosumosu is darker (lower saturation and luminosity) in a pretty noticeable way. From your own scans, the rose tendresse looks closer to me: it has more comparable luminosity, although it does have a more purplish hue. Of course scans are not the same thing as the real thing, so if you say the kosumosu is closer I will take your word for it. On the other hand, the kosumosu is about 3 times more expensive...

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_2_Ink/07-July/slides/IMG_20170717_170314.jpg

Now, the images are not showing the correct color if you can compare to colors that you know, but I hope this helps.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_2_Ink/07-July/slides/IMG_20170717_170122.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_2_Ink/07-July/slides/IMG_20170717_170118.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_2_Ink/07-July/slides/IMG_20170717_170108.jpg