The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo (Moonlight)

iroshizuku tsuki-yo blue-black

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 21:47

And now to perhaps one of the most famous of the Iroshizuku inks, Tsuki-yo. Well at least famous here on FPN for KaB's "most boring" thread. If you haven't checked it out, you should.

http://www.fountainp...i-yo/?p=3370870

Pen: Edison Premiere (F-Steel)

Papers: MvL=Mohawk via Linen, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, TR=Tomoe River.

Tsuki-yo is not as saturated as the Iroshizuku Asa-gao, or it's favorite competitor Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. But is has very good qualities: shading on nearly everything and sheen on less absorbent papers such as TR. You could say it's quite inoffensive in its blue-blackness, but in a way that is also it's charm. It would work in every school or business environment. And for one's own writing it is reliable and readily available. If you like brilliant colors, and retina-searing inks, Tsuki-yo is not for you, at least if it is your choice in ink.

fpn_1481923953__dscn1695.jpg

fpn_1481923984__dscn1696.jpg

fpn_1481924020__dscn1697.jpg

fpn_1481924065__dscn1691.jpg

fpn_1481924101__dscn1690.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 23:41

Thanks for the review. I'm in the camp that likes this ink. Tsuki-yo and shin-kai are both inks I tend to use at work - not flashy, but still obviously superior to a standard blue or black.

#3 DriftingSands

DriftingSands

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 00:55

Absolutely love this ink. So much so that I have 2 bottles on hand and a third under the tree for myself...

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:46

Your scans make the ink look a lot less green/teal than the sample I got....  I'm wondering if it's the paper.

I tried it after getting a letter from someone who used it (and in an absolutely gorgeous Spencerian hand at that).  But the ink didn't wow me.

Thanks for the review nonetheless.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• 2,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:18

It's definitely not teal, or even teal blue, on any of the papers I use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teal

#6 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:00

I, too, thought it was blue-black but when I described it as such in another thread, everyone said "no, it's a dark teal". I was especially surprised by this because I bought Tsuki-yo to replace Diamine Twilight and I remember thinking, when I did a comparison, that it was quite similar to Twilight but without its hint of green.

A lively back-and-forth ensued. I accepted that my definition of teal was probably too narrow and also that my perception of green might be slightly off. If I lay Tsuki-yo down next to Yama-dori, I can sort of see a teal-ishness but on its own it still looks blue-black to me.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#7 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:26

It seems to closely resemble my bottle of Akkerman #5 - Shocking Blue, of which Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet and Thistle Blue-Black powdered clerical ink are also close matches.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#8 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:41

Tsuki-Yo is an interesting ink, I got a bottle as a gift, and despite the fact I'm not a huge blue consumer its got my attention.

#9 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:25

Tsuki-Yo is an interesting ink, I got a bottle as a gift, and despite the fact I'm not a huge blue consumer its got my attention.

I would classify it as a teal, not a blue... But I know colour perception is different from person to person...

YNWA     JFT96

Instagram: inkyandy

#10 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,998 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:28

On my monitor it reads as a muted blue at the green end of its range, a calm, pleasant color. I always like to see shading in an ink because it so clearly distinguishes it from ballpoint. Elegant.

Thanks for the review!

James

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iroshizuku, tsuki-yo, blue-black

Sponsored Content

|