Alfred Dunhill Longitude Perpetual Calendar Ad2000 Le Fountain Pen

visvamitra

I was never interested in Dunhill pens. Mainly due to lack of knowledge. I would probably remain ignorant of this brand if vodnikvolsovecek wouldn't lend me another batch of pens to try. All the pens were packed in nice and big Dunhill Longitude box so I'll start by reviewing it first.

Packaging

The pen comes packed in a nice gift box with two drawers. There's a book in it and a pen.

The pen

fpn_1481917793__longitude_capped.jpg

fpn_1481917981__longitude_unposted.jpg

fpn_1481917966__longitude_posted.jpg

Designwise the pen combines classic torpedo shape with modern looks (polished metal). The lines are clean and the pen could be called minimalistic if only Dunhill decided to stick with clean metal looks. They didn't - there are some ornamentations like built-in perpetual calendar and false gem on the clip. Basically the pen is well designed, elegant and almost classy. Almost because I strongly dislike "jewels" like the one set in the clip.

Construction

fpn_1481917922__longitude_jewel.jpg

fpn_1481917889__longitude_detail1.jpg

fpn_1481917777__longitude_cap.jpg

The fit and finish is simply superb - brushed surface finish is partly gloss and partly matte. The cap screws on and off smoothly and silently and can be securely posted if that's your preference. Because the inside of the cap is made of plastic there should be no risk of scratching the barrel.

Once you look at the section you'll spot sudden step in diameter between the barrel and the section. Because I have medium / medium-small hands and I always pens very close to the nib it's not an issue for me. I can imagine however that those who tend to hold pens closer to the barrel may find it disturbing.

There's also this funky clip - it's retractable. Bu turning the top of the cap you can secure the pen when clipped to your pocket - the clip goes up and down while you rotate the knob at the top of the cap.

Nib

fpn_1481917950__longitude_nib2.jpg

fpn_1481918054__blekit5_kokuyo.jpg

fpn_1481922212__longitude_azure5_fp.jpg

Before putting pen to paper for the first time I didn't know what to expect from Dunhill. After doing it for a while I sat and thought to myself that I missed a lot. This nib is superb. I think it's the smoothest nib I've ever used, even more so tham my medium Omas Ogiva Alba nib. The 18k nib was made by Pilot and that clarifies things a little although none of Pilot nibs I've tried so fat was that smooth. The nib is small and quite elegant with part of it being matte. Seriously guys this is one of the best nibs I've ever used.

Filling system

fpn_1481917872__longitude_con.jpg

The pen uses Pilot converter and cartridge system. The included converter is a rebranded Pilot Con70 with a plunger button and a black finish. This filling system, while not really exciting, is convenient, easy to clean and works well.

Summary

While I don't fully enjoy the design because - for me - perpetual calendar and false jewel in the clip spoil clean lines I'm impressed by the quality of construction and writing performance of this pen. The nib is simply stellar. Sure, it's expensive and heavy pen, it won't suit everyone's taste. Personally I would call it almost perfect pen in terms of weight and pen-to-paper performance. Sadly the jewel in the clip and integrated perpetual calendar are deal breakers for me.

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Sagarb

• fountainbel

• gerigo

Top Posters In This Topic

I always like your reviews, this is another one..wonderful. Your photographs, composition, style..everything is mesmerizing. Thank you. By the way, it would have been better get to know about the weight and dimensions of the pen,and the price as well.

Sagar Bhowmick

Thank you Sagar. It seems I've missed the part about dimensions :/

I'll start with the price - as the pen is no longer produced there's no MSRP to it. I've found one auction and the price was close to 1000 $. I believe it may be possible to get it for less money but there's not many of these pen on the market.

Weight is 55 g, length 148 mm capped, 132 mm uncapped.

Haha... as you might have guessed it's a pilot pen disguised as a Dunhill. The nibs on those pens are amazing.

Thank you Sagar. It seems I've missed the part about dimensions :/

I'll start with the price - as the pen is no longer produced there's no MSRP to it. I've found one auction and the price was close to 1000 $. I believe it may be possible to get it for less money but there's not many of these pen on the market.

Weight is 55 g, length 148 mm capped, 132 mm uncapped.

:yikes: Thanks Visvamitra.

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick