2017 Philadelphia Pen Show

rajesh06

OK - I got tired of waiting for someone else to start the thread - so I figured I'd do it myself. Last year the show fell on on the only weekend that we had significant snowfall - so I missed the show for the first time in many years.

Who's going to the http://philadelphiapenshow.com/ and what's on your list?

I haven't thought through my list yet - other than the fact that R&K Blue Mare will probably be on it. I also will definitely being looking at http://www.franklin-christoph.com/ and http://stores.rkspens.com/.

I think I also need a Lamy Safari - because I think all FP fans should have one.

Anyone care to share your list?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kolagnostos

• Shrimpkin1

• Florida Blue

• inkstainedruth

I'll be there. And I have a list. Other than having some nib adjustment made on a few pens, the list is top secret!

Oh, I will be taking pictures.

I'll be there as long the weather permits. Last year was the

first time I missed the show in about 8 years due to the weather.

An Edison was on the list but I see that Brian Gray is not going.

I had hoped to have Richard Binder do some nib work but I also

see he is not going. As far as I can tell, the same applies to Rick Zorn.

I am hoping that Bryant Greer from Chatterly is there. A Visconti Opera

metal with a stub nib is top on the list. I tried one at Fountain Pen Hospital

recently and the nib is simply amazing!

Interested in seeing what Franklin-Christoph has up their sleeves for the show.

Other than that, I am just looking forward to being at the show and browsing.

It is always a fun time at the Philly Show.

I'm still waffling. Not only is it January in PA (the weather *always* being iffy at best) -- I'll also still be recovering from the Christmas trek (the in-laws not living close is a good thing, but also a bad thing). And I'm going to be in prep mode for something I'm running the following weekend at a local SCA event.

Additionally, my husband wants to go to some Makers Faire type thing in Hershey that weekend, so it's going to be a matter of juggling cars (Hershey is far enough from Philly that I can't just drop him off and go on to the show. Plus two sets of hotel room bills for that weekend -- right about the time that the Christmas bills will be coming in. Plus, even the day rate is more expensive that other shows I've been to. :(

At best, I'm considering doing going with him to the thing in Hershey and then day-tripping the show on Saturday only. But again, I can't predict the weather that far out (he might decide not to go to Hershey after all, for instance...). And truthfully -- from here in Pittsburgh, the show isn't that much closer than the one in Raleigh.... :huh: Maybe an hour closer, travel-wise (I puttered on the way down to the Triangle Show and back again, hitting antiques stores in various places, and generally made a long weekend out of it).

I hate this time of year (although that might just be the cabin fever setting in -- I haven't gone outside to even get the mail since Wednesday because of the cold and snow and freezing rain and wind chills in single digits...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I will definitely be attending the Philly Pen Show this year. Like the rest of you, last year was the first time in 4 years that I did not attend the show because of the bad snow we had that weekend. Hopefully the weather holds up as I look forward each year to going. I don't think I will be purchasing a pen (unless something catches my eye, or I see a deal I can't pass up), but I'm probably going to bring along a couple pens to get nib work done and I just enjoy browsing at what's available.

I just bought my first MB 146 on eBay as a Christmas present for myself so that pretty much spent my pen budget for awhile. Although, since writing with my 146 almost exclusively for the last few days, I've been lusting after the 149 to complete my trio along with my 144.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I missed last year cause of the snow.

I hope to attend this year.

My nice little puppy got a hold of some pens so I will be shopping in the parts bins.

I always look for ink bargains.

I always look at the eye candy.

I bring my wife and between us we leave broke.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Is it confirmed that Richard Binder isn't coming? He has been there in the past years for as long as I can remember.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Richard's next show, according to his own website, is Baltimore in March:

http://www.richardspens.com/

He has definitely been scaling back the number of shows he does. However, I see he will attend Long Island next year whereas he didn't this past year.

I will be attending Philadelphia as long as the snow doesn't stop me!

Rick Krantz and I will have our table there. Please stop by!

My list is very short. I'm looking for a certain pre-war Aurora Optima.

Fred

I may have to stop by as I need a section for an Esterbrook LJ!

I'm not at the Optima level yet :D

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I ploughed through the Philly snow last year--Saturday had surprisingly decent attendance.

This year, I'm after some Franklin-Christoph inks (Midnight Emerald and Urushi), plus whatever novel F-C pens show up.

Bryant's table is always hard to resist (I've never succeeded)...maybe a Danitrio...?

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been to Boston, Long Island and DC. How does the size compare with those?

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been to DC, Ohio, and (once each) to Boston/Commonwealth and to Raleigh/Triangle. My initial inclination is to guess that it's roughly the size of the Triangle Show, but I haven't been to Long Island (which always conflicts with the sideline business).

Unfortunately it looks as if I'm going to continue to wonder -- something came up the weekend of Philly that I really should go to. :(

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I haven't been to any other shows. At one point I heard that this was the 3rd largest show (after DC and LA) - but I don't know for certain. It generally fills 1.5 to 2 ballrooms if that is helpful.

I haven't been to any other shows. At one point I heard that this was the 3rd largest show (after DC and LA) - but I don't know for certain. It generally fills 1.5 to 2 ballrooms if that is helpful.

Yeah, but there's ballrooms and then there's ballrooms. The large ballroom at DC could probably fit at least two rooms the size of them one for the Triangle show (although that show did also have dealers in the hallways). The *small* ballroom (which is actually an "ell" off the main ballroom) I'd estimate to be about the size of the ballroom at the Commonwealth Show in 2015 -- it's TINY by comparison to the other shows I've been to (only 17 dealers).

The Ohio show is smaller than DC (but still pretty good sized) and larger than Triangle, I'd guess..

Philly has usually been larger than the Long Island show

based on trips to both shows. I would also have to say

that the Baltimore show might be very close in size to

the Philly show. The only other show I have been to is

the Miami show which is on the size of the Long Island

show.

The point I find interesting is that people like Edison Pen,

Richard Binder, Ron Zorn and Indy Pen Dance are skipping

the Philly Show based on their websites.

Still looking forward to the show as I missed last year for the

first time in a long time. Now, the darn weather better cooperate.

I plan to be there, it will be my first show. Got tickets last year but I couldn't even open my door with all the snow. I hope to see some of you guys and get a look at some pens I haven't seen other than online and try some inks.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I'll be there.

This was my first real year using and getting to know fountain pens. I'm not really looking to buy anything expensive or nice, but rather to learn about the different pens and get a feel for things.

The point I find interesting is that people like Edison Pen,

Richard Binder, Ron Zorn and Indy Pen Dance are skipping

the Philly Show based on their websites.

I don't believe any of them went to last year's show either. I'm not sure what the reason is, but they usually did attend when Bert Oser ran it. There's still going to be many prominent vendors though, but I always like bringing a pen to a show to get worked on.

I can't go as I ran out of money to even attend.. But I got called to plow snow .. So can everyone going please take plenty of pic??

Thanks