Esterbrook Jewel Replacement/repair Advice

Jobesmirage

I have recently bought two Esterbrook J pens with damaged jewels, one has both jewels damaged and the other has one bottom jewel damaged. What is the best way to do these repairs.

I can find the jewels for sale online but Im having a hard time figuring out how to actually do the repair.... Brian Andersons site recommends using a drill bit and drilling through the jewel piece and taking it out from there. Others have mentioned a knockout block. I do not have a knockout block but I do have a drill and I can try drilling through the jewel, cleaning out whatever is there and using a mallet to knock back in a jewel after using a dremel to sand down the ends a little bit.

What do you guys think? Advice?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• linearM

• Jobesmirage

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

I just replaced a jewel on the cap of one of my Esterbrooks. With mine the jewel and clip were missing and I noticed that what I could see where the jewel had been there was threading. I had another cap which was no good and could be used as a doner and so destroyed it to get at the jewel, Easterbrook caps are durable...it took a bit. I got the jewel out and the clip and screwed the jewel into the pen that needed the jewel and clip. So, I wouldn't suggest using a mallet to knock the jewel back in place. Carefully drilling out the old jewel sounds OK but be careful to do it down the center so you don't damage the threading.

For the barrel jewels, I use a knock-out block, and a 1/16" center punch. Those are the easy ones. For the cap jewel, I use a little mild heat, then gently work a thin single-edge razor blade around what edge may be left, and try to slowly lift it out by rotating the blade around the edge and gently pulling. That works *maybe* 25% of the time. After that, it's the Dremel and I rout it out. You really need to be sure that the clip is secure, and that the grommet opening is clean and round. I use a reamer to try and true the opening a little. For seating the new jewel, I use a little heat again, then a little spit (or even Astroglide), to start the fitting of the jewel. I use a bench vise, with a couple strips of leather on each side, and then slowly close the vise for the press fit.

The replacement jewels are pretty much exact, so they will be a really tight fit. You might need to shave down the shaft a hair to help get it in. The nice thing about the replacement jewels is that they are much more forgiving than the originals. They shouldn't break on you. They are made from acetal.

Gweimer1, from what you say it sounds as if the jewels you have replaced are not threaded. Are there some models of Esterbrook that have threaded jewels and some not?

The transition J pens had threaded jewels. There was the three-ridge toaster top, but also some of the round jewels with unbranded clips. After that, they should all be press-fit.

Gweimer1, from what you say it sounds as if the jewels you have replaced are not threaded. Are there some models of Esterbrook that have threaded jewels and some not?

My understanding is that few early Esterbrook J pens had screw in jewels but most are press fit, making it a little harder to replace. I might need to make/get a knockout block

Well, you learn something new every day. I just discovered that there are, in fact, some screw-in round jewels on some pens with stamped clips. Don't ask me how I know, but I would be very cautious with any pen that has a single jewel, and a flat bottom. :yikes:

Edited by gweimer1

Well, you learn something new every day. I just discovered that there are, in fact, some screw-in round jewels on some pens with stamped clips. Don't ask me how I know, but I would be very cautious with any pen that has a single jewel, and a flat bottom. :yikes:

Have you run into a threaded barrel jewel yet?

For the record I've never liked the idea of wedging a blade under the jewel and rocking it out.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.