The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Refill For A Parker Jotter

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jcp1st

jcp1st

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 20:24

Would like to find a ballpoint that will start immediately (seems like every one I now own has to have at least a couple of lines or circles or whatever drawn before the ink starts to flow) and doesn't blob.  Color of ink nor width of line are particularly important if those two criteria can be met.   Is there such an animal?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. - Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

#2 flatline

flatline

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:53

Get a blue or black fine point Fisher space pen refill and use the adapter that comes with it.

--flatline

#3 qvxb

qvxb

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:45

I suggest a medium Parker Quinkflow, black ink. The refill writes smooth and the ink is dark.

#4 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:11

Schmidt easyFLOW 9000 or Inxocrom gel refill.

#5 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:47

I've found most ballpoints do have this issue, because the air dries out the ink on the very end of the refill, so you need to write a few mm's to get some fresh ink around to the front, it's the nature of the design.

You didn't say about looking for any special type of refill, I would say try out the Uni Jetstream or Pilot Acroball, as good as any.

#6 IvoryParker

IvoryParker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 16:41

I would use a Parker medium black quinkflow refill.  I immensely enjoy these refills.  Rich dark and very little pressure required.  They do last a long time.  Ultimately, I would not put a chinese engine in a Mercedes Benz body

#7 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 20:38

There has been an interesting thread recently, testing lightfastness and water resistance of inks. IIRC EasyFLOW 9000 came out on top, while Fisher's was kinda weak.

#8 flatline

flatline

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:46

There has been an interesting thread recently, testing lightfastness and water resistance of inks. IIRC EasyFLOW 9000 came out on top, while Fisher's was kinda weak.

I just went back to that thread to see what you are talking about. The Fisher black did extremely well in the water resistance tests. The light fastness tests did show some fading, I suppose. If you plan to leave something important in the sun for months at a time, then perhaps you should choose something else.

--flatline

#9 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 934 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:57

My suggestion is get a refill from Private Reserve. The colors available are nice and they write well. I am uncertain who actually makes them for Private Reserve, but it is an organization in Germany.

#10 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• 1,002 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:44

"Best Refill For A Parker Jotter"

I've found most ballpoints do have this issue, because the air dries out the ink on the very end of the refill, so you need to write a few mm's to get some fresh ink around to the front, it's the nature of the design.

You didn't say about looking for any special type of refill, I would say try out the Uni Jetstream or Pilot Acroball, as good as any.

But I agree on you with both of your recommendations. I have and use both and I would say that they are on top of any ballpoint I have ever used.

#11 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:22

My suggestion is get a refill from Private Reserve. The colors available are nice and they write well. I am uncertain who actually makes them for Private Reserve, but it is an organization in Germany.

Private Reserve refill is re-branded Schmidt for USA.

http://www.passion4p...uct/900-8954636

#12 simar

simar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:43

+ 1 for the Quinkflow . I use the medium blue and it is a dark purplish blue ans very smooth writing .

I suggest a medium Parker Quinkflow, black ink. The refill writes smooth and the ink is dark.

#13 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:52

Schmidt Easyflow 9000 won me over.  My friends and family I tested this on liked the quinkflow, but when I put a Schmidt Easyflow 9000 in they "wowed" up and loved it.  Big difference I concur with.

A voice:  I'll write pages and pages, days upon days, to be able to breathe out a few lines,

I'll do whatever it takes to breathe out those few lines, where the breath breathes out on its own, in on its own,

To thine own...

...breath on its own.

#14 lurcho

lurcho

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 801 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 00:42

As already mentioned above, twice, the Schmidt Easyflow 9000 refill is a G2, and is as great a writer as hybrids are capable of being. On certain papers, like ordinary newsprint or kaolin-heavy magazine papers, it's the ideal thing, in my opinion. (Crosswords, circling programmes to watch, that kind of thing.) But it also works well on BnR, and other Oxford papers.

Like all pens and all pencils, it isn't ideal for every surface.

#15 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:12

Parker style gel refills work well for me.  They start immediately, they're much smoother than standard ballpoint refills, and they come in a variety of colors and widths.  I prefer the clear refills, because you can see how much ink you're getting and how much is left.  I'm not loyal to any particular brand.  I buy the least expensive ones I can find on eBay.

Regards,

Ray

#16 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:40

As already mentioned above, twice, the Schmidt Easyflow 9000 refill is a G2, and is as great a writer as hybrids are capable of being. On certain papers, like ordinary newsprint or kaolin-heavy magazine papers, it's the ideal thing, in my opinion. (Crosswords, circling programmes to watch, that kind of thing.) But it also works well on BnR, and other Oxford papers.

Like all pens and all pencils, it isn't ideal for every surface.

The schmidt easyflow 9000 is very good for those papers...  I find it can traverse situations my Fountain Pens can't reach by being used, as the name denotes, as a jotter, on the go, in inexpensive memo books at least.

It turned my Jotter into my EDC pen, always in a memo book.

Everyone I give a Parker Jotter to lights up with a big smile when they try it with the SEF 9000.

Edited by IndigoBOB, 11 October 2017 - 05:50.

A voice:  I'll write pages and pages, days upon days, to be able to breathe out a few lines,

I'll do whatever it takes to breathe out those few lines, where the breath breathes out on its own, in on its own,

To thine own...

...breath on its own.

#17 adamselene

adamselene

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 19:53

I love the Itoya needle point gel refills in all my Parker and compatible ballpoints. Clear refill so you know when it's done. Water resistance is not a feature, regretably.

No affiliation, but I buy by the dozen on fleabay from the guy in Temecula CA.

#18 keybers

keybers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 14:31

My experience with EasyFLOW 9000 was that it blobs.

My preference is with Stabilo refills, although AFAIK they exist only in medium.

#19 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 14:34

The Parker is good, but it's the greasiest thing I have ever dealt with in finer pens.

Fisher works well, I found a cache of them on sale that I'm working with in Parkers and MBs these days.

#20 C95

C95

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 21:34

How can the quink flow be so smooth and dark, I have used a 1.0 medium but It was pale, the 0,8 fine seemed much smoother and darker!

Sponsored Content

|