The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Pacific Blue Le Ink 2017

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 22:33

We have running threads on influence of bottles on purchase and influence of names. Given these are variables which we agree affect [some] purchasers, then it is rational to re-market the same ink in a different package or with a different name. Whether it proves profitable in the short term or enhances reputations is another matter.

So long as we know it is the same ink, this is fine by me. I call Waterman's ink blue whether they call it Serenity or Obsession or alt.pink.

If Lamy would re-issue Dark Lilac then I will let them rest on their laurels.

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

Sponsored Content

#42 theoddcopy

theoddcopy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 23:04

Looks like liquid cotton candy

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page. 

#43 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 23:17

Recycling ink, quite dissappointing. I agree on the Lilac matter. Bring Lilac back.

#44 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 23:31

I do like the pen color, but disappointed that the ink is going to be the same as Lamy Turquoise. I was hoping for something a bit more spectacular along the lines of the shading/sheen of Dark Lilac.

Edited by DrPenfection, 01 February 2017 - 23:35.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#45 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:18

Seriously? Well I guess only one Dark Lilac is enough to use up whatever limited creativity or ink making talent they have.

Well, let's not be too down and dour... I'm still holding out high hopes for their Petrol ink to match the LE Safari. :D

- Anthony

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#46 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:40

We have running threads on influence of bottles on purchase and influence of names. Given these are variables which we agree affect [some] purchasers, then it is rational to re-market the same ink in a different package or with a different name. 

But they didn't even do that:lol:  :P  

The LE bottles are identical to the standard ones, and the packaging doesn't mention the ink's name.

#47 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:51

Well huh.  That's a bit disappointing to say the least.  If they're just relabeling Lamy Turquoise, without changing the ink at all, I'll try a sample of that and then decide if I like it enough to get a full bottle of Turquoise/Pacific Blue/whatever.

At least with Dark Lilac, both the pen and the ink were really different from their previous lineups.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#48 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:24

Well, who can blame them; they haven't gotten over the hollering from Dark Lilac's failure to hit all markets in bottles & prompt disappearance!  This way they will be able to satisfy all customers & hopefully we will forget about watching for Dark Lilac's reappearance.  

I think it is a "cheeky" way of coming up with a limited edition, but from a "cost analysis" it will be a winner for the production side of the company.  (They may have had to pay large bonuses for the team that made Dark Lilac possible.)

Since they are now offering the "Free Lamy 2000  Makrolon" fountain pen with purchase of the Special Edition Black Amber one, they may be hesitant to have a lot of "special editions," forthcoming.

#49 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 16:48

Since they are now offering the "Free Lamy 2000  Makrolon" fountain pen with purchase of the Special Edition Black Amber one, they may be hesitant to have a lot of "special editions," forthcoming.

Off-topic for this thread, but I think the Lamy 2000 Black Amber/Makrolon promotion is specific only to Goulet Pens.  In a recent podcast, Brian Goulet outright said they are running the promotion because they overbought the Black Amber and had to clear out stock. (I considered it until I saw the price tag on the Black Amber).

#50 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:18

Got an announcement from Wonder Pens that included this photo of the new Al Star Pacific:

fpn_1486267578__lamy_pacific_crop.jpg

Color looks deeper than the original picture vis posted.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#51 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:01

Got an announcement from Wonder Pens that included this photo of the new Al Star Pacific:

That does look deeper Chromantic. Well, I guess I'll find out in a few days... I ordered one from Vaness and got an e-mail that my order is ready for shipping, so they must already have them in stock. :)

- Anthony

#52 Alteyz

Alteyz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:41

That's specific to Goulet pens only unfortunately it's due to them over ordering, the LE being pretty lack luster and reports of it developing rust spots.

#53 EclecticCollector

EclecticCollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:32

That's specific to Goulet pens only unfortunately it's due to them over ordering, the LE being pretty lack luster and reports of it developing rust spots.

This is the first I've heard of issues with rust, and a quick Google search turned up nothing. Do you have any sources for this?

#54 CAG_1787

CAG_1787

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 19:43

My understanding is that they changed the cap on the ink bottle and that's about it.
“You cultivate the essential virtues: high purpose, intelligence, decency, humility, fear of the Lord, and the passion for freedom.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

#55 Alteyz

Alteyz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 22:48

This is the first I've heard of issues with rust, and a quick Google search turned up nothing. Do you have any sources for this?

Unfortunately that bit of info was from a few facebook posts in groups (I tried searching for the posts again but facebook's search feature is horrible...Ill do some more digging later) which talked about the development of minor rust spots on the pen. I was made to believe it was a very rare occurrence but a small handful of people claimed to simply just buff it away so I'm on the fence with this if it's an actual problem or simply due to bad storage conditions.

Edited by Alteyz, 05 February 2017 - 22:48.

#56 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:31

Back to Lamy Pacific Blue - pass! I doubt this will sell like Dark Lilac.

#57 Russianwolf

Russianwolf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 15:29

Goulet has a swatch up showing both Pacific Blue and Turquoise. They do appear different.

https://www.gouletpe...nk/p/LMY-LT52PC

Pacific Blue, being a little darker.

The paper towel showing the biggest difference.

Edited by Russianwolf, 08 February 2017 - 15:31.

#58 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• 1,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2017 - 16:27

On the normal paper it's the same. Any differences are by production tolerances I would say.

Got my Pacifico yesterday. Amazing color.

LamyALStarpacifico.jpg

Edited by Astron, 08 February 2017 - 16:28.

#59 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 00:32

Hi Chromantic,

My Pacific Al Star arrived today and it is much darker than most of the pictures out there... to my eyes, it makes me think of Windex.

- Anthony

#60 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:08

Goulet has a swatch up showing both Pacific Blue and Turquoise. They do appear different.

https://www.gouletpe...nk/p/LMY-LT52PC

Pacific Blue, being a little darker.

The paper towel showing the biggest difference.

I looked at that link, and in one of the images the writing with Turquoise looks a little darker....  (I never trust swatches to be an accurate representation of the color -- I try to look at the actual writing).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

|