Empty Of Clouds (Or Even Ideas!)

Cryptos

I could not figure what the design choice you made that you later thought to be wrong???

I, too, have enjoyed deciphering your posts. Glad to see that you have not vaporized.

fpn_1481527694__600_balladeer_ghost-koi_

Now this is how a custom pen is made. Beautiful material, excellent fit and finishing, and a wonderful maker who is a joy to communicate with. The downsides here were: a long, long wait time. Though not as long as some. And I made a design choice that has haunted me ever since receiving the pen and has resulted in it going unused. That’s a cross I have to bear, and about all I deserve really. A near perfect pen ruined by the buyer.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• catbert

• Bo Bo Olson

• corgicoupe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the cap. I chose a clip. While there is nothing wrong in this per se, it meant that the cap required a finial and that means a piece of the material that doesn't pattern-match. This may not bother some people, but considering my personal reasons for choosing this material it is a serious error in judgement, and has essentially killed the pen for me.

1. The truth is that I don't have any desire to self-congratulate. I work for other people, in service to them. My job is to facilitate theirs. They are the ones who should get the credit. I already get paid. Is that not an expression of my worth to the people I work for?

2. That looks suspiciously like wisdom. I have no truck with such exotic ventures. :D My mistakes are as so many empty seashells littering the shores of life. What can you do, eh.

Besides which, to have wrongly ordered a custom pen (at least from a personal design aesthetic) is a timely reminder that the nicer things in life are meant for others. Not for me.

1. It is possible to ease up on the self-abasement without lapsing into self-congratulation.

My work entailed similar facilitation. Used to tell myself it was the reward in itself. Not so sure now.

2. You will of course do as you please, but recognize that this is choice not destiny.

1. I think it depends on the perspective. For me, as with many others, to be able to bring a project to fruition in a precise fashion gives a great deal of satisfaction. So much so at times that it amazes me that I get paid for it too! However, not having any education, skills or inbuilt talents is just a fact and not an exercise in self-abasement.

2. Indeed. At the moment the pen is sitting in the drawer and I am going through the process of giving myself a thorough and thoroughly deserved metaphorical beating over my lack of attention to detail. It's a costly lesson.

1.  I think it depends on the perspective.  For me, as with many others, to be able to bring a project to fruition in a precise fashion gives a great deal of satisfaction. So much so at times that it amazes me that I get paid for it too!  However, not having any education, skills or inbuilt talents is just a fact and not an exercise in self-abasement.

Yup, it always depends on perspective. :) Perhaps I didn't work on as many projects that seem worthwhile in retrospect. Must respectfully disagree re skills and talents, at least, having seen examples of your writing and drawing.

2. Indeed. At the moment the pen is sitting in the drawer and I am going through the process of giving myself a thorough and thoroughly deserved metaphorical beating over my lack of attention to detail.  It's a costly lesson.

Again, must disagree re 'deserved'. But inflict on yourself (and your pen) what you will.

I will. I reckon that if I get in first and do it myself it will dissuade others from doing it for me! :)

Yeah, people were lining up to rubbish you and that Scriptorium ...

Not the pen, of course, just me and my presumption. :rolleyes:

The pen is by far the most beautiful pen that I have ever seen, or ever will see. It fits my hand perfectly - serendipity, nothing more - but that cap... I think when expectations are at a particular level they also become somewhat fragile.

I've bought some frightfully crummy pens in the last couple of years (the majority of the stuff I've had really), so the getting over the disappointment of them was relatively easy. This one though has left me feeling deeply unhappy. It shouldn't but it has.

As far as costs go, well that has all been recouped in the 7 month wait to have it made. It's not the cost that causes the pain, it's the asinine way that I did not do my homework before making a decision on the design.

Not the pen, of course, just me and my presumption. :rolleyes:

The presumption lies squarely with those who unwisely attempt long-distance counsel during these occasional funks. As with the third-person episode, one can only hope that some are entertained ...

The pen is by far the most beautiful pen that I have ever seen, or ever will see.  

Always such certainty about the future. 

It fits my hand perfectly - serendipity, nothing more - but that cap... I think when expectations are at a particular level they also become somewhat fragile.

I've bought some frightfully crummy pens in the last couple of years (the majority of the stuff I've had really), so the getting over the disappointment of them was relatively easy.  This one though has left me feeling deeply unhappy. It shouldn't but it has.  As far as costs go, well that has all been recouped in the 7 month wait to have it made. It's not the cost that causes the pain, it's the asinine way that I did not do my homework before making a decision on the design.

So, in another seven months or less, and for a fraction of what you've spent so far, you could 'bring a project to fruition in a precise fashion' and have the satisfaction of a pen that delights in every respect? Or you could feel asinine. Tough call.

I think for someone like me buying off the shelf should be the safest bet.

BTW, I don't feel asinine. I am asinine. Didn't you get the memo? ;)

As for a new cap... well, I'd have to sell the Parker Duofold, Waterman 52 and Mabie Todd SF2 in order to be able to hope to afford it. Tricky choice.

Redesign the clip. Look at the clip of a Geha 725....for a clip that is perfect....a couple of welll designed lines made IMO at least top three classiest clips I've seen. ...the wheel of your clip is fine.

Top the cap being screwed up is the maker's mistake....in not using the same core.

Maybe, when you redesign your clip, you can do a fence/band up on the top to hid the junction. There are six or 8 possibilities. I'd go no higher than 1/4th cap top length. Art Decco may be too streng/geometric.... Not really enough space for the mid '30's Italian Flying Art Decco if that is what's it's called.

Art Nouveau, is quite wide a style and French if frilly, may be better than German (Darmstart style)....then there is in either case, late, middle or early. :D Something to dither about for quite a long time.

A decorated band will hid the junction.

That you wanted a clip was understandable. It is to go out viewing the world from a shirt pocket; not be worshiped in it's very own temple on your desk.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think for someone like me buying off the shelf should be the safest bet.

BTW, I don't feel asinine. I am asinine. Didn't you get the memo? ;)

As for a new cap... well, I'd have to sell the Parker Duofold, Waterman 52 and Mabie Todd SF2 in order to be able to hope to afford it. Tricky choice.

And yet asininity does not preclude owning nice pens. (I should know.) :)

If your blazing enthusiasm for those three pens at the top of this thread is any indication, selling them to fund a new cap might be the way to go.

@ BBOlson. No. The clip was all wrong. Any clip would be wrong. This pen should not have a clip. The clip and finial have destroyed the continuity and flow of the material. Note that this is nothing to do with what the maker has done, this is entirely 100% my own stupid error.

And yet asininity does not preclude owning nice pens. (I should know.) :)

If your blazing enthusiasm for those three pens at the top of this thread is any indication, selling them to fund a new cap might be the way to go.

Does it not?

And yes, you are right. Three more pens to get rid of. Another long wait to see if they will make enough to cover a new cap. Another long wait to get a new cap. As the song says, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Most of the time I feel like I am robbing Peter...

Unfortunately, I've never made a picture of the Geha 725 clip. I have a MB clip with two lines from that era also; but it lacks the class of the slightly ovaled and ovaled lines of the 725 clip.

It is astounding to me what that ovaling does for class.

Before..... :headsmack: :crybaby:

Slight differences make world of difference.

If you want to get rid of you clip...ok...but you still need a fence...border covering the cut.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think that a post showing the top 12 or so favorite pens like the one opening the thread is a very interesting format. We should have more! Well done!

1. I got the third-person thing.

2. I get the cap/clip thing. Unsure whether that would ruin what appears a good-sized, attractive pen for me, but I can see it, and get it. Also BTDT: 'Why on earth did I EVER order (fill in the blank) instead of (also fill in the blank)?”

3. I hope you find your Happy Pen some day.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1. Neat, it was funny to think that way, though not everyone appreciated or even got the joke.

2 & 3. It's like when you wallpaper a room and you step back and notice you've made an error. Every time you step into that room your eyes are drawn to it, even though other people say it's not noticeable. Note, I've done this myself. Then you have to re-paper at least one whole wall to get it right.

I did find my perfect pen, at least in theory. I screwed up the physical part though.

I think these things feel more acute to me because of the additional obstacles I have to overcome before acquiring the pens. A single mistake can mean months of wasted time and money.

Okay, the Waterman, Duofold and Mabie Todd are going to go. Along with the Asa TransNauka and a bottle of Lamy Dark Lilac. That should get enough to pay for a new cap, don't you think?

I was quite taken with the frosted glass look of the Asa.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.