The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Italix From Mr. Pen Should I Buy?

italix fountain pen mr. pen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 15:05

Hello, everyone!

So I have decided that my next pen is going to be an Italix from Mr. Pen.  All of the models interest me and what like to hear peoples on input on which model I should obtain first as my first Italix Pen.  No matter which model I choose I am going to go with either a Medium Italic Nib, or a Medium Stub.  I'm thinking I should go with The Churchman's Prescriptor or the Parson's Essential. 

Sponsored Content

#2 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 17:39

Since these pens are from the Far East and made of heavy brass, what's the difference between these pens and a well-tuned Jinhao? Seems like the $50+ difference is quite hefty for some tuning.

Edited by MuddyWaters, 11 December 2016 - 17:40.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#3 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 17:43

Differences: craftsmanship, build quality, nib selection, nib and feed performance, quality control, converter quality. Having used both, I'd probably go with the Parson's Essential, with proportions that are a little easier to get used to. The nibs are superb.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#4 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 18:50

Churchman's prescriptor.

#5 Cezza

Cezza

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 21:45

If you want a more "conventional" feel, go with the Parson's Essential. The section is a lot more friendly than the Churchman and, in my opinion, the cigar shape looks a bit better. Saying that, I'm eyeing up the Churchman next as it looks robust. 

Nevertheless, the nibs are ground to the same specification by Mr Ford so writing style won't vary too much. I definitely recommend MrPen though, excellent service and their pens are some of my favourites. 

#6 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 23:33

Parson's Essential...excellent pen...great Peter Ford grinds.

#7 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 23:33

Churchman's prescriptor.

Sbre Brown is right: this is a great name for a fountain pen :P

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#8 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 23:44

Since these pens are from the Far East and made of heavy brass, what's the difference between these pens and a well-tuned Jinhao? Seems like the $50+ difference is quite hefty for some tuning.

I have heard this kind of comparison before.

If you can find the quality of the Essential for less, please buy the other pen. I have never found a Chinese pen of this quality and looks with a medium stub nib this smooth. I have modified a Jinhao x750, but that pen body is slightly inferior, the nib is far inferior, and for the extra $50 from Mr. Pen you get the better nib (multiple options), the grind, and the more classic looks (which I care for). To end up with a pen from China of comparable merit, you have to buy a second nib and either grind it yourself or pay someone else to do it--and the shipping. Unless you can buy a pen for less, you might as well pay Mr. Ford to do all this and send it to your mailbox ready to go.

#9 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,931 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:03

The Parson's Esential is classy and sits nicely in the hand. The Captain's Commission is heavier, and the cap is pretty. I have a medium Italic on my Captain's Commission, and theres not a huge amount of line variation (Peter Ford says this on the website). It might be worthwhile considering a broad nib if you want to see an appreciable difference, but then I'm not particularly skilled at using stubs and Italics.

As far as Jinhao vs Italix - they are not the same. The build quality of the Italix is superiour, the nibs and caps fit - and if there's something wrong, Mr Ford will do his best to fix it.

#10 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:35

I have all three of these pens and can say that each is different in character and the way they write. The Parsons Essential is the more conservative pen. It's of average size and thickness. Is brass cigar shape, with piano lacquer on top, but not heavy in the hand, as it is well balanced. The nib is smaller #5, which works with the size of the pen just fine. These are everyday carry workhorse pens.
The Captains Commission, and Churchman's Prescriptor are both larger pens with a big #6 size nib.
I have both and can tell you that I love them both, but they are totally different pens. The Churchman's Prescriptor is larger, fatter (think mb146) and feels lighter weight. For its size and somewhat "lack of lines" it is very comfortable to hold, and a wonderful writer. It can be posted by placing the cap on the end of the barrel and pressing until you hear a click.(which is kind of cool)
The Captains Commission is heavier due to its big metal cap. If you always write posted, you may find it uncomfortably heavy on the back end. Unposted it's a dream. The nib is a big juicy #6 size that just wants to write and write. Mr Pen's own description says that this pen has a very healthy ink flow. I bought a medium nib. I had to search around for a dry ink to turn it around. If I had to do it again I would get fine.

#11 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 22:58

Thanks, everyone!!! I am going to start with the Parson's Essential. 

#12 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:53

Good choice. Come back and show us how it writes.

#13 pjford

pjford

Italix at MrPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:21

Mid November 2017 we add two new colours to the Italix Parson's Essential line. Canary Yellow and Purple. We already offer black, amber, blue, green, burgundy.

flowlittle.png                    www.mrpen.co.uk

#14 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

Education is important...But fountain pens are importanter

• Remembered Fondly
  • 1,460 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:44

What! no deep burgundy Churchmans yet? :(
:D :D

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock, 21 September 2017 - 12:44.

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

Every cloud though,  If there was no rain, there’d be no RAINBOWS.

My top tip:-

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

#15 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:50

Just purchased the Italix Parson's Essential in the beautiful burgundy colour with an italic broad nib. Pen is delightful 👍

#16 stevekolt

stevekolt

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 15:39

pjford, will the new colors be available as part of the 3 pen set of Parson's Essential?

#17 overwriter

overwriter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 16:04

Agreeing with TSherbs here. I have some very cheap Chines pens and they write ok. Surprisingly ok for the price but my Parson’s Essential medium stub writes beautifully all day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: italix, fountain pen, mr. pen

Sponsored Content

|