Asa Maya: A Review Of A Dream Pen

Sagarb

Recently we had a fountain pen meet in Kolkata arranged by Mr. Subramanium (our loving Subbu) of ASA Pens.How grand and colorful evening it was..!! We had a long session of pen talk, chat, showing each others collections, ink testing, nib tuning,etc etc..and finally Subbu surprised us by launching his new dream product..."MAYA". He said ,"Maya was in my dream for long which is conceptualized and fulfilled today." He gave each of us a "Maya" as a gift.Thank you Subbu, I feel its warmth till now in my fingers...

fpn_1481433589__20161128_191009.jpg

Launching of Maya,Mr.subramanium is in aqua green polo neck T-shirt

Maya means "illusion". Subbu wanted to put that feeling into it. I must review it, so here it is:

Appearance,Design & Built:

The ASA Maya features a black brushed finished hard rubber(ebonite) body,chrome accents, and a medium #6 steel nib. Though my version is regular(eyedropper)it comes in 3 in 1 feeling system as well .It is completely a handmade pen and the craftsmanship is immense.The brushed finish is applied by hand and a laborious process because the rings get attached after that.

Design wise it’s a classic with simple straight lines for the cap and with only a slight tapering at the barrel end. The top of the cap and the bottom of the barrel are diamond shaped and mirror polished which made this pen more exquisite.

fpn_1481444919__1maya.jpg

My "Maya"

fpn_1481433844__2caped__uncapped_copy.jp

Capped and uncapped

"Maya" is very robust,well constructed and well engineered pen.The hard rubber (ebonite) used here is high quality. Since the quality of the ebonite, it is very light in weight and gives an effortless writing for a long duration. It's a regular size pen so there's no problem in writing with it posted.It has every quality to be a perfect EDC pen I must say.

fpn_1481434704__3posted_copy.jpg

Posted

The clip and cap bands are chrome finished. The clip ends up with teardrop design and ASA Logo is imprinted vertically on it.It is nice springy and linen friendly as well.The cap is screw type and opens up in 5 turns.Cap bands look good though they seem to me little weak.I think ASA may introduce some thicker bands in future.

fpn_1481434800__4cap.jpg

Cap,clip and cap bands

Nib & feed:

This is my first experience with ASA nib, and it is superb. Maya comes with #6 nib. My nib writes between fine and medium, I think it's Indian 'F'. It gives very generous flow and a subtle feedback of it gives me more pleasure of writing.It is chrome finished and ASA symbol is nicely engraved on the top of the nib as well. I liked the logo.It comes with highly finned Sheaffer NOS type ebonite feeds in ED versions which I have been given.This finned feed helps to avoid the burping kind of issues easily.

fpn_1481434934__5nibs.jpg

Nib

fpn_1481435593__6feed_copy.jpg

Feed

fpn_1481435625__7dismantles.jpg

Dismantled

Writing Experience:

I have been using this pen since 2 weeks and haven't found any burping issues or any kind of obstruction yet.It's a real pleasure to writing with it for long session which I have already experienced.It has already taken its place within the first row of my EDC pens.

fpn_1481435668__8.jpg

Size comparisons: Advocate vs Maya vs 78G Writing sample

Weight & Dimensions:
Diameter – Barrel: Max 15 mm and 12 mm at the taper end.
Diameter – Cap :15 mm
Diameter – Section: 13 mm at Base and 12 mm near Lip
Length – Barrel: 87 mm
Length – Cap: 65 mm
Length – Nib: 35 mm
Length – Capped: 145 mm
Length – Posted: 173 mm
Weight – Overall: 24 gms
Max Ink Capacity –Eyedropper: 3 ml & Converter: 1.05 ml

Cost & Value:

ASA is very popular for their low and reasonable prices. Maya is really a VFM pen.No one could offer this kind of quality product in this low cost except ASA I believe.

So not going for it not would not be a wise choice IMHO.For inquiry about prices, click here.

Conclusion:

Physically or technically, ASA has always shown their expertise to making handmade fountain pens in the past, this is their new master stroke. As the days are passing by, my love for "Maya" is going into deeper and deeper.

Best Regards,

sagar Bhowmick

P.s. I had already reviewed few Asa pens in the past. Those who are interested please click the links below:

Link 1- Asa Azzadi

Link 2- Asa Nauka

Link 3- Asa Heritage

Link 4 -Asa Galactic

Link 5- Asa Daily

Link 6- Asa I Can
Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• subbucal

• Jamerelbe

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sagarb - well made review. I'm considering buying this pen but I would like to ask you about one thing. Is the clip made of good quality steel? WHile I enjoy my Gama Airborne I must say the clip is poorly made and with time it became loose.

Thanks Viswamitra.

As far as I am concern this clip is very good in quality.It's very springy and sturdy as well.

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

Wow Sagar for such an awesome review of this pen. It was my pleasure to meet you all during the pen meet.

The pictures and descriptions are excellent...thanks for reviewing this beauty.

Sagarb - well made review. I'm considering buying this pen but I would like to ask you about one thing. Is the clip made of good quality steel? WHile I enjoy my Gama Airborne I must say the clip is poorly made and with time it became loose.

Hi,

This clip is high quality steel, sturdy and has good spring, you must not have the issues here.

Very informative review Sagarb. I think this pen really strikes the balance between value quality and cost

Every man who repeats the dogma of Mill that one country is no fit to rule another country must admit that one class is not fit to rule another class.

B R Ambedkar

Wow Sagar for such an awesome review of this pen. It was my pleasure to meet you all during the pen meet.

The pictures and descriptions are excellent...thanks for reviewing this beauty.

Thanks dada, pleasure is all mine. :)

Sagar Bhowmick

I'm buying this pen only because of your review, *F*A*N*T*A*S*T*I*C*

Ha - ha-ha...thanks very much Sanjay.. :D

Sagar Bhowmick

Very informative review Sagarb. I think this pen really strikes the balance between value quality and cost

Thank you...

Sagar Bhowmick

Thank you for an informative review, Sagar. The aerometric tube in the eyedropper filler space -- does that equalize air exchange and prevent burping?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers