Pilot Vanishing Point Re-Design Wish

Vunter

I had the pleasure of testing a Vanishing Point the other day and really loved the pen; however what prevented me from purchasing the pen was the clip. The clip doesn't effect my grip too much other than every know and then the clip does kind of annoy. Anyone else wish they would move the clip to the back of the pen? I realize this will probably never happen and this thread has no point other than to let me cry a little inside knowing that sadly this pen will not be added to my collection.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vunter

• ISW_Kaputnik

• Buzz_130

• invisuu

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The clip is where it is so that if you tuck it into a pocket the nib is pointing up, to prevent possible ink leaks. Repositioning is not possible due to this. They could, however, redesign the nib to be less obtrusive. I personally do not have an issue with the design.

There is a version called the Capless Decimo which is slimmer overall and on which the clip feels less in the way (to me).

It is possible to remove the clip entirely. Doing this, if you aren't sure what you're doing, risks at least cosmetic damage to the pen. With that warning, here's a link to some instructions. I have a couple of Vanishing Points where I paid a little extra to have that seller remove the clip, but he's retired now. They look good that way, but of course, you no longer have the convenience of carrying them in a shirt pocket; you need some sort of pen case or pen sleeve.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

i agree about the clip. The VP falls on my list of "must try before buy" due to the position of that clip. However, I'd like Pilot to shave weight and size off the pen. I haven't tried the Decimo (and probably won't), but I understand many of my changes may already be incorporated in a seperate model.

Buzz

There is a version called the Capless Decimo which is slimmer overall and on which the clip feels less in the way (to me).

It is possible to remove the clip entirely. Doing this, if you aren't sure what you're doing, risks at least cosmetic damage to the pen. With that warning, here's a link to some instructions. I have a couple of Vanishing Points where I paid a little extra to have that seller remove the clip, but he's retired now. They look good that way, but of course, you no longer have the convenience of carrying them in a shirt pocket; you need some sort of pen case or pen sleeve.

Just read this article; looks pretty easy. I would consider doing this; although it would bother me with the two open slots on the tip. I don't clip my pens so even if they sold a version without a clip would be cool. I was also thinking since my city library rents 3d-printers I could 3D print a tip; although it wouldn't be metal.

Vunter- post this on the Pen from Japan sub-forum on FPN, it is lower down in the FPN forum's main page. Then you will get a lot of people who are into Japanese pens and who know all the ins and outs of design regarding the Vanishing Point will be able to contribute to discuss the points you raised.

i agree about the clip. The VP falls on my list of "must try before buy" due to the position of that clip. However, I'd like Pilot to shave weight and size off the pen. I haven't tried the Decimo (and probably won't), but I understand many of my changes may already be incorporated in a seperate model.

Buzz

The Decimo is 30% lighter and a millimeter or so thinner than the VP. The clip is thinner with in my opinion has a more comfortable design. I have a VP that used to be my daily carry, but never cared for the weight and girth. I used it because it was convenient. Since purchasing the Decimo, my VP has stayed unused in a drawer. The Decimo is my daily carry and I really enjoy writing with it.

The clip didn't bother me. I sold mine off because the click of the mechanism was so loud it made other people in meetings I was in look up. I've never bought another because I'm not sure if it was an issue with that pen, or with the design.

JS