The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mabie Todd Swan Plug Feed

10 replies to this topic

#1 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:57

This model has been a personal curse. The first one I bought was lost to history when the envelope arrived open and empty. The second one spent well over a month in customs in San Francisco. I finally got a refund. Eventually it was returned to the seller for having an insufficient address (although it was addressed just fine).

Finally I purchased one originating in the US and it came.  Posting pictures to share.  It is a very nice writer. Flexible from extra fine to a very nice bold. In person, it is much finer both normal and flexed that it seems in pictures. Beautiful however. It suffers from blobbing as it warms to the hand. I keep a tissue nearby to wipe the pen on as blobs form. But after only a minute to two, it settles down and works as it should.

I filled it via the plug as shown in the ad. It works well that way.

This one is a 4670.  There is a mystery imprint as well - "LP - 0"

fpn_1481341588__swan_4500___01.jpgfpn_1481341609__swan_4500___02.jpg fpn_1481341619__swan_4500___03.jpg fpn_1481341627__swan_4500___04.jpg fpn_1481341635__swan_4500___05.jpg fpn_1481341643__swan_4500___06.jpg fpn_1481341653__swan_4500___07.jpg fpn_1481341665__swan_4500___08.jpg fpn_1481341672__swan_4500___09.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Lelouch

Lelouch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:06

Beautiful
I've never seen an ad for that before, very nice 😄👍

#3 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:44

I have a Mabie Todd very much like the one you have, an eyedropper with an over/under feed.  I also had problems with it blobbing.  One thing that I have tried with my other eyedropper fillers of about the same vintage is grasping my hand around the barrel with the nib up to warm the barrel.  My theory is that I sort of pre expand the air in the pen, when I hold it for writing I think the air inside actually cools because not as much heat is transferred to barrel.  I don't think I had tried this method with the Mabie Todd...perhaps I will fill it and see if it works.

I had wondered about the wire that I found in the pen and assumed it was part of the feed system.  I appreciate your adding the ad for the pen. Mine doesn't have any number designation on the end of the barrel, though it does have the smaller diameter end for posting.

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:13

I tried to hold it to warm it, and ink blobbed out the feed anyway. Then again, I was using it on and off all day, so there was still ink in the feed when I tried the pre-warming maneuver.

I figure it is all part of the charm of a 100+ year old pen.

#5 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:18

I have a Mabie Todd very much like the one you have, an eyedropper with an over/under feed.  I also had problems with it blobbing.  One thing that I have tried with my other eyedropper fillers of about the same vintage is grasping my hand around the barrel with the nib up to warm the barrel.  My theory is that I sort of pre expand the air in the pen, when I hold it for writing I think the air inside actually cools because not as much heat is transferred to barrel.  I don't think I had tried this method with the Mabie Todd...perhaps I will fill it and see if it works.

I had wondered about the wire that I found in the pen and assumed it was part of the feed system.  I appreciate your adding the ad for the pen. Mine doesn't have any number designation on the end of the barrel, though it does have the smaller diameter end for posting.

The wire in the plug feed seems to have a different function from that in the 1500-style Swan over-under feed pens with a twist wire wedged in the feed.

In the plug feed, the long forked end forms a sort of spring which presses against the inside of the barrel and holds the plug steady, particuarly when the plug is pulled up for filling.

In the 1500, the wire is an "agitator" to keep the ink flowing, and possibly a wedge to hold the over-under feed tight in the section.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#6 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 17:10

Well done Greenie; that's a super nib - and a three after all as it should be!.

The plug filler I had gave no problems with ink flow.  When I had this problem a couple of years ago with a 1500, I found that postion of the feed is truly critical. AFter a certain amount of fiddling, it worked well.

All the best

Cob

Edited by Cob, 10 December 2016 - 17:10.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#7 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 17:51

The pen was listed as having a #2 nib.  I disassembled it mostly to get a better look.  It was nice to see the #3 nib.

And the ad confirms that these were all #3 and #5, and that the intent of the plug was for filling rather than flow adjustments.

So:

what about the LP-0 marking?  Anyone have any ideas?

#8 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 18:38

Yes the plug was of course for filling, but the pen has two feeds that could be adjusted!

My only source of information is Moak of course, and he says nothing about these additional codes.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#9 peterg

peterg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 23:03

Well, I have been writing my Christmas cards with one just like it.

No blobbing. If anything a little dry. The tines on the nib spread very easily and the line breaks into two with very little pressure.

It is about 138 mm long. Mine is marked Trade (the Swan symbol) Mark and 300 underneath on the cap and

The 'Swan' Pen

Mabie Todd & Co

Made in England

on the barrel plus 362 MED on the base.

I can just make out Mabie Todd & co on the nib and it has a standard feed without the plug underneath.

I would be most interested to have an indication as to its age.

#10 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 00:01

Peter,

Does you pen have a gold overfeed?

I have also found that the position of the plug changes the flow quite a bit. 

Here is the top of the feed. There is a very wide but shallow groove to serve as a channel, and then a notch wedged out. The notch is blocked or open to varying degrees by moving the plug. 

fpn_1481414362__swan_4500___20.jpg

#11 peterg

peterg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:46

Yes it has the overfeed but I can't see a plug. The underfeed appears to be standard with Swan and notches on the underside. It disappears into the section but I am pretty sure there is no plug and the feed 'valley' is missing (8th picture)

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|