The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Droplet Free Sloshing Ink For Vac700 Demonstrator

vac700 droplet demostrator clean smear smudge sloshing ink stain twsbi

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tismijnestylo

tismijnestylo

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 14:12

Hi All

I currently use an undetermined diamine blue colour (kind of blue black), and as I move the ink around in my VAC700 demonstrator, droplets and smudges are left behind. 

IMG_3703.jpg

I know the interaction between barrel material and ink chemistry is complex, so I’ll address my question only to TWSBI owners. Does any TWSBI demonstrator-owner happen to have a blue black or similar colour ink that does not leave such droplets behind? (Does that even exist?)

Please share your pictures!

Thanks!

Bart

Sponsored Content

#2 evyxmsj

evyxmsj

Ink! All the colours!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 14:29

Ah, I would like to know this as well. At this point, I can only report that Pelikan Mandarin sloshes well.

#3 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 14:34

All of mine don't do that. 3 pens, 3 colors.

Peace and Understanding

#4 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 14:45

Not a TWSBI owner, so feel free to ignore, but the same happens to my (generously) lubed converters. Although ugly, may it mean yours is well greased?

#5 tismijnestylo

tismijnestylo

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 18:24

@Fuzzy_Bear
Which pens are you using? What material are they made of?
@sciumbasci
Interesting, my pen is brand new, so I presume that it came well greased from the factory. Perhaps I'll try some de-greasing 🤓

#6 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 19:57

TWSBI Diamond 580 USA
TWSBI 580 Red
TWSBI Eco Clear

Never flushed them, except for the USA model. That's before I found the loose nib unit.

Edited by Fuzzy_Bear, 09 December 2016 - 19:58.

Peace and Understanding

#7 aeba

aeba

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:19

@sciumbasci
Interesting, my pen is brand new, so I presume that it came well greased from the factory. Perhaps I'll try some de-greasing

Thing is, that you'll want that rubber gasket on the steel rod to be greased with silicone grease to prevent wear and tear.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

#8 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:37

Bearing in mind that TWSBIs are 'clear', then I would venture to suggest that the same thing could possible happen in any non-cc pen, but for a lot of the time, we just can't see it happening.

Because, those pens aren't 'clear'!

Personally, I wouldn't let it worry you.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#9 Witsius

Witsius

I was told there would be cake.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 15:17

I've found Pelikan inks in general tend to slosh nicely. 

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

#10 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 15:35

I've found that 4 diamine ink samples I have all stick to the sides of the vials they are in.  In my TWSBI 580 Diamond I use J Herbin Poussant le Lune with no problem - might be worth seeing if they have a blue black.  Only other J. Herbin I have in a clear/demonstrator pen is Emeraude de Chivor in a TWSBI ECO, and again there's no droplets or sticking (though obviously you do get the gold flakes settling on one side).

#11 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 19:08

I have Iroshizuku Ama-iro in a Pilot CH 92, and it makes a very nice smooth coating on the inside of the barrel. I think it's a different kind of plastic, but it might be worth a try. Similarly, I have Ajisai in an 823, and while a few drops cling to the rod, the ink is smooth on the walls. It may be that the rods are going to attract the drops no matter the ink, but I would be interested to learn otherwise.

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 23:09

Actually, this a problem / feature of pens with large ink capacities. You want to watch for surface tension.  I found the droplet thing happens a lot when the pen is brand new.  Wash it out with a mix of dish soap and water.  That may be enough to fix the problem for all the following inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#13 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 23:37

I would bet that Waterman ink would be the standard for testing anything related to nib performance or barrel drying or staining of any kind.

Caran d'Ache Vibrant Green did that in my pen when it had been in the barrel a little too long, so I think it's related to drying of the ink in the barrel, more than anything. My Vac 700 was a pen that I didn't use often at first, but there were times when I did extended writing with the plunger opened to allow the ink to flow for the long session. Then I put it away again for a week or more before using it again. After a few rounds of that, I started getting the droplet problem, so I'm betting that it started drying up from that type of usage. When you open up the plunger, you're letting in air which will dry out the ink, like it or not.

That's why I don't use this pen as a standby writer. I use it often or I empty it and store it for later use, because it's not a pen that you can let keep inked for prolonged periods of intermittent use.

If it's not an everyday writer, don't overfill it and don't let the ink sit too long in it, even if you give it a small fill. Also, use a "wet" ink like Waterman or any of the Pilot lines, and avoid dry inks like Pelikan and Lamy. This isn't a bash against either ink, I happen to like some of their colors tremendously, but they are prone to dryness, and that won't serve this pen well.

Edited by Aquaria, 16 December 2016 - 23:40.

#14 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:29

Depending on your ink (how much surfactant (detergent) is in it) and how much silicone oil/grease is coating the walls of the ink reservoir, you can have one of three scenarios --

1) ink doesn't wet the walls at all

2) ink wets the walls completely, coating them all on the inside

3) blobbing - which you have.

Don't worry about it. The pen will work perfectly no matter what is happening. The mixture of chemicals in the ink is designed to help it get through the fine ink channels in the feed and down the nib slit onto the paper, not to look pretty on the inside of your pen.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#15 beanbag

beanbag

Sailor Shigure

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:32

Yup, some inks will coat and some inks will bunch up and repel.  So far, all my Japanese inks have been coaters.  Splotchiness probably means silicone oil residue.  Anyway, I have been able to "convert" an ink from blobbing into coating by adding just the tiniest amount of surfactant.  Please add tiny amounts at a time, or you will get excessive ink flow.

IMG_20161226_022616.jpg

Blue= Sailor Souten - a natural coater

Red = Montblanc Corn Poppy Red- totally blobs up, to the point that the ink can hang upside down under gravity.  Added a touch of surfactant to make it a wall-coater.

Blue-green = J Herbin Emerald of Chivor - a partial wall coater, unmodified.

PS: yes, I have a TWSBI pen too, but I forgot to take a picture of it.  I have a purple KWZI ink in it that is a wall coater, but there is also some splotchiness from the silicone oil.

Edited by beanbag, 26 December 2016 - 10:35.

#16 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 21:29

Beanbag, those are great photos.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vac700, droplet, demostrator, clean, smear, smudge, sloshing ink, stain, twsbi

Sponsored Content

|