Anybody Have Experience With 140 Nibs?

Inkedinker

Looking at some older pens and was curious what they are like? I have an M400 Tortoise White with an EF nib (I haven't really bonded with at all), I also have an M200 with a vintage 14k nib that has a little line variation but not enough to call it flexible. It's more of a stub grind. The 140 I saw locally was touted as having a flexible nib, but I've never used one nor have I heard Pelikans be very flexible.

Any input welcome.

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Inkedinker

• mitto

• HeyNat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only one 140. The nib is M and it tends to be a semi flex. Same is the case with my 400NN. It too has a M semi flex nib.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have a small collection of 140's maybe a half dozen or so. Like most Pelikan models they come with a variety of nibs, but keep in mind they were originally intended as school pens I think, so assume that the vast majority were built for daily use .... by kids. You can find 140's with delicate or artful nibs but they are the exception. Whenever I see one offered with a special nib (a stub, or a something flexy, or even just a B) ... I always circle back for a second look.

They are in my estimation great little pens but I would not suggest that someone looking for a particularly flexible or otherwise unusual nib look for that in the 140 line. You want to pay closer attention to vintage (50's era) 400's, or 100's, 101n's.

Excellent thank you!! Looks like I'll keep looking for a vintage flex nib for my next mod.

I have two black 140, both F/M nibs but the other the older style (no lines, akin to the ones in 100/100N) and the other the more modern one (akin to ones found in final production 100N and 400). The more modern one is semiflexy, would not push that though (it does produce nice line variation though in just ordinary writing), the other one a somewhat more flexy one (not quite full but close to it, very nice).

Things vary though so the model itself is just an indication of what might be, for example my current EDC post war 100N has a soft F nib, will not push that one, hardly any line variation. Then you have the manifold nibs (meant for carbon copying). Fortunately have none of those in the eight 100N/101N that I have. The nibs do vary quite a bit with most of then being semi-flexy and some full flex.

That said, I really love either of the 140 for writing, actually have both of them in my EDC set. They are slightly different in performance when it comes to flexiness but both beat some of my 100N.

Re: School pens. Pelikan 120 was the school pen with the steel nibs, the 140 was the upscale version of that with the 14K nibs and slightly better finish (for example the clips etc.). You would have been hard pressed to find a schoolkid with one on that day and age (there was a considerable difference in price between the two).

Dr. Codfish...it was the 120 that was the school pen.

I only have two 140s but am of the impression that they are all semi-flex....(unless marked H for hard or D for Daur....or tank stabbing nib...the nail's nail. I have a D on an old 400)

I've heard no one brag their 140 maxi-semi-flex.

I've been chasing semi-flex since I put a 140's nib to my thumbnail at a flea market. :puddle: Even dry, I suddenly knew what all the fuss was about....in I'd read about the semi-flex 140.

Way back then before I came up with my flex system and the new name...maxi-semi-flex there was much talk of some 400 nibs being semi-flex and others being 'flexi'.....which was not enlightenment.

Medium Small pens were very IN, in the '50-60s. Kaweco Dia was that size...Geha's then top of the line. the 760 was that size...Geha also had the 790 as a Standard sized pen like the 400 but didn't have the little gold ring at the piston cap like the 760.

Pelikan had the 140 which has a long cap and so posts as long as the 400. Or 120. The nib on the 140 is smaller than the 400/120.

I think of the 140 as the workers pen....not a school pen.

(tidbit....the 400n...had a longer cap than the 400 so like the 140 would have posted longer. The 400n was only made for a year...then came in the longer bodied but same length cap as the medium-large 400NN. IMO they were with in a hair of inventing the Large pen. A long 400n's cap and the longer body of the 400nn==400nnn. :P ...or look down my nose at the short medium-long 146. :rolleyes: )

A 140's nib will fit on the 120/400/600 but look dorky. It is too small.

A 120 is a school pen and has more of the American Bump Under tipping...like a Geha School pen.

The 140 & the 400's....were all stubbs with some flex. There were special order nibs...the KM or KF nibs....Kugal or Ball on the top of the nib for them that wanted to hold the pen like a pencil....but unlike the modern 400/600 the bottom of Kugal nibs was flat and still stubbish...best of both worlds perhaps.

I would count on a 140 to have a semi-flex nib....do read my signature in it is not a "FLEX" :gaah: :wallbash: pen....almost flex.....gives flair with out asking for any work from you. That old fashioned fountain pen script, free....

Over the course of buying a slew of semi-flex pens.... I found there was a second flex set. The Maxi-semi-flex. I have some 26 semi-flex and 16 maxi-semi-flex....and out side the Osmia pen, none are marked for that. Osmia diamond nib is semi-flex, Osmia Supra nib...is maxi-semi-flex.

Regular flex...the 120...mash it hard...the tines will spread 3 X a light down stroke...same for all 'true regular flex nibs...most out side the 200 as far as I know, are semi-vintage....'pre'98 or vintage pre'65.

140/400 takes only 1/2 the pressure of the regular flex to spread the tines 3 X.

Maxi-semi-flex..needs half that pressure or 1/4th the pressure needed to mash a regular flex to the max of 3X.

Regular flex, semi&maxi have a max tine spread of 3 X before you go to springing them....

My two 140's are semi-flex along with three of my '50's 400's....one is a D nib.

I have 400nn/500 are maxi-semi-flex. Got an Ibis maxi-too.

You could just as easy have a maxi '50's 400 as a semi-flex...same goes for the rest...a semi-flex OF instead of maxi. There is no rhyme or reason....not as cleverly done as Osmia.

My 100n is ..the Easy Full Flex...the first stage of superflex.

I'd not worry about that with the 140/400's.

I have a 'fabled' war nib...mine was only regular flex...not even semi-flex...others may be more lucky. I tried a Steno nib I trans mailed...it was regular flex. :crybaby: Not the super flex others got lucky with.

Again nothing to worry about on the 140.

The 140 fits a shirt pocket best. Posts as long as the 120/400, has good balance.

Of course it's a pen to have. My 140 was an OB...and I think that a good width to start with semi-flex oblique. The sweet spot is fat....one can write with it with out canting the nib...it's a different patterns but a tad toothy. If properly canted it writes sweetly. In it's an pre'98, it is 1/2 a width narrower than the fat and blobby modern 400/600....so an OB is a writing nib not a signature nib like modern ones are.

Like a 200 is not quite a 400, a 140 is not quite a 400 either. I have two....a black OF and a green stripped OB. I like them. If an odd colored one came by and was affordable I'd buy another.

I do after all have 4 Geha 790's.... :D

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The reason I ask is because I wanted to put a Pelikan vintage nib on a modern pen similar to what I've done with my M200. The original Medium nib was near sprung so I teplaced it with a warranted 14k nib and it is the closest to heaven I've ever written with.

I have a M400 Tortoise White with an Extra Fine nib, M205 White with Medium nib, M100 Blue (in the mail) with extra fine nib and a pre-97 M200 green with a fine nib.

I also have a spare nib (Medium I believe but was purchased for the feed and collar assembly for a new nib) and an Italic Pelikan nib I am going to shape a bit better and then place on one of the Pelikans I have.

I have been looking at the 1930's to 1940's Waterman nibs.

I love the Pelikan feel, fill and look but would like to modify/replace the nibs with something I can smile when I write with (as I've done with my M200 blue marble).

The 140's nib will fit...as long as you don't care it looks dorky...because of it's small size...it writes very well indeed.

Near Sprung....= was sprung....in near don't cause any problems.

Get your self a semi-flex '50-65 400-400nn's nib. Suggest a B or OB (Who knows with luck you could get a maxi....unless the seller knows what he is doing...it will be nothing but pure luck. I've lucked out 16 times in getting a maxi....have 28 semi-flex.) That is all pen brands. ****

It is monotone...but so what...it's writes so very well.

I have a semi-flex B nib from my '54 tortoise 400 on my 605. :puddle: :thumbup:

**** I have a Easy Full Flex superflex on my 100n...which will not fit the '50's and later. I have not checked my maxi Ibis but doubt if it will fit later pens.

Semi-flex two 140's, three 400's. Maxi a 400nn and a 500. So it is luck of the draw to if it's semi-maxi.

And a '50-65 nib will fit with no fiddling around.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The 140s that I've used had semi flex nibs. Wonderfully smooth, wet, and springy. The kind of character and joy they bring to writing can't help but put a smile on my face. Great nibs.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Would a 140 fit a Gunther Wagner 400??

Yes. And vice versa (there might be some clearance issue with the cap, but not all).

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

The 140's nib is much smaller than a 400 or 120's nib...so there is no problem even I would imagine a '50s 400 if that is what you mean by a Gunther Wagner 400....with out worry of the cap.

Yeah. I am patiently (read that as climbing the walls) waiting for that gorgeous early 50's Gunther Wagner 400 Tortoise Brown beauty to be delivered. I'll go over it with a fine toothed comb to make sure it is in 100% working order and then I'll dip the nib it has and then try the 140 on it too. Which ever one feels the best will stay. The other will be meticulously cleaned and stored for future use (project). :D

This is a fantastic nib. The feel of it is amazing. Now I truely understand how incredibly awesome a BB nib is as well as a vintage flexible nib feels. I put it on my M400 Tortoise White for a bit then swapped it to my M200. I can't wait for my vintage Tortoise Brown 400 to come in. I'm hoping that nib is just as good. Then I can buy a barrel and cap for this nib

• 5 months later...

No.....never have.....I think someone ground your nib. I replied to your other thread.

EF is as narrow as I can recall...there should be an EF on the nib.......What is on the nib?

There is no law someone must take an EF to make a XXF nib one can do that from any width.

I'm sure I'd remembered someone having a semi-flex spiderweb writer.

It's going to be a pen you have to hold very, very exact with no play to stay on the sweet spot.

Write light.........Semi-flex normally does a 3 X tine spread, max....you can expect yours to do 4 X max...in or if someone has ground the pen down....more. But don't go maxing your tines.

If it is....who told you it was XXF?

It is semi-flex............not a superflex nib.

Sargetalon will come by soon and let you know for sure.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

The closest to XXF that I've come across is an ST nib I have (1954 to 1964 style). It's very fine when not flexed (finer than all my EF nibs). When I have a moment I could post a writing sample I required.

Edited by Oobly

I have since addaded another 140 to my collection, after my earlier post in Dec, 2016, and the nib on this one too is a semi flex. So now I tend to agree with Bo Bo that the nibs on 140 are all semi flex.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have a 140 with an NOS broad. There is almost no nib, in the 60-80 I have owned, that compares. Stubbish, sooo soft, expressive, just perfection. No pen's writing makes me happier. I hope you find a good one!