Sheaffer Flat Top Loose Lever?

benbot517

I have a jade flat top in lovely condition, with the exception of the lever, which rattles around regardless of what size sac is installed in the pen. Anyone know why? I can post pictures, but there's really not a whole lot to see. This one is a smaller flat top.

I guess this is a picture which would help out:

post-117071-0-03386400-1481179826_thumb.jpg

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• benbot517

• Ron Z

• 2feetplanted

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What sort of shape is the pressure bar in, any idea? Can you open up the pen and see if it's rusted out?

It may be that the pressure bar inside the barrel needs to be adjusted. The bar should rest tightly against the lever and keep it in a fully closed position.

It may be that the pressure bar inside the barrel needs to be adjusted. The bar should rest tightly against the lever and keep it in a fully closed position.

There's your answer. If an after market pressure bar was installed the channel of the pressure bar may be too deep, and could need to be ground down, or the lever adjusted if original.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Your pen is in good shape, according to you, and messing it up would hurt. Getting to the pressure bar is probably beyond your present skill level since you had to ask the question. Your best option would be to sent it to RonZ at Main Street Pens who replied to you above. Then get some practice on "dead" pens before working on that Jade beauty. Ron is reasonable in price, and I am related to him in no way except that I am too poor to order frequently from him....Am not being a smart A__, just trying to keep you from crying needlessly. Take Care.

Your pen is in good shape, according to you, and messing it up would hurt. Getting to the pressure bar is probably beyond your present skill level since you had to ask the question. Your best option would be to sent it to RonZ at Main Street Pens who replied to you above. Then get some practice on "dead" pens before working on that Jade beauty. Ron is reasonable in price, and I am related to him in no way except that I am too poor to order frequently from him....Am not being a smart A__, just trying to keep you from crying needlessly. Take Care.

^^^ Heed these words! The very first time I got one of these pens, I very mistakenly assumed that a pressure bar was a pressure bar. NOT SO. The pressure bar on these is a whole different animal. I actually managed to get it out, and was surprised that I didn't destroy the barrel in the process. Of course, I was not able to get it back in, and broke it in the process. Then, it was that non-original bar that causes what you might be seeing.

If you want to try the repair on your Sheaffer flattop, you have to remove the pressure bar without breaking it, so its condition is paramount. Look at it this way, if you break the pressure bar in the repair attempt, you send the pen to Ron or another of the repair people and get it fixed and you're only out the cost of the tools and a new pressure bar.

The only tools you need are a bore light (LED is best) and the thinnest needle nose pliers you can find. Used pressure bars can be had here (http://pentooling.com/partssheaffer.html) but he isn't showing the one that's probably in your pen, which I think has a round base like a cylinder. He may have one though. If not, you may have no other alternative but to send out your pen. The aftermarket ones will work, but not great in my experience. The result is the slightly floppy lever you show in your photo. The aftermarket bars I've seen don't have the same design as the originals and I have never had a great result.

Inspect the interior of the barrel with the bore light and give it a try if the pressure bar looks good--not corroded. Remember at this point if you break it, you will just send it off. The pressure bar just pulls out of the barrel. Keep the lever pressed against to the barrel on the outside so it doesn't flip open and interfere inside the barrel with the pressure bar sliding out. It takes a lot of pull so be prepared to really go for it. Good pliers here are a must.

Correctly align the replacement pressure bar so that it will operate the lever. Then press the replacement into the barrel and you're done. It goes in much easier than it comes out.

No doubt I have oversimplified and Ron or another person with more experience will elaborate. The point is, you can probably do this if you're motivated and like this kind of thing.

Edited by Robert111