NOS Sheaffer Skrip Burgundy

wimg

Hi all,

Since I was reviewing burgundy ink, I thought I'd do a classic as well. NOS Sheaffer Skrip Burgundy. Although it is no longer made, it is still availble here and there, so I thought it to be worthwhile, even though it cost me about half a bottle to do :doh:. Fortunately I have a spare bottle of the stuff :D.

Anyway, first of all, here is the link to all five pages of the review (about 700 K) for those of us with a broadband connection:

NOS Sheaffer Skrip Burgundy, Full written review (5 pages)

And here are clickable thumbnails, for those of us with a slightly slower connection. Each thumbnail, when clicked, brings up a page from the review (about 140 K each):

ssbns1-5.jpgssbns2-5.jpgssbns3-5.jpg

ssbns4-5.jpgssbns5-5.jpg

Some final remarks about this ink: I found that rinsing and flushing seemed easy, but remains of the ink actually lingered for several days and several sessions of flushing, rinsing and drying, although the individual sessions were fairly short. So the concentration of dyes is pretty good in this ink :lol:.

I realised after filling the pens used, why it is called burgundy. I was left with ink stains on my hands and fingers that looked remarkably like wine stains, even after rinsing. :lol:

Anyway, please enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

edit: made thumbnails split up, to avoid too much scrolling to the right

Edited by wimg
Fixed links

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• mmg122

• ENewton

• shea2812

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet another nice review Wim. You certainly present a great opportunity to judge each ink. Many thanks :) .

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi southpaw,

Yet another nice review Wim.  You certainly present a great opportunity to judge each ink.  Many thanks  :) .
Thanks for the kind words. :blush:

Of course, I benefit from it as well. It is much easier to judge an ink and what it is capable of, if you try a whole bunch of nibs and pens :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I was just going to say that I never understood why they named it burgundy, but the wine reference makes sense. I have one bottle and I'm hoarding it, thank you. :D

Never lie to your dog.

Sheaffer's burgundy has got to be my favorite ink - I have one precious skrip cartridge that I'm saving (for what, I have no idea!), but I may have to go hunting a bottle or three.

Wow....This review came just at the right time for me...I just received a bottle of this ink and haven't even opened it yet! Now I know which nibs I want to try with it first. :) Thanks so much, Wim.

Best regards,

Ann

Wow....This review came just at the right time for me...I just received a bottle of this ink and haven't even opened it yet!  Now I know which nibs I want to try with it first.  :)  Thanks so much, Wim.

Best regards,

Ann

Hi Ann,

Good to hear it was the right time :D. It is quite a nice ink, and one of very few inks that work well with my Pel M800 OM nib, I must say. With normal italic nibs I like it too... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 3 months later...

Sheaffer Burgundy has been my favorite ink for years. I'm glad to see that others appreciate it, too. I never questioned Sheaffer's name for the ink. The very first time I saw it, I thought of college days and Gallo Hearty Burgundy.

The Sheaffer variety produces no hangover but it stains clothing just as badly as the Gallo variety.

Mary Plante

Wim,

Thank you so much for this review. I have never tried this ink out before, but I know that in the "What is your all-time favorite ink?" thread, a few people listed it as a favourite.... Good to finally know what it looks like! Thank you for using up so much of this valuable ink to write this thorough and informative review---much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

~Maja

Edited by Maja

• 5 years later...

Has anyone found a match for the old Sheaffer Skrip Burgundy? My small supply has dwindled to almost nothing and I would miss it very much.

• 1 month later...

I'm also running out... HELP!!!

Has anyone found a match for the old Sheaffer Skrip Burgundy? My small supply has dwindled to almost nothing and I would miss it very much.

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

• 6 years later...

Look at what I have just found!! I know this is an old topic but still want to share. Found a couple of bottle of old Skrip Sheaffer ink. Took a gamble and bought a couple of bottles. Burgundy and Brown. There is a bottle of Lavender too, probably will go and get that next time I am in town. The Burgundy Skrip has not deteriorate and still useable. Just filled my Sonnet (M nib) with it and it writes well. It is the last bottle though :mellow:

post-126314-0-44039700-1489998046.jpg

Great find, Shea! Sheaffer Skrip is great ink. Well behaved in most pens and on most papers. I've never had a problem using old bottles of this ink either. Enjoy!

A 1:1 mixture of Sheaffer Skrip Red and Waterman Tender Purple is an acceptable match ie "Binder Burgundy".

Mary

Edited by mmg122

Like it so much I went and get another bottle of Burgundy on top of Lavender. Seller said they may have an old Blue Black somewhere. Will go calling on them again in a few days to check that out.

I recently used the Lavender and liked it very much.

My brown had deteriorated to green--a shade of green that many people might enjoy, but I wasn't sure it was really okay to use.

Can anyone comment on whether discoloration of a vintage ink implies that one shouldn't use the ink?

I recently used the Lavender and liked it very much.

My brown had deteriorated to green--a shade of green that many people might enjoy, but I wasn't sure it was really okay to use.

Can anyone comment on whether discoloration of a vintage ink implies that one shouldn't use the ink?

Change of color is usually due to evaporation and shouldn't cause a problem. If you don't see any slime, mold or floating precipitates, you should be good to go.

Mary

Change of color is usually due to evaporation and shouldn't cause a problem. If you don't see any slime, mold or floating precipitates, you should be good to go.

Mary

How interesting! I would have expected the evaporation of a brown to make the ink a darker brown. This was a not very dark green.

How interesting! I would have expected the evaporation of a brown to make the ink a darker brown. This was a not very dark green.

If you do chromatography on the ink, I suspect it is made up of many different colors with perhaps many different rates of evaporation. Although, I agree, evaporation tends to make some inks appear darker, I find it impossible to predict what the color change will ultimately be.

Mary