The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Purple Black

black purple purple lamy safari dark lilac professional first ink

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 16:28

IMG_20161211_142927.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sponsored Content

#62 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 16:31

Does anyone know the non-shimmer color of Diamine Purple Pizazz?

If you don't need Diamine, then the Lamy is a dead ringer. Also close are the MB purples.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#63 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 16:34

Hi Amber,

WOW! Your pictures and ink art are amazing! I don't want to be a PITA, but if you could compare Diamine Bilberry and Iris, it'd be a big help to me. :)

- Anthony

I will try and ink both of those up before the end of the year. I haven't inked up either this year so you are in luck.  This attempt to use an ink a day has been overwhelming.

#64 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 16:51

I will try and ink both of those up before the end of the year. I haven't inked up either this year so you are in luck.  This attempt to use an ink a day has been overwhelming.

Hi Amber,

Much appreciated, but don't let me give you any gray hair; I thought you already had swatches or sketches done and laying around. I don't want to give you more work to do. :)

That said, if it does show before the year is out, I'd be much obliged. :D

- Anthony

PS: An ink a day does sound daunting.
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#65 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 18:01

Hi Amber,

Much appreciated, but don't let me give you any gray hair; I thought you already had swatches or sketches done and laying around. I don't want to give you more work to do. :)

That said, if it does show before the year is out, I'd be much obliged. :D

- Anthony

PS: An ink a day does sound daunting.

It's even scarier than that.  For each ink, I write five extra pages and send them to other people.  Are you interested in receiving some?

#66 justaninker

justaninker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 19:10

I'm surprised no one mentioned Noodler's Kung Te Cheng

#67 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 23:10

It's even scarier than that.  For each ink, I write five extra pages and send them to other people.  Are you interested in receiving some?

Yes, I would. Thank you very much. If you don't mind, I'll respond; it'll give me a chance to practice my penmanship and experiment with more pens and inks. :D

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#68 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,551 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 21:01

Itsallstraw, there are more than 1,000 inks. Many, many professionally made hues and colors.

Some folks do mix inks....but it might well be better at the start to buy inks to find out what they are and do.

I have only tried once :rolleyes: ....Pelikan 4001, Blue and Black looking for a blue-black, in I was too cheap to go out and buy a bottle of the famous Pelikan BB....I ended up with a sort of a blue gray. :huh: :unsure:

I could add more black....but it would not end up like any of the 8 BB inks I've bought since...and they all differ.

A good Blue Black changes color....ESSR, depending on paper before your eyes, Richard Binder says a good one will change with in 24 hours. ................ Mine is still blue-gray....years later. :P

They have a sub section for mixing inks...after you get a few..and have a better idea of what is there ... go to mixing. There are folks over there than would make a mixologist envious at the recipes they developed while mixing.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#69 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 16:49

fpn_1481139689__img_2477.jpg

Nice pen!

#70 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 19:18

I'm surprised no one mentioned Noodler's Kung Te Cheng

I adore KTC, but it isn't a purple black. It is however fade proof, water proof and dirt proof. I've never seen a more resilient ink.

#71 justaninker

justaninker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 20:45

I adore KTC, but it isn't a purple black. It is however fade proof, water proof and dirt proof. I've never seen a more resilient ink.

Hmm, depending on how you define purple I guess. The blue-violet color of KTC is considered "Han purple", as opposed to royal purple or eggplant purple. I would call it purple black, but to each their own.

#72 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 21:42

Hmm, depending on how you define purple I guess. The blue-violet color of KTC is considered "Han purple", as opposed to royal purple or eggplant purple. I would call it purple black, but to each their own.

I'm with you on calling it a purple, just not the black part. :) Nevertheless, I love the ink.

#73 Sholom

Sholom

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 22:12

Surprised no one has mentioned Noodler's Purple Wampum. In a wet pen, it definitely emphasizes the black while still remaining distinctly purple. Well behaved for me, too.

#74 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:58

+1 to Sandy1's recommendation of Diamine Damson, which is really dark blue-purple, like a black plum.  So too is Noodler's Purple Martin.

You might do better to start with samples instead of full bottles.  It hurts less to discover you've spent $1.25-$2 for 2-3ml of ink you don't like, than that you've spent $10-25 for 30-90ml of ink you don't like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black purple, purple, lamy safari, dark lilac, professional, first ink

Sponsored Content

|