Is This Normal On A New M1000?

SnowyZoe

Thanks!

If I do manage to get a replacement, I'm sure not going to consciously try to get thicker lines anymore, even if the nib could handle it.

When I tried the same thing with my Sailor 1911L with its 21K nib, it didn't have this issue.

21K gold is even softer than 18K and even more likely to deform and not spring back.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowyZoe

• Erik Dalton

• Bo Bo Olson

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21K gold is even softer than 18K and even more likely to deform and not spring back.

Which makes it all the more likely that the OP hasn't over-flexed the nib, if the same amount of pressure *didn't* deform the 21K nib. The problem they're reporting could simply be a result of poor QC at Pelikan's end - which, let's be honest, can happen with pretty well *any* manufacturer. Good to hear that Pelikan are willing to sort it out, either way!

Which makes it all the more likely that the OP hasn't over-flexed the nib, if the same amount of pressure *didn't* deform the 21K nib. The problem they're reporting could simply be a result of poor QC at Pelikan's end - which, let's be honest, can happen with pretty well *any* manufacturer. Good to hear that Pelikan are willing to sort it out, either way!

I don't think the issue with that pen is related to flexing the pen. That just looks like a poorly set nib.

I don't think the issue with that pen is related to flexing the pen. That just looks like a poorly set nib.

Agreed - hence my comment above. It bothers me a bit when we (members of the FPN forum) jump to conclusions that someone has obviously done the wrong thing, when we're not in possession of all the facts! Again, good to hear that someone from Pelikan is by happy to help sort the nib out - customer service can get tricky when you haven't purchased from a local (same country) retailer - and unless I'm mistaken, that may be the case here.

Looking at a proper M1000 nib and a schematic diagram (both below) makes me realize how much of a gap there really is...

http://newpentrace.net/RB_images/pel_flow_problem.gif

fpn_1316200343__pelikan_m1000_bb_stub_ni

The good news is Pelikan contacted me saying that they've forwarded the issue to customer service and will reply later.

However, a store part of the Pelikan Group in my country also replied to an e-mail I sent saying that they could replace the nib if I send it over to them.

Right now I'm just going to wait for a response from Pelikan before I consider sending the pen.

Get yourself a new nib and move on. All this off topic chatter and speculation, is not helpful. Don't you think Pelikan reads these threads? If someone offered to swap nibs, do it and start enjoying your pen.

The good news is Pelikan contacted me saying that they've forwarded the issue to customer service and will reply later.

However, a store part of the Pelikan Group in my country also replied to an e-mail I sent saying that they could replace the nib if I send it over to them.

Right now I'm just going to wait for a response from Pelikan before I consider sending the pen.

Get yourself a new nib and move on. If you want thicker lines, ask for a broad nib as part of the swap. All this off topic chatter and speculation, is not helpful. Don't you think Pelikan reads these threads? If someone offered to swap nibs, do it, get a new nib for your pen and start enjoying your pen.

I disagree. While the M100 nibs are not flex nibs, they can handle what the OP described. They can be usedan to generate line variation wit out damage.

I concur....But if someone is not familiar with softness, spring, and or flex.

Not usin' the finesse that is required when trying to push as the op did

a M1000 Pelikan Fabric nib..is a recipe for disaster.

Fred

I concur....But if someone is not familiar with softness, spring, and or flex.

Not usin' the finesse that is required when trying to push as the op did

a M1000 Pelikan Fabric nib..is a recipe for disaster.

Fred

Indeed Fred. Sorry for the terrible typing on my phone. Bad predictive text.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I have 3 of the 1000s. A green 1000, a 1005 and a 1050. One had a problem with hard starts. Turns out that the nib had "babys bottom"

• 2 weeks later...

post-133286-0-79585300-1482318950_thumb.jpg

Nib has been replaced and now writes flawlessly!

Any other people in Aus having this issue should contact Pallaton International in NSW. They helped replace the nib. No affiliation.

Glad you were able to get this resolved. Contacting the manufacturer is not only often the easiest fix for a nib problem, but it lets the manufacturer know they have a problem so they can correct it in the future.

ron

Yep, that's how it should look.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Great.

Remember let the pen rest where it wishes. Hold it like a featherless baby bird and everything will be ok.

If you read my signature, I explain some of what semi-flex is. It adds natural old fashioned fountain pen flair...with out doing anything extra.

There are calligraphy books one can buy or download, that can show you how to 'draw' a nice descender for occasional use...to do a bit of fancy.

With fancy often just a bit is enough.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

attachicon.gif20161221_182635.jpg

Nib has been replaced and now writes flawlessly!

Any other people in Aus having this issue should contact Pallaton International in NSW. They helped replace the nib. No affiliation.

If it's fixed, prove it!

Go on. Give us a writing sample!

If it's fixed, prove it!

Go on. Give us a writing sample!

Oh boy. You asked for it.

post-133286-0-16600400-1482415034_thumb.jpg

I was overcome by curiosity and decided to put as much pressure as I did when I first got the pen for the flourishes you see in the bottom center. This time no nib springing occurred so I have to assume that the pen came like that.

Next pen, a '50s 14K 400 or 400nn in Oblique. :) B) :P

When starting Oblique I always recommend OB....which is 1/2 a width narrower than modern. A writing nib....B-M or M-B....not a signature nib. It is easier to place the nib canted to the paper in the sweet spot is wider.

I have some 13-14 semi or maxi-semi-flex pens from that era.

The pens have great balance posted...and will not be too short...posted. Light and nimble. :D

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.