Any Tricks To Get An Fpr Himalaya To Work?

Inkedinker

I just got one from FPR and the thing won't work. I tried the "converter" in there and no dice. Took it apart, flushed everything and tried again. Nope. Tried again as "eyedropper" and I could only get ink out if it shook it like crazy. Took it apart AGAIN, reset the nib and feed and put it back together again and this time watered down the ink. Only place ink came out was the breather slit on the under part of the feed.

Used Watermans Serenity Blue which is pretty forgiving with just about everything and still no luck.

Any suggestions or did I just get a good looking pen cup ornament?!

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inkedinker

• pepsiplease69

• penwash

• Mr.Rene

For me the Himalaya works perfectly.

Pull out the nib + feed.

Take a drop of dish soap on your finger and rub it all over the feed and the nib.

(if you can use an old tooth brush to get the bristles into the ink channel on the feed, that's a bonus)

Wash out all the soap with water, making sure none of the soap remains on neither the nib nor the feed.

Visually inspect that the ink slit on the nib has no obstructions by shining light through the nib slit. Ideally a beam of light should shine through the slit all the way from breather to the tip. If the tines are touching near the tip, you may want to gently open them up but it may be too premature to attempt that for now.

Put it all back together and try again.

I'm using my himalayas with (super thirsty) #5 bock 1.5 nibs and I haven't been let down by lack of flow even once thusfar.

Much appreciated, I'll try that next pepsiplease69.

A little off the subject, is your name by chance any relation to a certain Suicidal Tendencies song??

There's no way to fix it?!

Kevin of FPR lives in Texas, USA.

Send the pen back to him and ask him to fix it and send it back to you, or ask for a new Himalaya pen that writes.

That's how I would fix it.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Penwash, I don't take no for an answer. I'm a "if it's broke, fix it" kinda guy. I'd rather just fix it and learn something that I can use down the road rather than send it back.

Much appreciated, I'll try that next pepsiplease69.

A little off the subject, is your name by chance any relation to a certain Suicidal Tendencies song??

Well, now that you've asked, I'm not a fervent Pepsi fan, but I do prefer it over Coke anyday.

My inspiration of the name came from a cute pepsi ad that used to run in the 90's

And 69 simply refers to the pepsi logo (red 6 blue 9 or vice versa, yin&yang you get the gist)
I didn't know there was a suicidal tendencies song in a parallel universe somewhere else, you've sparked my curiosity. I'll have to look that up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ

"Mom just get me a Pepsi, please

All I want is a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me

All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me.

Just a Pepsi."

Thanks for the link :)

Let us know how your Himalaya does after a scrub-down with soap and toothbrush.

If you find issues with the nib slit, you might try flossing it next. But on the whole the first step should go a long way in making it write properly.

I appreciate it!! I will play with it more tonight after I get home from work.

Well the correct answer to this is no.

I ordered a few stubs and a few other flex nibs and feeds. None of them worked. If I come across an old pen with a feed and nib that'll fit, I'll run it.

But my experience with FPR products... never will buy anything from them again.

Well the correct answer to this is no.

I ordered a few stubs and a few other flex nibs and feeds. None of them worked. If I come across an old pen with a feed and nib that'll fit, I'll run it.

But my experience with FPR products... never will buy anything from them again.

There's got to be something strange going on with your pen.

If you take all of the steps to ensure that the ink has an unhindered path I can't see why it would still refuse to write.

When you inspected the nib slit through a light, did you see an unbroken beam of light coming through from breather hole to the tip? Did you find any blocks there? Maybe you could still try to floss it to give the ink a clear path to come through. You can use a brass shim for flossing it.

You can also widen the gap by doing the following

With the the thumb and forefinger of both hands hold the nib by the wings its underside facing you, tip pointing towards the ceiling.

Trying to bend at the base of the breather hole, laterally, trying to go against the curvature of the nib. Do this very gently.

This will splay the tines apart from each other. But it will spring back to its original state.

If you slightly apply more force you will increase the gap and it will stay there.

I wish there was a way I could check it out to see what's the issue but unless you're in SF bay area it won't be possible.

Yeah I saw the beam of light through the breather gap. The weird thing was I increased the gap between the tines on both the flex and the stub and the ink wouldn't come down the nib gap but it would pool up under the nib on the feed. Looked as if it was dipped on the bottom but the top was dry as a bone.

From the Fountain Pen Revolution website:

Guarantee on defects:

We guarantee each pen we sell to be new/unused and in proper writing condition. We inspect and clean each nib and feed to ensure proper flow. If you receive a pen that is not working properly we will gladly refund your money or send you a new pen.

I've bought pens, nibs and feeds multiple times from FPR and I've never had a problem. But if I did have a problem, I would just do what they say in the last sentence of their guarantee.

Penwash, I don't take no for an answer. I'm a "if it's broke, fix it" kinda guy. I'd rather just fix it and learn something that I can use down the road rather than send it back.

Given what you said about yourself, I totally understand.

Non functioning pens are learning opportunities.

I built an online tool that I can use on my phone to journal what I did in a particular pen repair "project".

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens