The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Tipping Material?

nib tipping parker 51

15 replies to this topic

#1 lyonlover

lyonlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:13

I'm still learning about fountain pens (even two years into the hobby), and I wondered about this picture. The tipping seems to be a bit meager on this Parker 51. From advertising pictures and from most pictures I find online, Parker 51s generally come with nice round ball-shaped tipping. What do you guys think? Does this nib look normal?

Attached Images

• s-l500 (1).jpg
  • s-l500.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:11

they do come in different nib widths... are u comparing F to B?

#3 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:29

It looks quite normal to me. Maybe it's a F nib? And Parker 51's are old pens, so presumably it was used before?

If it writes well, I wouldn't worry about it, but you can usually find nibs available on eBay if you wanted to fit a different one.  :)

#4 lyonlover

lyonlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:44

Thanks for the responses!

Chrissy, I'm pretty sure it's a fine nib, but in the second picture, I swear I can't see any tipping at all!

#5 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:40

It looks like a fine nib, and it does appear to be tipped.

Also I seem to remember reading somewhere on FPN that there was a difference between the size of the tipping blobs between US made P 51s and UK made ones.

I can't remember which was bigger.

Anyway, if it writes as smoothly as one would expect of a Parker 51, then "don' worry, be happy..."

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,442 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:26

US would have had bigger blobs I guess. (My English Parker Jr. Duofpld is semi-flex....which I don't think US models are in in the States Parker was mostly a nail maker.) I'm not going to dig out my single P-51, but to my eyes that tip has plenty of tipping.

You should see German '50-65 tipping. The first time I saw them I thought some shade tree mechanic had tried to stub them with indifferent results.

I was wrong.

'Iridium' is and was always more expensive than gold. The Germans were very 'sparsam' with it. Those German nibs with some flex are all stubs from the '50's....some no names from the '60's have that American Bump Under tipping. So are not stubs.

Some of the wider Osmia nibs are so cheap with the tipping there is a tiny pad in the middle of the nib and the edges seem bare. :huh:  There is enough tipping to let the nib write for a decade....or two.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:00

When I bought my first Lamy 1.1mm steel nib I was shocked to see there was no tipping on it at all, but pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it writes.  :)

I would put my hand up to say that I'm not a fan of nibs with no tipping, but that Parker 51 nib looks OK to me.

#8 lyonlover

lyonlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:11

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me  :)

I guess the nib is fine. Maybe I got my mediums and fines mixed up. 

#9 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:56

Looks fine to me.

The finer the nib, the harder to make a nice round ball tipping.

Some older nibs the tipping looks like tinning of solder, looks like a thin coat on the tip of the nib.  These are the ones that I don't fuss with, as buffing/smoothening could go through the thin tipping.

Wait til you see some of the Parker 45 tipping.

As I recall, the US Parker nibs are finer than the UK Parker nibs, of the same marked size (ie F).

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#10 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 20:38

Nothing wrong with that nib. How does it write?

#11 lyonlover

lyonlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 23:49

Nothing wrong with that nib. How does it write?

It's just a picture from an online auction, so I don't know how it writes. It was a cordovan brown Vacumatic with a gold blue diamond clip on a Lustraloy cap. I was going to bid on it, but I wasn't sure if $60 was a good price or not.

#12 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2016 - 00:37

Mediums tend to look blobby but a fine or xfine should look like the picture you've shown.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#13 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:44

I just got a pen just like your description for $50, and invested $20 for restoration. It's worth it.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#14 aawhite

aawhite

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:15

I cannot judge the actual tip from your pictures but it appears to be at least a fine nib.

If you are concerned of the "meager" tipping material, I can say that there is usually more tipping material (on a gold nib) than what can be easily seen "externally" even under magnification. By "externally", I mean just the nib as it is without physically separating the tines.

Parts of the tipping material can get hidden from view under the nib material during the joining process (usually resistance welding).

You should be OK.

I only have two pens -  an Aurora Optima and others.

#15 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 14:14

That might also be an "A" nib - or Accountants nib.

#16 Witsius

Witsius

I was told there would be cake.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 15:24

Looks like it's just a finer nib width.  My Pelikan M200 is a bit like that.  My Lamy 2000 with a medium nib is also quite modest in regards to the amount of tipping.  Astehtically, I like it that way.  It looks much more refined.  Come to think of it, most of the vintage Sheaffer nib I've seen, including the one on my Snorkel are also very modestly tipped.  There is enough tipping to produce the desired nib width without a superfluous blob of iridium.  

As long as the pen writes well, you have nothing to worry about.  

Edited by Witsius, 10 December 2016 - 15:29.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, tipping, parker, 51

Sponsored Content

|