The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Why Is This Waterman Repair Lot So Expensive?

ebay

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gr8stufff

gr8stufff

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 15:49

I found this lot on Ebay and it had a few things I could use, so made a bid.

Within two hours it was up to $180???  What am I not seeing here?? 

or am I just cheap? HA!

Thanks...

http://www.ebay.com/...hsAAOSwj85YQD64

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 15:52

It's now even higher. Obviously everyone wants it. (Apart from me that is.)  :D

Oh and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:

#3 _InkyFingers

_InkyFingers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 16:00

7 nibs with parts to spare. Lots of 2 and 5 nib. It's priced correctly. For the spare nib. Parts...!?

#4 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 17:17

With eBay there are always those who want to be leading the bids. Little do they know all that does is increase the price. Never bid early, always bid a few seconds before closure.

#5 Xof72000

Xof72000

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:01

Are you advertising your own Ebay auction, gr8stufff ? ...

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:04

With eBay there are always those who want to be leading the bids. Little do they know all that does is increase the price. Never bid early, always bid a few seconds before closure.

Sometimes that works.  Sometimes just having a set maximum bid (which is hidden till some other bidder triggers it) works.  

I remember some listing that Teri of Peyton Street Pens posted about a couple of years ago.  Two bidders (different parts of the globe from the US -- or each other, for that matter) got into a bidding war, and the pen in question went for way more than even SHE (as seller) thought it was deserving....  :huh: 

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:36

Sometimes that works.  Sometimes just having a set maximum bid (which is hidden till some other bidder triggers it) works.  

I remember some listing that Teri of Peyton Street Pens posted about a couple of years ago.  Two bidders (different parts of the globe from the US -- or each other, for that matter) got into a bidding war, and the pen in question went for way more than even SHE (as seller) thought it was deserving....  :huh: 

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

I use snipe software which can be set to check bidding at a set time before auction end. If the user feels they need to up the set bid then they have time to amend it. I tend to use it in a way where my top bid is placed with 5 seconds remaining and then not look at it again. Otherwise I may have the urge to increase or overpay for what I considered the going rate for that item.

#8 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 13:12

It's much more FUN to bid personally :) and MUCH more satisfying to win with the highest bid placed as close as you'd dare to the closing.

Why let a snipe app take the fun away, so easy these days with 24/7 connectivity.

It was much riskier in the early days with dialup modem... you'd need to account for the ping lag, getting within 10s was pretty good.

These days with superfast networking 3-5s is mundane, 1s ain't rare :D

#9 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 13:21

Just occasionally I will set a snipe really early, and then forget about it, particularly with longer auctions (9 days for instance). I've had some nice 'presents' that way!

But if I can be sitting at my computer waiting for the end, I still do. Gets my circulation up nicely!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#10 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 22:23

Apart from the other rational reasons for setting a prior snipe and leaving it alone, I have another consideration. For some quite unfathomable reason UK and US sellers take malicious glee in wilfully setting their auctions to end around 0200-0600 here in the world's only sensible time zone.
Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#11 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 00:55

The winning bid was $327 !  Simply, the winning bidder wanted it more than the $326 bidder. 

One should not assume that $327 is a lot of money to everyone.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#12 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:18

I am of the opinion Xof72k may have been correct.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebay

Sponsored Content

|