Suggestions Needed

Inkedinker

I have a Pelikan M200 Marble Blue with a vintage 14k nib. It's a really juicy/wet pen. I am seeking a blue or blue/black ink that will compliment the pen but also dry quick and not feather as much. I have Diamine Blue Velvet in the pen now and not super fond of the feathering and bleed through.post-132566-0-41513900-1480736071_thumb.jpg

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inkedinker

• jmccarty3

• Runnin_Ute

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been very impressed with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo for its performance. But that should come as no surprise given its reputation.

Hi,

I invite you to pair your pen with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black or Montblanc Royal Blue.

Let us dance...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I would avoid Iroshihzuku inks, for the most part -- they tend to be pretty wet inks. I had plans to use Yama-guri in my M400 for doing drawing -- only the ink was way too wet for the pen, which is a gusher (you've never know from the line it puts down that it's an F nib).

You want to be looking at an ink that runs on the dry side to balance the wetness of the pen. I don't know how you feel about iron gall inks, but you might want to look at one of those, since they tend to be dry. You will have to flush a little more often -- use a dilute vinegar solution (instead of ammonia solution) as well as distilled water. Is the nib a Pelikan nib, or one retrofit to the feed and nib unit? You may still be able to unscrew the entire nib unit for easier flushing.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Realize that feathering and bleed though is affected by several variables:

• How much ink you are laying down. More ink, more likely to feather and bleed though. Wet pen = lots of ink.
    So you already have a problem.
  • The paper. Some papers behave like blotting paper. You NEED to use fountain pen friendly paper.
    Try some HP 32# Premium or Clairefontaine or Rhodia paper.
  • The ink. The more fluid the ink, the more likely it is to feather and bleed through.
    In your case, with a WET pen, you need a DRY ink. The dryest ink that I know of is Pelikan.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi,

I invite you to pair your pen with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black or Montblanc Royal Blue.

Let us dance...

Bye,

S1

+1. The 4001 Blue-Black is the perfect mate for my wet M1000 EF nib.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Pelikan Konigsblau (Royal Blue)...

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Well looks like I need to put in another order for some samples then get a bottle. I'm current waiting for an order of Rhodia to come in. Hopefully once it all comes together, I should be good!!

Thank you all.

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

Well looks like I need to put in another order for some samples then get a bottle. I'm current waiting for an order of Rhodia to come in. Hopefully once it all comes together, I should be good!!

Thank you all.

I see you are in the US. If you go Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, you will need to either find someone stateside that has a bottle they are willing to part with or buy a bottle from the UK or other source as it is no longer officially imported into the US by Pelikan.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I switched from Twilight to Tsuki-yo because Twilight is a horrendous bleeder on cheap copy and was a little surprised to get some show/bleed with Tsuki-yo, too; not anywhere near as bad as Twilight but some. I've had better results than Ruth with Yama-guri but that may be as I've only used it in a Sheaffer Cadet with F1 nib.

Maybe try a Sailor blue?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

You could also try R&K Salix. It's reputed to be dry, rather benign c.f. most iron-gall inks, and should go quite well with the binde on your M200, going down blue and darkening to a blue-grey. Another option would be Sailor's nano-pigment blue-black, which I believe is Sei-Boku. It has a reputation for not feathering or bleeding.

Interesting and thank you. I'll look around or maybe try eBay?

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black isn't too hard to find on eBay. You can also look for it on the sites of UK, German, and Dutch dealers.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.