Gifted First Konrad

Taiin

My boyfriend has amazing intuition! For when we exchanged an early Christmas gift, he presented with a gorgeous Noodler's Coral Sea Konrad! He doesn't know much about fountain pens and isn't terribly interested in them (but he'll leave me little love notes in my writing stuff on sticky notes, tucked into notebooks or drawers, waiting for me to find them). But he was right on the money about what would make me incredibly happy. Though I'd be happy with any gift from him, it just so happened to be an awesome one. He must've used his knowledge that most of my pens and ink are made by Noodler's, and anything blue is a definite win.

Now I am going through what samples I have to try and link it up with a color that compliments the pen. I might also buy an extra flex nib and replacement ebonite feed and try the Flex Mod.

post-113720-0-90392600-1480729165_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• dogpoet

• Runnin_Ute

• Taiin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations (on both the gift and your excellent choice in boyfriends ;)).

I don't remember . Is this one of the resin-bodied ones, or one of the acrylic ones. I keep waiting for more colors of the ebonite ones to be released, and most of the acrylic colors don't interest me much -- the one I *should* have gotten when I had a chance was Baikal -- but I've been curious about how the acrylic ones are overall (one issue with the resin ones is that they are a bit more likely to have ink evaporate out of them, in my experience, even though I have generally liked all of mine).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have the Red Mesa Tortoise Konrad (resin). Now it has a Goulet Branded Jowo nib in broad

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

It's definitely a nice thought on your boyfriend's part, but just think what he might have got you if you'd been using Pelikan ink.

;)

Hey -- baby steps here! Give the poor guy a chance to get his toes dipped before he jumps down the rabbit hole with the rest of us.... :lol:

And he's better than my husband, who has flat out refused to buy me *any* pens, on the grounds being afraid to get the "wrong" one.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It's definitely a nice thought on your boyfriend's part, but just think what he might have got you if you'd been using Pelikan ink.

;)

Hah! I don't think I've ever looked at Pelikan pens because they are on the spendier side. At least the ink seems quite affordable!

Hey -- baby steps here! Give the poor guy a chance to get his toes dipped before he jumps down the rabbit hole with the rest of us.... :lol:

And he's better than my husband, who has flat out refused to buy me *any* pens, on the grounds being afraid to get the "wrong" one.

I suspect any pen your husband might get you would be the "right" pen, because it is special that it came from him! Even if it is a duplicate or something. I am glad my lad knew me well enough to choose a pen I definitely would have chosen myself. Though not sure if he'd get into fountain pens yet. At this point he prefers his four color click ballpoint for his daily writing. No worries about ink stains or spills I suppose!

Any pens that get my wife's name on them as gifts on the "FROM:" line, are ones I pick out and often even go online to purchase.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I suspect any pen your husband might get you would be the "right" pen, because it is special that it came from him! Even if it is a duplicate or something. I am glad my lad knew me well enough to choose a pen I definitely would have chosen myself. Though not sure if he'd get into fountain pens yet. At this point he prefers his four color click ballpoint for his daily writing. No worries about ink stains or spills I suppose!

Well, you're preaching to the converted here. :lol:

It's not like I haven't hinted.... And it's not like I don't *show* him the pens I get at pen shows or online (and also on occasion pointed out ones that you couldn't pay me enough to use...). But then, I had to flat out tell him what I wanted for Christmas this year (no, not a pen :rolleyes:) -- I've been wanting one of the Beatles White Album jigsaw puzzle for a while now (I think since before I HAD any fountain pens, maybe, and have been kicking myself that I didn't just go buy one when they were first for sale at Barnes and Noble -- or maybe even at Borders...) and we sort of jointly decided that it was just as easy for me to go on eBay and get one.... So I have a bid in on a box (which I THINK was marked as being "New"), plus a whole lot of other listings in the watch list, with notes as to the cost, when factoring in shipping charges. Some of the listings I don't even know why I'm watching, though -- $25 US + an *additional* $14 shipping.... :yikes:

A white album jigsaw? That sounds cool. Probably take a while to solve, though...

I'm looking forward to trying -- I love jigsaw puzzles (I always have -- even, apparently when I so little that I'd chew on the wooden pieces when I got bored... :huh:) and I love a challenge (especially since this one is a two-sided design B)). I tend to look at shapes rather than colors a lot of the time on jigsaw puzzles, because very often a subtle nuance of color are on the edge of piece, right where it's cut, and you lose that detail.

I have a friend who has started making old fashioned wooden puzzles, laser etching medieval and Renaissance designs into the wood panel before cutting the pieces. And while I love puzzles normally, hers drive me nuts, because she will cut pieces that have flat edges that aren't edge pieces. And have 2 pieces the *identical* shape (she uses a laser cutter at Pittsburgh' Tech Shop). So you HAVE to look at the picture while you're working the puzzle... which, IMO, is absolutely no fun at ALL.... :angry:

Oh and I won the auction -- minimum bid of $4, with $9 s/h. :bunny01: The shipping was a bit higher than some listings, but with the overall price was still the cheapest listing currently up. Had to sit up till nearly midnight to see, and then pay. No info about shipping/tracking yet, but there's an ETA of the middle of next week. Bonus is that I could then stop watching all the OTHER "White Album" jigsaw puzzle listings.... :notworthy1:

I remember seeing one in a store a few years ago, but not wanting to spend the money at the time. And then of course was kicking myself later....

Heh. Congratulations on winning one, then, Ruth.

Thanks.

Got a notification that it's been shipped. :-). But it's standard shipping, so no tracking info, and also sweating out whether I'll be home when it arrives. I've got 3 parcels all with tentative ETAs between Friday and the middle of next week, and there have been reports on the news of people stealing packages. Plus the weather at this time of year is iffy at best. Something happening to the puzzle will be annoying. The book I got for my brother for Christmas would be quite annoying. The thing I'm most worried about, though, is the set of replacement toner cartridges for the laser printer. Even with a $50 Amazon gift card, that order was quite pricy :( and most decidedly NOT a gift, but a necessity. And I'm concerned about them getting damaged as well as stolen.