Alert: Sartorial Assault On Fountan Pen Shirt Pockets

T4TEXAS

I hadn't noticed this until recently. I bought a small batch of slightly different shirts from a local Aussie retailer. It was only after I first dressed for work that I missed the pocket. Nowhere to keep my Opal (travel) card, office entry card, notebook (small, A4, handmade from Tomoe River) and pen. Trouser pockets already overloaded with wallet, keys, phone.

The backpack is, well, on my back. Not easy to get a quickly.

I refuse to get a manbag. I may have to hire a porter...

I wonder if one of those arm thingies for your iPod when you are jogging (Ha!, with my knees!!) might do.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• jar

• Sandy1

• inkstainedruth

kilts...have a pen pocket...money pocket....pocket for a left over hagis......that hairy manbag; the very first manbag....and a knife to sharpen goose quills.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Though I'm old ish - I don't know how far back in time shirt breast pockets go - but certainly pre 1950 in the U.K., and probably many other places too - in their workplace men would have dressed in a two or three piece suit - so it's unlikely that at that time a shirt breast pocket would have been necessary - if you wear a full suit then you are knee deep in pockets, usually................. in the waistcoat, in the jacket, in the trousers.

From a good dress sense point of view, small pockets in the shirt stuffed full of plastic, fag packets, pens, etc. ruin the line of the clothing and make you look like a travelling salesman carrying your entire wares in your shirt pocket.

When younger I carried a leather wallet as a matter of course, in the suit pocket.............. I've not carried wallet for years now - no money to carry - it all gets spent on pens. :lticaptd:

So, it's possible that shirt breast pockets might date only from the mid C20 or a tad later.

I'm all in favour of shirt pockets - I'm lost without one - the main reason being that it's the location of my single piece of plastic, which is a Visa/Debit card - and apart from one occasion, I've yet to lose it, having carried it for many years in that one pocket (different shirts you understand). :D

The one occasion disaster beckoned, was during the summer, when all I was wearing up top was a breast-pocketed short-sleeve shirt, and at the time was passing through the main entrance into the British Museum in London.

Like most modern galleries and museums, this institution relies a lot on the generosity of patrons, and they have large glass and steel receptacles in their vestibules and hallways ready to relieve you of your donations as you enter, and so feeling inquisitive I approached the main very large receptacle and peered in - staggered to see the vast quantities of notes and coin from around the world.

As I peered, in a very much leaning over posture, a small something slithered from my shirt and found it's way down the small opening and into the chute and joined the Yen and Dollars inside the donations box.

I did eventually have the card returned to me by the museum, but an embarrassing event which I never saw coming.

So, moral of the story is keep your piece of plastic safe, and don't lean over donation boxes. :D

Edited by PaulS

Hi,

While i do not follow men's fashion, I am accustomed to seeing men's shirts without pockets in a more 'formal' situation.

(My blouses are without pockets, but in the field, even wearing a mannish shirt, I carry my pen in a wee flashlight holder on my waist belt; or if wearing PPE, in a pen slot on the upper Left arm my shirt.)

Let me speculate that men's shirts without pockets reflect the trend of being without a writing implement, rather that now the smartphone stuffed in the back pocket of trousers has become more predominant.

From this lady's standpoint, I would rather have gents' shirt pockets overloaded than their trousers have pockets.

And then there's kilts...

Bye,

S1

You can always carry your pen in your sporran.

"Is that a fountain pen I see in your sporran or are you just glad to see me?"

http://www.fototime.com/C943DBC4DB6938D/medium800.jpg

My Website

My T-Shirts and polo shirts have pockets; I wouldn't buy them without. On the other hand, I do most of my clothes shopping at K-Mart. :)

All my dress shirts have pockets, and if I'm wearing them, I probably have on a jacket with an inside breast pocket.

Being totally indifferent to fashion helps.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Now THAT is my kind of man bag!

Hi,

Off to a good start.

But I have my doubts that the 'Hello Kitty' sporan was officially adopted by a clan or regiment. :D

As ever, I stand to be corrected by those more experienced / knowledgeable.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Off to a good start.

But I have my doubts that the 'Hello Kitty' sporan was officially adopted by a clan or regiment. :D

As ever, I stand to be corrected by those more experienced / knowledgeable.

Bye,

S1

IIRC it was used by the Far Eastern Scots of the Kiso Highlands.

My Website

You can always carry your pen in your sporran.

"Is that a fountain pen I see in your sporran or are you just glad to see me?"

http://www.fototime.com/C943DBC4DB6938D/medium800.jpg

He could always tuck a pen inside his sock. :)

I had 3 tailor suits made recently. (got married)

And each time I was advised that pockets were a no-no on shirts these days. Each time I told the dude to put the *&*!*^@ pocket on. heh.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

quote from Chrissy ... "He could always tuck a pen inside his sock" ............. then when he reached for his Sgian Dubh out would come a MB instead - this one's no dirk he'd exclaim!! :lticaptd: well, they say the pen is mightier than the sword.

Edited by PaulS

quote from Chrissy ... "He could always tuck a pen inside his sock" ............. then when he reached for his Sgian Dubh out would come a MB instead - this one's no dirk he'd exclaim!! :lticaptd: well, they say the pen is mightier than the sword.

:lticaptd: He's already got his dirk in his other sock. :)

I had 3 tailor suits made recently. (got married)

And each time I was advised that pockets were a no-no on shirts these days. Each time I told the dude to put the *&*!*^@ pocket on. heh.

Hi,

Congratulations on your marriage. :)

​Continue writing billets doux to your bride.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

IIRC it was used by the Far Eastern Scots of the Kiso Highlands.

Hi,

Many thanks!

My imagination only got as far as ruling out cowboys & wranglers from Texas. :)

Bye,

S1

Though I'm old ish - I don't know how far back in time shirt breast pockets go - but certainly pre 1950 in the U.K., and probably many other places too - in their workplace men would have dressed in a two or three piece suit

That's a good point. When men wore three piece suits there was no need for a breast pocket on their shirt since a waistcoat usually had two or three pockets. In fact, Brooks Brothers supposedly did not add pockets to their shirts until the 1950s, probably when men starts wearing two pieces suits or sport coats. Traditionally formal shirts don't have pockets since they are worn with a jacket.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

That's a good point. When men wore three piece suits there was no need for a breast pocket on their shirt since a waistcoat usually had two or three pockets. In fact, Brooks Brothers supposedly did not add pockets to their shirts until the 1950s, probably when men starts wearing two pieces suits or sport coats. Traditionally formal shirts don't have pockets since they are worn with a jacket.

I agree. A formal shirt especially if it has french cuffs for links is thought not to need a breast pocket, and should be worn with a jacket. At times I do wear a jacket just to have a safe place for a pen and phone. The slim cut pants these days don't leave much room for either as well.

A few good shirt makers (I like Charles Tyrwhitt) will give you the option of the pocket (For $7.00 more)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and I wield an extrafine point...... En garde!! :-)

Another aspect of this thread is one of trickle down unemployment.

This no pocket idea is going to be the demise of the pocket protector industry

​Merry Christmas Brooks Brothers et al sheep

Bah Humbug

Men don't know how good they've had it, being able to haul most of their possessions in pockets. AND being able to get clothes tailored without having to virtually redesign items shaped around "ideal" malformed sizes. Let's not get into trying to find dress shoes without stilts on the heels to make sure that childlike toddle hobbles your gait. So if you're only worried about pens, suck it up, snowflake!

Nothing new here. Formal shirts do not normally have pockets. If one needs to carry a pen, a wad of folded papers, or a pocket protector, there should be an interior pocket in one's jacket for that. Shirts with pockets are just another case of casual/sports style intruding into business dress.

Occasionally fashion realizes where it's going and does a temporary U-turn. But in a society where normal business wear can be anything from casual dress shirts and slacks to jeans and a polo shirt, and dressing too casually is seen as a signal of power and accessibility, a return to more formal style is bound to be temporary.

ron