Real Or Fake, Some Members Buy From Dubious Sources?

Pickwick

All too frequently some members who buy a Montblanc be it a fountain or ballpoint pen, ask for reassurance as to whether it is real or fake. Other knowledgeable members do their best to identify the authenticity. I notice however that no one seems to question where these pens were originally purchased. Surely these members who have doubts have not sought authorized or authentic dealerships. Otherwise there would be no doubt in their minds. Why take a chance buying from seemingly dubious sources?

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pickwick

• meiers

• torstar

• Chrissy

People think that with no experience or research that they can enter an established market and get a great bargain.

Half of me thinks they get exactly what they deserve.

Montblanc is a brand of FP that has a market with far more buyers than sellers, the buyers are very educated on value, so you are not getting a $1,000 pen for $15....

People think that with no experience or research that they can enter an established market and get a great bargain.

Half of me thinks they get exactly what they deserve.

Montblanc is a brand of FP that has a market with far more buyers than sellers, the buyers are very educated on value, so you are not getting a $1,000 pen for $15....

Dag gummit, there goes my plan for Christmas.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

It's kind of like both sides entering an armed drug deal thinking they are gonna take advantage of the other side, but not quite that serious for a pen purchase where "complete bad faith" is exhibited by both sides.

Okay, so maybe there's a kind soul out there who lives like someone in an O'Henry story and thinks he or she can buy a good pen on the cheap for the boss or love of their life and have it end up in a bitterly but heartwarming irony.

Don't worry Doug! I inherited a shoe box full of Mount Blank pens from my dear uncle in China. They are actually a little nicer than regular MB pens because they have star with 8 points and we all know more point is more better.They will soon be on eBay as the gin-u-ine article. Feel free to stock up for friends and family. I have all boxes an paperwork.

:D

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Don't worry Doug! I inherited a shoe box full of Mount Blank pens from my dear uncle in China. They are actually a little nicer than regular MB pens because they have star with 8 points and we all know more point is more better.They will soon be on eBay as the gin-u-ine article. Feel free to stock up for friends and family. I have all boxes an paperwork.

:D

Can we drum up the most obvious fake MB offer? Has to be a Carnegie for $20 out there somewhere...

edit: forgive me, the "Hommage à Andrew Carnegie"

Edited by torstar

All too frequently some members who buy a Montblanc be it a fountain or ballpoint pen, ask for reassurance as to whether it is real or fake. Other knowledgeable members do their best to identify the authenticity. I notice however that no one seems to question where these pens were originally purchased. Surely these members who have doubts have not sought authorized or authentic dealerships. Otherwise there would be no doubt in their minds. Why take a chance buying from seemingly dubious sources?

Montblanc wants 70%+ of the price of their products to simply be the logo on top. There are many, even die-hard fans of the brand like myself, who feel this is ludicrous and not worth it. I own three pens from authorized retailers or boutiques - a 145, a platinum 146, and a Heritage 1912. The first two were gifts and would not have been purchased from ADs were it my money. The latter was purchased with a couple of hefty discounts from an AD in another country. I will never pay full-price for any pen from Montblanc, so instead I educate myself about authentication of various models and time periods and take my chances on the likes of the FPN Classifieds or /r/Pen_Swap or eBay.

Montblanc wants 70%+ of the price of their products to simply be the logo on top. There are many, even die-hard fans of the brand like myself, who feel this is ludicrous and not worth it. I own three pens from authorized retailers or boutiques - a 145, a platinum 146, and a Heritage 1912. The first two were gifts and would not have been purchased from ADs were it my money. The latter was purchased with a couple of hefty discounts from an AD in another country. I will never pay full-price for any pen from Montblanc, so instead I educate myself about authentication of various models and time periods and take my chances on the likes of the FPN Classifieds or /r/Pen_Swap or eBay.

It's ALWAYS been worth it for my MBs.

And some good hunting and patience can be rewarded with a decent price, but a total ripoff of the seller isn't going to happen..

Edited by torstar

Why do people intentionally buy fake designer clothes, handbags and jewellery?

Why do people unintentionally buy fake car parts and prescription drugs?

Why do people intentionally buy fake designer clothes, handbags and jewellery?

Why do people unintentionally buy fake car parts and prescription drugs?

But my dear friend, those who buy the first know full well what they are doing and don't start anxiously enquiring as to whether their purchase is genuine. The individuals in question are assuming they are buying a genuine Montblanc. However once they get it out of the box and on examination start doubting if it is genuine, and desperately seeking advice from such as yourself, kneeling at their beside, hands clasped, with perspiration dripping off their brow in the hope they haven't lost several hundred Dollars!

Those who buy the latter... words fail me.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

The hunt and barter is all part of the hobby; if all we had to do was walk in a store and buy pens for an agreeable price where would the fun be?

To skip the whole concern issue, buy here. Watch market place for a while and you will soon see who reliable dealers are. 146s in excellent condition sell for about $300. 149's in similar condition sell for about $400.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

To skip the whole concern issue, buy here. Watch market place for a while and you will soon see who reliable dealers are. 146s in excellent condition sell for about $300. 149's in similar condition sell for about $400.

Yes

Edited by meiers

The hunt and barter is all part of the hobby; if all we had to do was walk in a store and buy pens for an agreeable price where would the fun be?

"I say, Jeeves, I've just bought a fake Montblanc Solitaire! Ha Ha, What fun!"

"Indeed, Sir!" With never a flicker of his eyebrow.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I think there are many buyers who would rather find an authentic Montblanc at a bargain price than just walk into a boutique and pay something like twice as much for one.

In fact, ebay or online auctions are the only possible sources for some of the WE's or LE's as they are no longer available in boutiques or from online sellers.

I think there are many buyers who would rather find an authentic Montblanc at a bargain price than just walk into a boutique and pay something like twice as much for one.

In fact, ebay or online auctions are the only possible sources for some of the WE's or LE's as they are no longer available in boutiques or from online sellers.

Just beware you do not become someone's lawful prey.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Why this website condones discussion of counterfeit merchandise, with often links being posted to said websites selling counterfeit material, is beyond me, given how harmful this can be to the original brand.

Personally I think the line should be drawn at authentications, but shilling and posting links to or discussing websites that sell counterfeit goods should be strictly prohibited.

Edited by pen jubky

Why this website condones discussion of counterfeit merchandise, with often links being posted to said websites selling counterfeit material, is beyond me, given how harmful this can be to the original brand.

Personally I think the line should be drawn at athentications, but shilling and discussing counterfeits should be strictly prohibited on this forum.

The theme was not about discussing counterfeits. The main point was about some individuals buying MBs individuals buying from seemingly dubious sources and then having doubts seeking authentication from knowledgeable members. If they had bought from a reliable source in the first place, then there would be no need for authentication.

Edited by Pickwick

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick