Esterbrook made from Bakelite

gregoron

I'm looking for Esterbrook pens (or any vintage pen) that's made out of bakelite, which is an old plastic molding process that is supposedly superior to modern day plastics. Does anyone know of any models made from it?

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• mmoncur

• FarmBoy

• gregoron

I don't know about bakelite but the Esterbrook J models are made from a colorful plastic that seems sturdier than most modern plastics. Should cost you $30-$40 for a good working one restored by a hobbyist depending on your choice of interchangable nib.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Bakelite is often used incorrectly to describe "old" plastics. There are rather few vintage pens made of bakelite.

For example some transparent colored vintage pens are indeed bakelite (I am not talking vacs - I am talking pens with

the whole barrel made of bakelite). See for example item 6218 in http://www.vintagepens.com/catill_unusual.shtml

I recall david i has posted another photo - I can not find it.

Bakelite is a relatively brittle plastic - this is why it was not very popular.

There are whoever some modern pens made of bakelite, which may come as a surprise to many.

Visconti's Monte Carlo is one of them. See http://www.visconti.it/catalog/scheda.php?idelemento=70

I dont believe that there are bakelite Esterbrook. If there were any, Brian A. would have bought them :)

Edited by antoniosz

You can find about 40 pens advertised as "bakelite" or "bakalite" on eBay at any given time, and to my knowledge none of them actually are bakelite, with an occasional exception as Antonios mentioned.

Most Esties are Celluloid, which is indeed superior to most modern plastics - with a bit of polishing, just about every 50-year-old Estie I've found can be restored to a decent finish.

Some of the older ones were made from hard rubber (ebonite).

Michael Moncur

Thanks for bringing this up! I've actually been wondering for a while what bakelite really is... I see so many people use the term to describe pens that I was beginning to wonder if it was just a second name for some other type of plastic or hard rubber.

--Stephen

Thanks for the replies. Bakelite, though brittle, does have that shiny finish to it that collectors of jewelry, toiletry items, appliances, etc. look for.

As for hard rubber Esties, are they more superior to the celluloid variety? What I mean by superior here is the finish and not necessarily durability.

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

http://penpedia.com/sig.gif

The finish on hard rubber Esties may very well have been superior when they were new, but hard rubber tends to oxidize and turn brown or green as it ages. Most of the ones you'll find these days have discolored. There are a couple of methods of reblackening them (a cheap DIY product and an expensive proprietary process) but I haven't seen any reblackened Esties yet - they tend not to be worth the price.

http://www.yrex.com/pics/dollar.jpg

The bottom pen in this picture is a Dollar Pen in black hard rubber. You can see some discoloration, especially on the cap. I'm going to buy some potion #9 and try blackening it when I get a chance.

Also, as regards finish, I believe hard rubber Esties only came in black, while the celluloid pens come in some lovely plastics as shown above...

Edited by mmoncur

Michael Moncur

99% of all fountain pens described as Bakelite on ebay et al are not.

To my knowledge the only pens made of Bakelite were some Parker Bakelite models, such as this one from 1917:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/post-4-1172885910.jpg

And late Charles Ingersoll Pens.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Ingersolls-1-1.jpg

Daniel has referenced some Waterman Bakalite models, but I don't know about it.

There is a discussion of Bakelite pens here, including a lovely picture of one of the Parker translucent bakelite models by David I.

Working with Bakalite, any tips?

John

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

One way to tell if a item is made from Bakelite is to (if possible) run it under very warm or hot water for a few seconds (use the cap). This will bring out the Formaldehyde Resin smell and it is very unpleasant. If you did the same to say the pens that mmoncur shows above it would be different. This is a trick my Mom showed me and so far it works. This of course is usually not possible but the look on an Antique dealers face when you ask to take the pen to the restroom is quit funny. Mmoncur also makes a good point about E-Bay. Bakelite was used mainly on old table top radios, costume jewelry and plastic purses.

Edited by EventHorizon

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for Esterbrook pens (or any vintage pen) that's made out of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite" target="_blank">bakelite</a>, which is an old plastic molding process that is supposedly superior to modern day plastics. Does anyone know of any models made from it?

well i have a waterman burnt orange bakelite fountian pen 14k gold tip made in usa frank

• 2 weeks later...

I dont believe that there are bakelite Esterbrook. If there were any, Brian A. would have bought them

Antonios!! Sh!!!! i thought we had a deal!! NEVER use the "B" word when talking about Esterbrook! Then people want them in all 84 colors!

:D :D :lol:

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I dont believe that there are bakelite Esterbrook. If there were any, Brian A. would have bought them

Antonios!! Sh!!!! i thought we had a deal!! NEVER use the "B" word when talking about Esterbrook! Then people want them in all 84 colors!

:D :D :lol:

Brian

85 colors. You forgot rootbeer.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

and skunk. forgot skunk.

Brian

Oh yeah. 86 colors.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

There are some inkwells (Carter's Cube-Well by Carter's Ink Company and Morriset Pen-Ink Unit by Bert M. Morris Company) and inkwell covers or caps (Defiance Inkstand by Defiance Mfg. Company or Defiance Sales Corp.) that are made of bakelite, but I don't know if Esterbrook even made its Dip Less Desk Pen Set pen-and-ink holder from bakelite. Brian, Todd or some others might know that.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

• 4 years later...

There is a vintage WWII Autograph, army green on eBay right now. They say it is Bakelite. I don't know how to cut and paste to show. It is currently $9.95. They say it works, but that could be open to interpretation. Is it a good deal for this vintage pen?