Sheaffer Balance Touchdown Nib Removal?

DekeVader

Hi all!

I got myself a nice Balance Touchdown with pneumatic filling system. It was used and Ive found the filling system isn't working and Ive found some references on how to fix it. But I figured it would be best to clean it up really well at the same time. This has the two tone 14k nib and Ive tried to remove it but it's in there tight and I'm afraid to use too much force. Does anyone know if these nibs/feed are friction fit? Will I be okay to use a bit more force?

Also I have a Targa slim which is in great shape except the black lacquer is peeling/chipping. Is there a lacquer or process I can do to restore it? Id like to try to restore it so I can give it as a gift.

Thanks all!!

-Deke

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DekeVader

• viju

• Ron Z

• Happy Harry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought old balance came only in lever and vacuum fillers. My advice is don't try to remove nib and feed by using excess force you may damage it. It may not be necessary because socking and flushing using bulb syringe will make it clean but you may have to do it several times. You can change the sac and O ring at the end of barrel and it will be up and running again.

To my knowledge the open nib and feed are friction fit, at least couple of sheaffers I own are friction fit. Wait until you hear an expert opinion. Posting pictures will help.

The pneumatic is the vacuum type filler. I think they just named it that to make it sound sophisticated. The main problem is when you pull the back end out it isn't pulling out all the air and thus creating the vacuum so when you push it in while the nib is submerged in ink it won't fill. The only way to fill it currently is to remove the barrel and then dip the pen and manually squeeze the sack a few times.

The sack is actually in pretty good condition. There has to be something else wrong but I haven't identified it yet. I was thinking though if I could do a solid cleaning of the entire pen the re assemble with new grease etc it might fill properly.

-Deke

Here are some pics. The sac sort of appears as though it's glued in place but I'm not sure. No ink leaks from it.

post-129792-0-18099800-1480646767_thumb.jpg

post-129792-0-82825500-1480646786_thumb.jpg

post-129792-0-64598300-1480646806_thumb.jpg

post-129792-0-63301300-1480646822_thumb.jpg

post-129792-0-41171600-1480646845_thumb.jpg

If the sac is still pliable and appear to be in good condition, no need to change it. Of course it is glued to section using shellac or some kind of adhesive. If you are able to fill the pen by pressing the sac there is nothing wrong. Only thing you need to change is the O ring at the end of barrel which act as a seal to create pressure to squeeze the sac while filling. You can buy them online and replacing is relatively simple. You can find details searching online.

The pen is a TM TD Sovereign. Do not remove the nib, these where heat set in factory and difficult to put back in place.The sac is attached with shellac , the o ring needs replacing as mentioned above and lubricated with a silicone grease when replaced. Nice pens and excellent writers when restored. In a lot of cases a professional restoration is easier than buying all the "bits" for a single pen job.

Why is the nib set so high?

That's how I got it. One of the reasons I was tempted to remove it was because it was so high. But if it's heat set I'm not about to mess with it. The pen writes and is actually very smooth for a Fine. I'd had to mess up anything trying to make it more visually appealing when it's a good writer already. Though I may try to get it restored by a professional at some point. I really love the pen and would like to be able to fill it the way it's meant to rather than having to open it up and squeeze the sack in order to get it to fill with ink.

Depends on how much it costs to get restored honestly.

-Deke

I don't know where they got the idea that the nib is "heat set," as if it is something special. You often need to warm a section as the nib and feed are pressed into place. It is a rather tight friction fit though because the nib is a wedge, and gets tighter the farther in it is set. But as long as the collector fins are close to the section, the nib does not shift, and it clears the inside end of the cap, you should be OK.

I disagree with the idea that if the sac is pliable, you don't need to replace it. I do not reuse sacs that have been in a pen for any extended period of time. Sacs stretch on the sac nipple, so will not have as snug a fit as they should if you reuse them. You also don't know how long the sac has been in use. Sacs cost all of a couple bucks. Why risk a sac failure, and the mess that goes with it, and have to work on the pen again?

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I don't know where they got the idea that the nib is "heat set," as if it is something special. You often need to warm a section as the nib and feed are pressed into place. It is a rather tight friction fit though because the nib is a wedge, and gets tighter the farther in it is set. But as long as the collector fins are close to the section, the nib does not shift, and it clears the inside end of the cap, you should be OK.

I disagree with the idea that if the sac is pliable, you don't need to replace it. I do not reuse sacs that have been in a pen for any extended period of time. Sacs stretch on the sac nipple, so will not have as snug a fit as they should if you reuse them. You also don't know how long the sac has been in use. Sacs cost all of a couple bucks. Why risk a sac failure, and the mess that goes with it, and have to work on the pen again?

The issue here is once removed the nib and feed are easily put back in place without heat, too easily that a lot of the time the nib remains loose and prone to "wobble" and easy removal if set to standard depth. It is far better with these to avoid removing them if possible and if there is no need (of course there are instances that require removal), advice I'm happy to repeat time and time again.

For the amateur, I agree that routine nib removal isn't indicated. But quite often one finds that the feed that is so loaded with dried ink or other crud that you have to take them apart. Often heating the feed to lift the impression of the nib on the feed is enough to eliminated wobble.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.