Loose Leaf Notebook Filler Paper Bleed-Through Battle

bob_hayden

I needed some looseleaf paper for a class I'm taking, and this thread inspired me so I bought some filler paper to try out. This paper has been mentioned before in this thread. Its the "Bazic" brand, sold by Daiso and made in Indonesia.

This paper is rather impressive. There is almost no bleedthrough/showthrough from the selection of inks I threw at it. The only noticeable bleedthrough is with DeAtrementis Aubergine, one of the "problem child" inks in my collection due to its tendency to feather and bleedthrough. Noodler's Heart of Darkness and R&K Cassia tie for second place in the bleedthrough competition, but still it's not bad.

fpn_1535426147__daiso_filler_front.jpg

fpn_1535426166__daiso_filler_back.jpg

fpn_1535426033__daiso_filler_cover.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• inkypete

• TSherbs

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Daiso also sells some quad-ruled filler paper. This is "Bazic" brand quad rule filler paper, sold by Daiso, made in Vietnam. It does not perform nearly as well as the Daiso wide-rule filler paper. Besides the bleedthrough, many inks spread and feather on this paper.

fpn_1535675258__quad_front.jpg

fpn_1535675250__quad_back.jpg

fpn_1535675266__quad_cover.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

• 2 weeks later...

Daiso paper downunder is simply branded Daiso and made in Indonesia. Performs very well at an excellent price. Daiso continues to deliver fantastic stationery bargains.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• 2 weeks later...

Daiso paper downunder is simply branded Daiso and made in Indonesia.

Some of the sizes/formats are made in Indonesia; others are made in China. In the Daiso stores around Sydney CBD and the city fringe, they have a few SKUs of paper products that are made in Japan, but only as bound notebooks, and not loose leaf sheets or notepads.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

dg_office_paper_graph_pad_7858_040918.jp

Here is another Dollar General product that may be of interest to some. It is not loose leaf filler paper but others have posted about graph paper here so I will too. This product comes in a pad with a stiff backing. There are 80 sheets and the cost is $1.75, You can find it (and presumably order it) at the DG website.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/dg-office-graph-paper-pad-80-ct.html

I picked up a pad at my local DG. The reverse side of the paper is college ruled rather than graph paper. The odd page size quoted is for the pad as a whole. The pages are perforated and tear off cleanly. The removed page is a more standard (in the US) 8.5X11 inches. The paper is made in India. It looks like cheap paper for back to school and is not particularly heavyweight.

To test for feathering and bleed through I recalled that the worst inks I have for these properties are the yellow-green Vert Pre and Always Greener. I knew I had one pen inked with one of those from testing a few days ago. I also recalled writing a letter earlier in the day to my Irish mother. I always use green ink for that, and I knew both the pens I tried to use showed some bleed through with whatever was in them on the paper I was using. So, my test consisted of using every pen I could find (eight of them) that was filled with green ink. The two that bled this morning were fine. One of the other inks showed through on the back of the page but for the other seven I had to look carefully to be able to detect that there was writing on the other side. On the front, the problem ink did not look furry, but it did look as though the nib were much wider than it really is. So I think that in most circumstances this paper would be fine for writing on both sides of the page. I would rank it with the best of the loose leaf filler papers, but it costs more than twice as much per page, so it will probably be of interest only to those who want graph paper or a pad with a stiff backing.

After the latest package of Dollar General paper proved disappointing I was tempted to steer everyone to the Wal Mart paper -- but then I decided that first I should retest that. The sad news is that it has declined even more than the DG paper. It's now near to top of the not recommended brands.

Time to retest Top Flight;-(

A fresh package of Top Flight acts just like the package I tested earlier so this is now my top pick for wide ruled filler paper. (As noted earlier the Staples product people like is not available (to me anyway) wide ruled, which is what I use.) I paid $1.49 for 150 sheets which is more than the products whose quality has fallen. I find it in most big grocery stores around here.

• 11 months later...

It's back-to-school time again and Staples had their loose leaf filler paper on sale for 50 cents a package. Other posts in this thread have praised the paper from Brazil, but I had never been able to find that wide ruled. (Did not even look at "college" ruled as I have no use for that.) This year I went through the store's entire inventory and found ONE package from Brazil. I got one each from Egypt and Indonesia as well for comparison. I did quick tests with three inks I had in pens already, then added Levenger Always Greener which I consider to be the acid test as it bleeds through most everything. The paper from Brazil was indeed the best in general, though that from Egypt was pretty good, and actually did a bit better with Always Greener. The paper from Indonesia was a distant third, though not bad compared to what passes for writing paper these days.

http://statland.org/PenPix/Staples/Bf.jpg

http://statland.org/PenPix/Staples/Bb.jpg

http://statland.org/PenPix/Staples/Ef.jpg

http://statland.org/PenPix/Staples/Eb.jpg

http://statland.org/PenPix/Staples/If.jpg

http://statland.org/PenPix/Staples/Ib.jpg