• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• justaninker

• inkstainedruth

• NickiStew

Whaleman's Sepia is a gorgeous color. But I had horrible flow issues with it. As in, it wouldn't. :angry: I had to dilute it with distilled water to get it to do anything besides cling to the ink chamber in the pen, a Noodler's FPC. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It is a sample I am very much looking forward to receiving. It looks dark enough I can use it for professional use (assuming I do not have similar clogging issues that Ruth had), and it has a forgery property I would very much like to use in daily work. I cannot wait to try it.

It is a sample I am very much looking forward to receiving. It looks dark enough I can use it for professional use (assuming I do not have similar clogging issues that Ruth had), and it has a forgery property I would very much like to use in daily work. I cannot wait to try it.

I wouldn't call it clogging. I've had inks that clog (generally from nib creep buildup, like with Kung Te Cheng; or just from their more saturated consistency). No, in this case it just wouldn't flow. It was really peculiar -- I don't think I've ever run across an ink that behaved that way. Which is too bad, because the color was really pretty awesome.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

it's like muddy water

yes, flow issues

like it has stuff in it that never dissolved

cool color though

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

I just dip penned some Kung the Cheng tonight to try that one. I really like it too. Darn, why is the two colors I seem to be most excited about you guys are making me afraid to put in the pens I most want to use them with?

The only ink I gave away in anger, but also specifically knowing that the recipient actually desired the stuff. It was early in my pendom, before I knew about samples, and I actually fell for the Large Bottle with a free pen. I was so new that I kept thinking it was me, that somehow I was screwing it up. Every pen I owned hated it, and I really wanted to like that ink.

Awful stuff. Ick. Feh.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Love both KTC and WS. Dilution tames KTC. WS is more of a challenge. I add surfactants to WS and use pens with sealing caps, which ameliorate the flow problem. Diluting WS is not as effective as diluting KTC in preventing drying, but my surfactant-adulterated WS has been writing just fine in a Pilot Petit1, the pen with the best sealing cap I've seen.

Justin: I've not tried diluting inks before. What's the mix you use for KTC? I might give that a shot. And what's a surfactant?

Justin: I've not tried diluting inks before. What's the mix you use for KTC? I might give that a shot. And what's a surfactant?

KTC is extremely concentrated, you can essentially free-dilute using distilled water. I dilute at least 30-50% to get a softer, bluish-purple colored ink with good flow and no hard start. If you want a darker color, try 20%.

Surfactants reduce surface tension and enhance flow, making inks wetter. Detergents are surfactants, for example. I use surfactants in dry inks that I do not wish to dilute.

Do you mean a dish detergent? Something like a standard Palmolive?

Dish liquid contains detergents as active ingredients, plus many other chemicals like fragrances, coloring, preservatives, etc. I wouldn't use dish soap in inks. Pure surfactants can be purchased online, or you can buy photoflo, a surfactant solution used in photo development, that others on the forum has used with good results.

Two surfactants that have worked well for me are Dawn liquid detergent and Kodak PhotoFlo. The KP is available at Amazon. You only have to use one small drop in a couple mls of ink to significantly increase the flow. Anymore and the pen will become a gusher. I place two ml of ink in a sample vial and add a drop of surfactant to the ink...mix it...and draw it up into the pen. Haven't had it fail me yet.

Two surfactants that have worked well for me are Dawn liquid detergent and Kodak PhotoFlo. The KP is available at Amazon. You only have to use one small drop in a couple mls of ink to significantly increase the flow. Anymore and the pen will become a gusher. I place two ml of ink in a sample vial and add a drop of surfactant to the ink...mix it...and draw it up into the pen. Haven't had it fail me yet.

Thank you. I will look for that. I think I have some Dawn here now, might try that first.

I too had problems with this ink. Would not flow at all after one night in the pen. Dipping the nib in water had no effect. Very had to flush out.

KTC is extremely concentrated, you can essentially free-dilute using distilled water. I dilute at least 30-50% to get a softer, bluish-purple colored ink with good flow and no hard start. If you want a darker color, try 20%.

Surfactants reduce surface tension and enhance flow, making inks wetter. Detergents are surfactants, for example. I use surfactants in dry inks that I do not wish to dilute.

Personally, I wouldn't dilute it that much because it becomes a light purple at that point. I have light purple inks. I may try a slight dilution, though, the next time I pull it out. Just enough dilution to keep the ink from nib creep/clogging the slit. Not enough to lose the amazing and unique color. Maybe a couple of drops per fill.

Do you think distilled water will be enough, or should I see if I can get PhotoFlo around here? There's a couple of camera stores that I know of.... Hmmm. Just looked at the websites for both places and couldn't find it in their search functions. :( Does seem to be available through Amazon though....