Parker 75 - Repairing A Broken Convertor Nipple In Section

fountainbel

Hi all,

I've just repaired a Parker 75 on which the convertor nipple inside the section broke off.

Although this does not seems to happen frequently, I've already repaired 3 pens with this problem over the last 2 years.

Since the early sections - featuring the triangle shaped grip - are extremely hard to find and very expensive, I've opted for a repair approach.

The rear section bore is drilled with 3.2mm and tapped with an M4 screw thread.

The nipple which screws in the tapped hole is secured with 2 components epoxy.

The nipple itself is made from Ketron Peek, a very hard and though plastic.

Works perfectly !

Best regards,

Francis

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Repaired%20Vintage%20fountain%20pens/P1010213.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• mitto

• Chrissy

• Ron Z

Nice repair Francis! This is the first I've seen this material. Chemical resistant - do adhesives adhere any better that they do with delrin? I see that they also make it in black and in a carbon reinforced version.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Nice repair Francis! This is the first I've seen this material. Chemical resistant - do adhesives adhere any better that they do with delrin? I see that they also make it in black and in a carbon reinforced version.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your comment !

I've opted for this hard material because the material will not "set" - slightly reduce in diameter - under the radial pretension of the convertor.

Using delrin this would be a potential risk in my opinion, leading to leakage risks over time

It adheres perfectly in the section using 2 components epoxy , solid as a rock.

And yes, PEEK is also obtainable in black en in a carbon reinforced version.

These are however more difficult to find and more expensive

I mostly use the standard light brown material , surely on parts which are not visible.

Francis

I've opted for this hard material because the material will not "set" - slightly reduce in diameter - under the radial pretension of the convertor.

Good point. File that nugget in the database. Not as brittle as acrylic either.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 1 year later...

The nipple in the P75/P45 is part of the collector. So how is this replacement nipple being screwed into the end of the collector?

Parker 75 collector:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2016/post-117288-0-61413400-1476248179.jpg

Parker 75 collector and two versions of Parker 45 collectors:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_11_2016/post-117288-0-36817300-1478240966.jpg

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The nipple in the P75/P45 is part of the collector. So how is this replacement nipple being screwed into the end of the collector?

Parker 75 collector:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2016/post-117288-0-61413400-1476248179.jpg

Parker 75 collector and two versions of Parker 45 collectors:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_11_2016/post-117288-0-36817300-1478240966.jpg

Very interesting mitto, thanks for shearing !
On the few pens I've repaired the nipple surely was an integrated part of the section.
I now realize the pens I’ve repaired were from the later design, featuring the thicker cylindrical feed with integrated collector grooves.
On the early design the conical shaped collector can only be removed from the rear , so the nipple can't be part of the section
As for repair of the earlier version - shown in your picture - I don’t have one of these available for the moment.
Are you sure the nipple is not part of a separate flange which can be disassembled from the collector ?
When the nipple is a separate part one could make an install a copy.
When the nipple is effectively part of the collector one can probably enlarge the central hole on a depth of 2- 3mm (depending the length of the solid non finned part of the collectior ) and install/glue a screwed nipple replacement bushing.
I either situation a repair should remain possible, at least in my opinion.

Francis

I tried quite hard to make something that would stay inside my Parker 45 collector that is missing it's collector nipple. I have no way of making anything sophisticated like your version with the screw thread on there, but I tried to glue a tube in. It didn't work. Wouldn't stay in. So the screw thread might have worked.

I think if I could have pushed something in that flared out at the bottom, that might have stayed in. Like when you stick an arrow in and the point is then prevented from coming back out.

My collector is the transparent version in mitto's post.

Very interesting mitto, thanks for shearing !

On the few pens I've repaired the nipple surely was an integrated part of the section.

I now realize the pens Ive repaired were from the later design, featuring the thicker cylindrical feed with integrated collector grooves.

On the early design the conical shaped collector can only be removed from the rear , so the nipple can't be part of the section

As for repair of the earlier version - shown in your picture - I dont have one of these available for the moment.

Are you sure the nipple is not part of a separate flange which can be disassembled from the collector ?

When the nipple is a separate part one could make an install a copy.

When the nipple is effectively part of the collector one can probably enlarge the central hole on a depth of 2- 3mm (depending the length of the solid non finned part of the collectior ) and install/glue a screwed nipple replacement bushing.

I either situation a repair should remain possible, at least in my opinion.

Francis

Francis,

I would check if the nipple is part of a separate flange that can be disassembled or is it an integral part of the collector and report back.

Looking at my own pictures now I see the nipple on the P45 collector looks as if it is part and parcel of the collector itself. On the P75 collector I am not too sure. May be it is part of a separate removable flange as you have indicated.

Best.

Khan M. Ilyas

Francis,

I would check if the nipple is part of a separate flange that can be disassembled or is it an integral part of the collector and report back.

Looking at my own pictures now I see the nipple on the P45 collector looks as if it is part and parcel of the collector itself. On the P75 collector I am not too sure. May be it is part of a separate removable flange as you have indicated.

Best.

Have you checked it? Could you please report what you found? I would do it myself, but I don't know how to take the collector out.

I found a lathe and I'm ready to try this fix, but I wouldn't like to damage the whole thing because of the different design.

Thank you in advance

Have you checked it? Could you please report what you found? I would do it myself, but I don't know how to take the collector out.

I found a lathe and I'm ready to try this fix, but I wouldn't like to damage the whole thing because of the different design.

Thank you in advance

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, I have just checked and found that the nipple is part of the collector itself. Also, there is no solid non finned part of the collector whereto a nipple replacement bushing could be screwed/glued in.

The end part of the collector that looks, in my (earlier) picture, as if it was a solid non finned part is actually the sleeve for the converter to fit into. The nipple is deep inside that sleeve and starts right from where the finned parts ends.

Here is a picture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V5VPguoOvxS2CEQXa77MAdGRgBHU3npq/view?usp=drivesdk

Hope that helps.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, I have just checked and found that the nipple is part of the collector itself. Also, there is no solid non finned part of the collector whereto a nipple replacement bushing could be screwed/glued in.

The end part of the collector that looks, in my (earlier) picture, as if it was a solid non finned part is actually the sleeve for the converter to fit into. The nipple is deep inside that sleeve and starts right from where the finned parts ends.

Here is a picture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V5VPguoOvxS2CEQXa77MAdGRgBHU3npq/view?usp=drivesdk

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your investigation mitto, much appreciated !

It looks me repair approach only works on the later P75 pen versions, equipped with the thicker cylindrical finned feed and with the nipple integrated in the section.

Francis

Thanks for your investigation mitto, much appreciated !

It looks me repair approach only works on the later P75 pen versions, equipped with the thicker cylindrical finned feed and with the nipple integrated in the section.

Francis

Yes, Francis. you are quite right. But I am sure you would be able to devise a way to repair this earler version of the thin feed if and when you a have chance to do so.

And you are welcome.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

Can you go into detail just a little bit more on how you accomplished this? How you ordered the plastic, and what tools you used to shape it to your pen?

I think this is exactly what I need in my post here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/335830-fountain-pen-restore-missing-parts/

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Isnt PEEK the same plastic you used when you were making your Triumph nib removal tools, Francis?

Can you go into detail just a little bit more on how you accomplished this? How you ordered the plastic, and what tools you used to shape it to your pen?

I think this is exactly what I need in my post here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/335830-fountain-pen-restore-missing-parts/

I appreciate your time and consideration.

I've bought a piece of Peek from a local machine shop and made the nipple on my lathe

Note one you can alternatively use "Ertalyte" for making the nipple.

This material is not as expensive and easier to find.

Francis

Isnt PEEK the same plastic you used when you were making your Triumph nib removal tools, Francis?

Yes Pentode , the tool rings of my triumph nib removal tools are also made from Ketron Peek.

Francis