Platinum 3776 Nib -- Repair Or Replace?

npaust

I got a Platinum 3776 in the Chartress blue color a few months ago (cheap, through Amazon, from Japan, fine nib) and it just doesn't work right. There's a ton of scratching on strokes where I move the nib from side to side. I've done all the basics of trying to align the tines, align the feed, etc but I'm at the point where it's going to take more skill than I have to get the pen working well.

When I look at the nib with a loupe, it just confuses me more. Sometimes it looks like the slit through the tipping is cut at an angle, sometimes it just looks like the tipping is non-symmetric.

Anyway, the question is how should I go about making the pen writable... I talked to Platinum and they'll sell me a new nib for $50. Or, I could send the pen to someone and have it smoothed, which will be about the same amount, I think. The thing I don't want to do is send it to someone to have it smoothed only to find out that there is something seriously wrong with the tipping and a new nib is needed.

So, any advice on which path to take?

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• npaust

• Shaggy

• EdeIstein88

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is without looking at the nib, we can't give you a good recommendation.

If the tipping looks lopsided to you, I would take the option of replacing the nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Yeah, I realize I'm asking kind of an impossible question... it's hard to photograph things that require a 10x loupe to see though.

I think you've given me the advice that I needed though. The tipping does look lopsided, so I'll go with a new nib. (just have to look around and make sure I can find instructions on how to do a nib swap on this pen though)

Is it still under warranty?

I got it straight from Japan with no assumption that it actually had a warranty. If I'd gotten it from a "reputable" seller, I would definitely have had them fix it, but that's not the situation.

It turns out though that Platinum USA will sell you replacement nibs at a very reasonable price and it's dead simple to replace the nib. In the end, I'll get a working pen for what will still be a very reasonable price.

That said, if anyone needs a fine 3776 Century nib that needs a little bit of work, I'll have one for sale soon!

I got it straight from Japan with no assumption that it actually had a warranty. If I'd gotten it from a "reputable" seller, I would definitely have had them fix it, but that's not the situation.

It turns out though that Platinum USA will sell you replacement nibs at a very reasonable price and it's dead simple to replace the nib. In the end, I'll get a working pen for what will still be a very reasonable price.

That said, if anyone needs a fine 3776 Century nib that needs a little bit of work, I'll have one for sale soon!

Ah, sorry, I missed that it was from Amazon Japan.

Well, not even Amazon Japan, a marketplace person from Japan selling through Amazon. Who knows, maybe they got it at a good deal since it had a bum nib and that's why they were selling it so cheaply. Doesn't really matter much at this point.

i will upload my 3776 nib after finish from my local nib meister, i modify that nib look like FA pilot nib or Nakaya Flex nib design :)