The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Tactile Turn Gist Or Parker 51 For Edc?

tactile turn gist parker 51 edc

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:13

Thank you for all your comments! I decided and I'll go for the P51.

Good choice  :D

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sponsored Content

#22 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 17:47

I'd never thought a P-51 as not rugged...take it to WW2 and win type of pen. Same goes for Sheaffer or Esterbrook.

OK, Wearever or Venus were not take it out of town or State....but the others were take around the world. Slow...by prop....in the air or water.

Had to be rugged, that was before Air Conditioning. -_-

Then again I grew up in the '50'-60's and I can't remember a metal pen. There were some but...In pens were always a status symbol....I don't think many had brass pens, when hard rubber had more class. Hard rubber could be chased, or be rippled. The newer plastics were prettier, 'flashier' than chased hard rubber.

Then came the cheap plastic exclusion(sp) machines of the P-51 and fancy plastic pens died..after the war...world wide.....but that was still the era of the light and nimble pen.

It wasn't until the Parker Flighter and the Sheaffer Targa ('70's) that I remember seeing metal pens....out side of course the P-75....which in my mind don't really count.

It is very, very light for metal and it is silver....has great balance...period...not just for metal.

Is three way...the areomatic filler, cartridge and converter.

If you don't like silver the P-75 has other pretty models.

Sigh, I have to admit I bought my P-75 back @1970...in it out Blinged the Snorkel, up to then King of Pens.....

I will need a bronze/stainless steel pen case....not for the silver P-75 but to keep the converter and cartridges safe, on this around the world trip. A P-51 would do just as well....with the armored pen case. :bunny01:

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#23 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,310 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:29

The 51 was a good choice, hope you love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#24 Elandaria

Elandaria

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:02

take it to WW2 and win type of pen.

Now that's the type of pen I want!

#25 RobbS

RobbS

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 18:54

I have both pens. The P51 is iconic.

My 1948 still has the original sac. A gorgeous pen. The hooded nib can take some getting used to, to orient on the page. And be careful of what ink you use in the sac. Great pen. Vintage pens may need some restoration.

I have the titanium gist. I like the gist, because the pen is not oversized, but it still has a large exposed #6 nib. Mine has a glorious gold bock nib. It's incredible they fit such a large nib. And it's made in the USA!

#26 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 19:04

1. Are you into German "international" nibs?

2. Do you like the way they write?

3. You willing to get a steel nib for that price?

4. Do you want a pen that will not attract attention?

5. Do you have access to these pens locally? 

6.  DO YOU LIKE SHEAFFER?

If you answered yes to Questions 1-3, then stick with the Gist. (Mabye watch this review on it: ) [Not affiliated, just love his reviews.]

If you answered yes to Question 4, then you should evaluate YOUR definition of a 'discrete' pen. If you think you would require a pen to not show its nib to be considered discrete, then stick with a 51. (Color should come into consideration too.)

If you answered yes to Question 5, you should check out multiple 51s so you can get a general idea of their main characteristics.

Now if you answered yes to Question 6, then I will be glad to help you out!

My personal opinion would be the 51, (61? - used both before), but that's just tossin' a ring.

#27 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 19:06

Thank you for all your comments! I decided and I'll go for the P51.

... And I read your comment right after my rambling....  :headsmack:

I like that choice...

Hope it works out for you.

#28 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:16

For what it is worth, Parker made a nib grading tool for 51 nibs.  It was essentially two metal plates mounted such that they formed a V shape with marks denoting the size ranges.  The farther down the V the nib would slide the smaller the nib grade/size.

Such tools are still around if you know the right Syndicate.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#29 Inkdot

Inkdot

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2016 - 00:15

Perhaps a Delta Momo Design Alumina for edc?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tactile turn gist parker 51, edc

Sponsored Content

|