Montblanc 146/144 Or Sailor 1911?

DekeVader

Hey all!

If you could get one of these pens based on the writing experience which would you choose and why?

Personally this is a question Ive had all week. Both are top tier pens I want but I honestly can't decide and since Ive never used one and there are no brick and mortar stores for me to try them I figured the next best thing is to ask everyone whom already has experience.

-Deke

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DekeVader

• jar

• Bluey

• TheRealMikeDr

Top Posters In This Topic

1950-65-70 medium long 146. Very well balanced....mine has a maxi-semi-flex nib**...yours could have a semi-flex nib.

** my first '50's MB pen was a (standard sized) 234 1/2 Deluxe ('52-54 only) KOB semi-flex. My second MB of that era was a rolled Gold (standard sized) 742 with a nib between semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex... The '50's medium-large 146 had the missing nib maxi-semi-flex flex I'd been looking for.............I no longer need any MB pens....having 5 with different nib flexes. I find the Giant 149....a huge clunker. Having a 'Springy' nib...don't need MB in Cartridge or what ever, that would have that nib.

I find a Large 146---mid-late 70-'s to now, to be a tad Large. Not as well balanced as the original size. It always takes me a minute or more to get use to its Large size.

Well I did grow up in the Standard and Medium-Large era. Those unfortunate to grow up when Large clunky pens are normal might well find the modern 146 light and nimble. :P

Of course for a modern 'Large' pen it is rather light and somewhat nimble....nimbler than an 800.

My 1970's Large 146 has a nice springy 'true' regular flex nib......not to be confused with the modern MB 'Springy' nib. That nib has more tine bend than 'true' regular flex...but only 2 X tine spread vs 3 X tine spread of 'true' regular flex....or semi-flex. My modern Woolf has a 'Springy' Nib.

A '50's-@ 65 Medium Large 146, should be cheaper than a modern new one; will have the better nib, and be better balanced. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm not a fan of the current run of 1911s. And I think the 146 is overpriced.

But if I had to choose, it would be MB - just for the fun of a piston filler. It's kind of like comparing Mercedes and Toyota - there's just a bit of ooomph in the MB that's missing in the Sailor.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thanks for all the great advice! Think I'll go with the MB 146. I've been seeing a lot of them on Ebay going for between 100-200 and I even saw one go for 75 but it slipped past me. Thanks a bunch! (also I know not to buy an MB without the paperwork :-) )

-Deke

Thanks for all the great advice! Think I'll go with the MB 146. I've been seeing a lot of them on Ebay going for between 100-200 and I even saw one go for 75 but it slipped past me. Thanks a bunch! (also I know not to buy an MB without the paperwork :-) )

-Deke

Are you sure those are legit MB? To me those prices seem suspiciously low for a 146.

Here in the classifieds you can find plenty of 146 at good prices, but seldom under $200-$225.

Are you sure those are legit MB? To me those prices seem suspiciously low for a 146.

Here in the classifieds you can find plenty of 146 at good prices, but seldom under $200-$225.

I'm being very skeptical since I know MB is normally not found for under 200-300 but the ones I've been watching are from sellers with 100% positive feedback and have have the original paperwork and box from the pen. Not every auction I've seen have been that low only one was sold at $75 and it was because it was sold at an odd time over the holidays. (I could kick myself for not paying closer attention to it). After that the lowest I've seen one sold was $105. The last few I've watched have reached closer to the $250 range. But if I see one close to the 100 range again I'm going to pounce on it.

I also just found someone selling a mint out of the box Pelikan Souvran M800 I'm starting to drool over. I'm half tempted to get that instead of the MB but since the MB is part of my "must have at least one" list I'm really trying to stay focused.

I do appreciate the warnings, I've heard plenty of horror stories about people getting fake pens that were copies of highly sought after top tier pens. I've even watched a few videos that show how to attempt to identify a true MB vs a Fake. So hopefully that will help!

Thanks!!!!

-Deke

I'm being very skeptical since I know MB is normally not found for under 200-300 but the ones I've been watching are from sellers with 100% positive feedback

Be careful. Look closely at their previous sales. There are some which could have been hijacked or there are some that sell a large number of cheap items to get the 100% feedback, and then go in for the kill with a more expensive item

I wouldn't have thought those prices for a used 146 to be especially suspicious, especially on ebay. Yes, there are fakes of course, usually easy to spot, but so many 146's are given as corporate gifts that end up languishing in their boxes for decades and then suddenly found again and flogged. Only last week I saw two 146's on ebay both sell for under a hundred euro each and I know they were legitimate because I know the seller and I was sorely tempted!

I was not aware that there were 146 fakes- I thought piston filler models had not been copied 'yet'.

I personally prefer MB over Sailor, in general and overall.

I paid 150E at a live auction, in no one wanted the Large 146...bare..no box, no papers...almost mint, late '70's according to the bottom of the feed. nice old fashioned regular flex nib. I'd checked that just to see what sort of nib the '70-and later MB's had.... before I found out it would go for start price...to me. I have a modern Woolf so have an idea of what MB offers as a nib today.

I didn't really want it myself but that was a give away price. I was more interested in a medium-long 146, that I eventually got...with what I'd hoped....a maxi-semi-flex that was missing from my '50's now three pen 'collection' of MB's.

I doubt if I'd gotten the medium long 146 in semi-flex, in I have so many.

If you don't have many semi-flex, the '50-late '60's is worth it. It's not as clunky as a Large 146, and you could luck out and get a maxi-semi-flex.

If you chase the nib....the '50-60's MB's are best of the MB's. Even 2xx&3xx can be had in semi-flex. Those are most economical. Just make sure the nib is semi-flex.

I did see a teen-'20's MB Safety Pen, with a Weak Kneed Wet Noodle....but it went for E350....cheap enough...but out of my limit. Would have gone for more but the nib had to be re-tipped.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I was not aware that there were 146 fakes- I thought piston filler models had not been copied 'yet'.

I personally prefer MB over Sailor, in general and overall.

Yes, there are may fake piston fillers. It's no harder to make a fake piston then anything else today. There is someone in Korea making replica MB 149 Demonstrators even.

My Website

4810 is the height of Mont Blanc in meters. It is marked on many nibs, and is thr limitation number of some pens, but it is not a model of pen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

4810 is the height of Mont Blanc in meters. It is marked on many nibs, and is thr limitation number of some pens, but it is not a model of pen.

Ahh okay!! I was really confused about that! incidentally I have to say, I love this forum, I'm learning so much about my favorite hobby :-)