Any Experience With Pelikan Mk30/ Obb Nib?

phillieskjk

Hi all! I recently won an auction for a pen that I hadn't heard of before, and I was wondering if you all could provide some insight. The pen in question is a 60s Pelikan MK30 with a 14k OBB nib. If you have used an MK30, or a Pelikan OBB nib, please share your experience/ let me know what to expect. Thank you! Also, what do you think a fair value for the pen would be? I hope I didn't overpay.post-117307-0-51270300-1480301483_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Phillieskjk

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phillieskjk

• PAKMAN

• Bo Bo Olson

• typoglycemia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

> I hope I didn't overpay.

The money's already spent, right? So you're past the point of thinking about that part. If the pen caught your eye and you had the funds for it, you're in for a treat. All that remains now is to get it into your own hand and start writing. That's exciting.

Every time I thought "I spent too much for this pen", after using it for a while I ended up saying "Worth every penny".

A trip to a nibmeister at a pen show fixed even my two biggest disappointments. Now they're practically my favorite pens, not to mention my fondest memories.

You'll enjoy the experience of writing with it long after you've forgotten how much you paid for it. Have fun with your new pen!

OBB=modern OB.....

Is that '60's.....slight chance it could be semi-flex.

.... After '65 the nib I assume be a once normal issue, springy 'true' regular flex....like the old 120/150 or 200. I don't know.

As far as I've read outside the H&D nibs Pelikan didn't make semi-nail and nail nibs until 1998.

In no one ever mentioned one of the spade late '60s-82 nibs as semi-flex....I stayed away from them...back when I was chasing semi-flex hard.

In you didn't mention how much you paid....If you Buy Now....you are always an idiot with a lot of money. Chase them on German Ebay. One must find a dealer that takes Pay Pal...some German idiots want to save a penny, so won't take Pay Pal...costs $35 to do a bank wire transfer. We use bank transfer that are in the EU as cheap as checks are in the States.

Do make sure they will ship outside of Germany....there are idiots like that too.

Buy Now= E150-140. :wallbash: Past auctions, E24-29 or 40. Dollar is now strong....say 5% lower than an Euro.

E24-29 or 40, is a good price for a working top tier company fountain pen.

In I want a few Original Reforms from the early '50s.....Pelikan of your era will have to take a back seat.

Best buy is a late '50-mid-late 60's Geha 790 (only***)...semi-flex. (I have 4. One because it's a true three ring, '59 M, one because it was first..KM, the other because of a maxi-semi-flex EF nib and one an real nice OB, because the barrel is gray stripped. )

***I never had enough money to buy the 712 so can't say for sure what the nib is.

The 725 is well worth having...as one of the prettiest best balanced pens ever made....semi-flex inlaid nib.

The Geha School pen...piston, is a very, very good for the price pen....can still be had for E12 if you look....E19 is the now normal. There are German Pirates sailing in the American Water, wanting only $89....buy now for this E12 pen. A good springy, true regular flex nib. Well balanced, solid.

Do not buy any Geha cartridge pens....cartridges are scarcer than hen's teeth. When Pelikan bought up the Geha pen division in 1990, Geha had made a cartridge that fit both Pelikan and Geha. Pelikan cartridges never fitted Geha.....still don't.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

OBB=modern OB.....

Is that '60's.....slight chance it could be semi-flex.

.... After '65 the nib I assume be a once normal issue, springy 'true' regular flex....like the old 120/150 or 200. I don't know.

As far as I've read outside the H&D nibs Pelikan didn't make semi-nail and nail nibs until 1998.

In no one ever mentioned one of the spade late '60s-82 nibs as semi-flex....I stayed away from them...back when I was chasing semi-flex hard.

In you didn't mention how much you paid....If you Buy Now....you are always an idiot with a lot of money. Chase them on German Ebay. One must find a dealer that takes Pay Pal...some German idiots want to save a penny, so won't take Pay Pal...costs $35 to do a bank wire transfer. We use bank transfer that are in the EU as cheap as checks are in the States.

Do make sure they will ship outside of Germany....there are idiots like that too.

Buy Now= E150-140. :wallbash: Past auctions, E24-29 or 40. Dollar is now strong....say 5% lower than an Euro.

E24-29 or 40, is a good price for a working top tier company fountain pen.

In I want a few Original Reforms from the early '50s.....Pelikan of your era will have to take a back seat.

Best buy is a late '50-mid-late 60's Geha 790 (only***)...semi-flex. (I have 4. One because it's a true three ring, '59 M, one because it was first..KM, the other because of a maxi-semi-flex EF nib and one an real nice OB, because the barrel is gray stripped. )

***I never had enough money to buy the 712 so can't say for sure what the nib is.

The 725 is well worth having...as one of the prettiest best balanced pens ever made....semi-flex inlaid nib.

The Geha School pen...piston, is a very, very good for the price pen....can still be had for E12 if you look....E19 is the now normal. There are German Pirates sailing in the American Water, wanting only $89....buy now for this E12 pen. A good springy, true regular flex nib. Well balanced, solid.

Do not buy any Geha cartridge pens....cartridges are scarcer than hen's teeth. When Pelikan bought up the Geha pen division in 1990, Geha had made a cartridge that fit both Pelikan and Geha. Pelikan cartridges never fitted Geha.....still don't.

Wow, thanks for all the info! I paid $26 plus $15 for shipping for a total of $41.

Great price! Congrats, enjoy!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I do have a vintage Pelikan 140 with a factory OBB nib. I paid quite a bit more than $26 for it :), so I think you got it for an excellent price. My 140 was probably made sometime in the 1950s or 1960s. It is a fairly wet nib with some flex to it. However, compared to some of the blobby nibs of today, I would say it writes closer to a broad than a double broad since nibs wrote a bit finer back then. Original OBB nibs are not common so it will be a special pen.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.