The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Help Needed - Mabie Todd Pen

2 replies to this topic

#1 Aus_FP_Enthusiast

Aus_FP_Enthusiast

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2016 - 14:48

Hi all

Today I was given a 1935 Mabie Todd Jackdaw fountain pen. It has a 14ct gold nib and is in quite nice condition overall, but the ink sac is perished. 

Would anyone happen to know the sac size for my pen? I've had a look around but can't seem to find anywhere that has the correct sac size... by looking at it, maybe a 15 or 16?

Also, if anyone might have any more information on the pen and would be willing to share I'd be most grateful; so far, I have found that it was mostly used as a school pen.

Thanks very much

Cheers

BP

Sponsored Content

#2 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 15:04

The diameter of the nipple holding the sac is measured in 64ths of an inch. For example if the diameter is 18/64ths, then you will need a #18. http://www.pendemonium.com has spares for fountain pens and explains this procedure.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#3 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2016 - 15:20

I should think a 16 would be OK - as the previous poster has pointed out the difference between each size step is only 1.64".

Many Jackdaws had pleasant and quite flexible nibs; of course as with all old pens this is a bit of a lottery and also depends upon how hard a life the pen had - especially if it was a schoolboy's pen.

Otherwise a straightforward Celluloid J-bar lever filler which although quite basic, is a Mabie Todd product and there fore of good quality.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|