The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Can Any One Help Me Please.

5 replies to this topic

#1 scotmedic121

scotmedic121

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:16

Can anyone help me please. I live on Glasgow Scotland and have a Blackbird fountain pen. The body is a black / ? pearl is best I can describe it. It has a 14ct nib and lever on the side of the main body and is stamped 4252 and made in England
Does anyone know of the history, value, how best to refurbish it and how to care for it. The pen was in a box of bits and bobs at a church sale many years ago and I recently came across it in my attic.
I would be grateful if anyone could help.
My email is scotmedic121@gmail.com
Many thanks
Charles20161126_000906.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:53

Hullo.

I have fairly broad experience of Mabie Todd products; to me that pen should be numbered 5245 - 45 is the MT code for grey marble.  Blackbirds were numbered 5 for the first digit.  MAny MT pens were not stamped with any number.

If you wish I can restore your pen - please PM for details; I am fairlyb well known around here should you wish a reference.

A value estimate would be easier to make on inspection of the pen.

Best wishes

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:48

Cob is the go to Mabie Todd authority in much of FPN. You are fortunate to be in the UK so you can more easily collaborate with him!

#4 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:51

Cob is the go to Mabie Todd authority in much of FPN. You are fortunate to be in the UK so you can more easily collaborate with him!

Many thanks for the vote of confidence, Greenie!

Any joy yet in the search for a plug-filler?

Rgds

C.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#5 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:56

No luck. The last one I saw for sale was a giant #5, so it went for quite some money. Still waiting for a more lowly #2 in hard rubber.

#6 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 18:49

No luck. The last one I saw for sale was a giant #5, so it went for quite some money. Still waiting for a more lowly #2 in hard rubber.

As far as I recall all the plug fillers had either No 3 or No 5 nibs.  The one that got lost had a 3.

Rgds

C.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|