Standardgraph Maize Yellow

Guardy

NOTE: My bottle is actually marked Coffee Brown, but it 100% matches the scans / color swabs for Maize Yellow, so I assume that's what this is. Standardgraph is pretty bad at labeling things correctly - this is not the first bottle I've had this problem with.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/Guardevoir/Pen%20and%20Writing%20Stuff/img074.png

Drying Time: Not excellent, but not particularly bad, either. It never gets in the way of writing.

Flow: Decent. Never had any problems in any pens.

Start-Up: Tends to oxidize, as seen in the Jinhao writing sample and the rest of the review, but you have to actively try to get any start-up problems.

Nib Dry-out: Starts up on the second stroke after three minutes of being uncapped. Decent enough, I think.

Lubrication: Quite good.

Feather/Bleedthrough: None on 90 g/sm Oxford or Clairefontaine paper. Some on 80 gs/m copy paper.

Waterproof: Lol no. Doesn't look too bad in the scan, but it's almost unreadable on paper... and I went pretty easy on it.

Papers: Standardgraph inks tend to cause skipping on very smooth papers. I don't have any paper fitting that description at the moment, but I'd imagine it applies here, as well. Not particularly suitable for copy paper, but still tolerable.

Notes: The shading is magnificent IRL. More magnificent is the halo effect you get with it; a very pronounced border around the letters. No sheen. Dark enough for note-taking in theory, but I wouldn't necessarily do that. Absolutely beautiful in a dip pen. Like, seriously. The red in the darkest parts is less pronounced in real life; I just couldn't colour-correct it out completely.

First review, please be nice.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Guardy

• visvamitra

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the nice review. Actually, I think it is their coffee brown / kaffeebraun (Sandardgraph Number 572204). Their maize yellow / maisgelb (572205) is quite dark but not that brown. All the maize ('corn' in North America) I've ever seen is more more of a light, bright yellow like crocus yellow / krokusgelb (572207).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Yes,

They aren't most reliable ink maker in terms of labelling or filling the bottles to the same level.

Indeed. Very pretty inks, though, otherwise I wouldn't put up with it.

Thanks for the nice review. Actually, I think it is their coffee brown / kaffeebraun (Sandardgraph Number 572204). Their maize yellow / maisgelb (572205) is quite dark but not that brown. All the maize ('corn' in North America) I've ever seen is more more of a light, bright yellow like crocus yellow / krokusgelb (572207).

Mike

Nah, I've actually got a bottle of coffee brown (labelled as Fig Brown, sigh) and it's slightly darker (but, alas, not a lot), but mostly not yellowish at all; it's more along the lines of J. Herbin's Terre de Feu.

By the way, the ink does write substantially lighter in dry-writing pens.

I agree with you on the bad choice of name, though - if anything, the ink looks like some very odd cross between mustard and honey.

Yes, I ordered Feigenbraun, the bottle was labelled Feigenbraun, but the ink inside was definitely not Feigenbraun. This spurred me to finally order Yama-guri so it worked out.

Edited by chromantic

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.