The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Beautiful Big #6 Nib On Swan

2 replies to this topic

#1 Harrjana

Harrjana

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2016 - 14:51

swan green 2.jpg

I bought a box of pens here in MN and this beauty was in it.  The Nib wasn't straight and needed (gulp) retipping.  I emotionally invested in the retyping because the Nib is BEAUTIFUL.  Hard as a nail but gorgeous none the less. The imprint says Self filling and has Mabie Todd & Co. New York so can I assume this is US made or would it have been made in the UK?

Sponsored Content

#2 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 15:21

Oh, my!  That is absolutely gorgeous!  What a wonderful find!  :yikes:

Posted Image

#3 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:21

That is an American pen, made around 32-33. It has the same shape as the last of the Swan Eternals made in 32, but these appear to have been the first of the post-Eternal pens. Of particular note is the tapering at the cap and the barrel, and it maintains the "step" clip (these are the last of the American Swans to have it).

These have been incredibly difficult pens for me to find, particularly the 6 size. Great find.

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|