What 52 Ideal I Am Offered?

mitto

Let the seller's pictures speak for themselves.

post-117288-0-61932100-1479980197_thumb.jpgpost-117288-0-74526500-1479980227_thumb.jpgpost-117288-0-24392300-1479980572_thumb.jpg

Seller says the two wide bands on the barrel are marked 1924, FDW and 375. His demand is $100. The nib, he says is full flex. The pen is on hold for me. Advice and comments would be much appreciated.

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Left FPN

• Vintagepens

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being an expert on 52 BCR's, :rolleyes: cough, if the date hallmark is 'j' then the seller is correct.

I suppose if the lever box and nib are good then the price is fine. The rubber looks worn and discoloured but then that is common with black BCR pens...unless you are fortunate.

The gold rings look nicely engraved which does not seem to affect prices...sometimes adds to them.

It may though require a new sac which costs pennies, and a good clean.

Where shal the date hallmark 'j' be? Tell me, Force, so that I may ask the seller about it?

Look below the FDW stamp then between the 375 and the lion head stamps. It may be worn.

The pen has no clip. Do they come without either a clip or a ring?

Yes, either clipped of clip less. If it had a clip there will be two holes towards the top of the cap, approximately 5mm apart axially aligned.

The nib is cracked. Clear stress line from the vent hole. Deal breaker.

No. It is not. It is now in the hands of my friend who went to collect the pen from the seller in Karachi.

Khan M. Ilyas

I can see David's concern now.

It might be worth doing a simple crack test i.e. very small drop of ink, wipe it away then dust the area with talc or chalk, blow and look for a line in the powder.

It might be worth doing a simple crack test i.e. very small drop of ink, wipe it away then dust the area with talc or chalk, blow and look for a line in the powder.

Ok, Force, I will see to it and report back.

Khan M. Ilyas

That seems rather more effort than necessary. This crack should be easily visible through a magnifier. In the photos there is clearly one crack extending from the right side of the vent hole, with another possibly present to the left as well. Very typical place for such cracks to be found -- plus, the nib is already slightly sprung, with a good sized gap between the tines.

We await the report.

Bought the pen for $65 after assurance from my friend he could see no crack in the nib. He says there exist a stress mark on the right side of the went hole but that it is only a dent and not a crack. Would post pics after the pen arrives.

PS. I already have an English made Waterman Ideal # 2 nib in spare that I would be installing in the pen if unfotunately there was a crack in the nib on the pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

Good news and price.

Update.

The nib looks to have no cracks. It is a little sprung that I am sure I would be able to reshape. Here are a couple close up pics of the nib taken by my friend before shipping the pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

Photographs can be very deceptive.

I agree. But these are not seller's pictures. These are pictures taken by my friend who has been reading this thread. So he knew what to look for. Anyhow, let us hope things turn out good.

Khan M. Ilyas

I agree. But these are not seller's pictures. These are pictures taken by my friend who has been reading this thread. So he knew what to look for. Anyhow, let us hope things turn out good.

I was referring to your first post :mellow:

I was referring to your first post :mellow:

Ohh ! My fault of not being able to follow you. Thanks for the guidance and encouragement, Force.

Khan M. Ilyas

Hallmarked gold with a good nib: it's a treasure. And a bargain.

Thank you, sidthecat. Let us see if I would be able to disassemble and resac this treasure. Would be seeking guaidance once again after the pen arrives.

Khan M. Ilyas