Composition Notebook Update

Poetman

I've benefited from reading other members' reviews of composition notebooks as I've tried to locate an UNRULED FP friendly composition notebook for myself. I wanted to contribute some updates from which others might benefit as well.

1) The art store Artist and Craftsman carries unruled compostion notebooks for under $2 by the Sargeant brand. The paper is as thin as most comp. books, but there is no feathering or bleeding. There is certainly ghosting, but when I wrote on both sides of the page, all the writing was discernible, clear, and absolutely manageable.

http://www.artistcraftsman.com/hardcover-composition-books.html

2) Roaring Springs, a company I've long loved, sells comp. books with unruled pages in the standard 15lb paper, and they also sell a "premium" version with 20lb paper, which is like standard copy paper. They're tough to come buy in person, and online orders will cost you in shipping, but they're out there:

https://www.amazon.com/Roaring-Spring-Premium-Composition-Unruled/dp/B002XJ5UCY

3) Reading about Michael Bierut's composition book fetish lead me to the Gramco brand.

http://designobserver.com/feature/26-years-85-notebooks/6067

I've never tried them (though I would like to), but another member reviewed them on the forum before.

http://www.gramcoschoolsupplies.com/teachers-resources/composition-books

4) Finally, if you still desire, or can stand, lined pages, Carolina Pad and Paper books rival Norcom---with better binding.

https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Pad-Marble-Composition-Inches/dp/B002PU9UQI

Hope this helps other plain-page seekers!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Poetman

• Runnin_Ute

• ac12

• sirgilbert357

Top Posters In This Topic

I find of the comp books I have tried the Made in Brazil books have better paper than vietNam, USA and Egypt paper.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I've given up on the comp books.

Even the Brazil comp books are poor. In the case of the Brazil comp books, the paper was inconsistent, some pages good, and some pages poor. It was quite frustrating to use.

The Brazil notebooks (single subject, wire bound) from Staples are MUCH better.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Geez...that last link: 8 bucks for ONE standard comp book?? No thanks. My Clairfontaine spiral bounds only cost 5.50 -- granted they are only 50 pages, but the paper is of known high quality. And I got decent Norcom comp books with the Brazil paper for 50 cents during the last back to school sale...the pages are slick and my ink sheens galore on them!

But I will just stick with the Clairefontaine spiral bounds from now on. I like them enough that I'm not tempted to search for alternatives...at least not until the next back to school sale.

These Amazon prices are MUCH higher than what these books cost in any brick/mortar location. I purchased tha last one for a few books from a univ. bookstore before. I agree--8 bucks for a notebook is excessive. Sketchbooks can be had for less and offer great quality.

Geez...that last link: 8 bucks for ONE standard comp book?? No thanks. My Clairfontaine spiral bounds only cost 5.50 -- granted they are only 50 pages, but the paper is of known high quality. And I got decent Norcom comp books with the Brazil paper for 50 cents during the last back to school sale...the pages are slick and my ink sheens galore on them!

But I will just stick with the Clairefontaine spiral bounds from now on. I like them enough that I'm not tempted to search for alternatives...at least not until the next back to school sale.

These are lined, but 90 pages for $4. Best bargain I know. I have about 30 of them now.

http://www.ipenstore.com/1-clairefontaine-pop-art-flowers-wirebound-notebook-5-8-x-8-25-lined/

• 2 weeks later...

Also, the "composition book" from Job Lott, made in India is fantastic with FPs. It's lined, but for a dollar it's stelllar. Oddly enough, another unlined comp. book I found from India didn't perform as well.

Helps to have which Continent you are on...to give advice.

Both are lined.

Clairfontaine velote 90g spiral notebooks are the slightest tad better (one ink of some twenty) than Oxford Optic 90g....which is also found in Red &Black desk style notebook. I've been very happy with either and both.

I pay @E3.90 for Clairfontaine in Germany. If I was up in Frankfurt I could get the Optic also.

It depends on if you want to use shading inks and have them shade or not to if you wish either of those two spiral notebooks. I consider both good paper.

I have better paper, but not in a notebook.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

All things in this equation aren't equal, of course, but I still find composition notebooks useful (or at least I still root for them and haven't given up hope) because of the semi-B5 size, which I prefer, and hardcover ones in particular because of the solid, booklike construction. I agree with ac12's sentiments, however. Paper in the poorer-quality notebooks hasn't been this bad since I got into the market, and that in the better ones has never been more inconsistent.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I have had good luck buying Comp Books at Walmart. Their house brand is called "Norcom" and I take my very wet Pelikan m100 pen with me. I open the last page and make a few marks with my pen to test out the paper, and then I buy a whole bunch of them. I got 18 comp books in late August during the back-to-school rush for 23 cents apiece. Also the Staples store in the same strip mall was going out of business and I got 12 Red-n-Black notebooks for $3.00 apiece.