Mom Gave Me Her P51 And Now I've Bought 3 More

Stinch

Got to talking to my mom last week about old pens and she gave me her 1954/55 Parker 51 Aerometric standard set. It included a Liquid Lead pen that still works. My dad while serving the USAF in England had bought the set from the commissary and gave it to her before they were married in 1956. It may have been a gift for her birthday in December 1955. To say the least it is a special pen set. I've known about the Aero for as long as I can remember but it never worked during that time and didn't have the knowledge to fix it.

When I open the case, I was disappointed to find the Aero in two pieces. The section was broken at the base of the hood. The YouTube video by Grandmia that helped me take the pen apart and clean out decades of old dried ink. I took my time and carefully thought out how to get the remaining broken piece out of the hood. Heated it up in hot water and used a pick to stick in the broken end. After a few attempts, it started to back out. Feel like I got lucky with it.

There was an O-ring with the hood. The stainless steel sac cage states "press 4 times" and is a press on fit to the section. David Nishimura's web site has what appears to be the correct part but is unfortunately sold out. I've e-mailed him and a few other experts hoping to find a replacement but no luck yet.

The picture from David's site shows the black section (coupler, connector) that I'm looking for.

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/parts/6704.jpg

I've since bought three more P51s off eBay while I'm waiting to fix the family pen. One is a standard English Aero, one a standard Aero Special, and the other is a Gold capped Vacumatic. The Aeros are simple to work on compared to the Vacs. Those vacs need special tools and expertise so I'll run them through the experts.

The other pens have not arrived yet. I'll post some pictures in the near future.

Cheers

Rich

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Stinch

• pajaro

• PaulS

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing the connector on Ariel Kullock's web site, and penpartsstore on ebay has some of Kullock's parts. I used to search for "parker 51 parts" sometimes when I was interested in Parkers. I used to find interesting items sometimes, and the menu changes from time to time.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks for the reply. My most frequent searches has been "parker 51 (parts,connector, section, coupler)". Decided this morning to search instead for "parker 51 filler" and this USA assembly from an English seller came up. The description was enough to state that it was for hoods with the O-ring recess. He even got back to me and offered free shipping. Won't know until I try it, but looks like I got my part and some spares as well.

http://i.imgur.com/JIr7ITV.jpg

I remember seeing the connector on Ariel Kullock's web site, and penpartsstore on ebay has some of Kullock's parts. I used to search for "parker 51 parts" sometimes when I was interested in Parkers. I used to find interesting items sometimes, and the menu changes from time to time.

congratulations on your success so far - sounds like I should be sending my 51 repairs to you :D - look forward to seeing your latest 51s when they arrive.

Post pics when you get your mom's pen repaired! And the other ones when you get them.

Sounds as if you've got 51 fever pretty bad. I have seven at this point -- 4 Aerometrics and 3 51 Vacs (plus a 51 Special, a 21 and and 41). But it took me a couple of years to amass them. You appear to have jumped in with both feet.

By the way -- there is no cure.... ;) The only therapy is of the retail variety (i.e., to buy more 51s...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Post pics when you get your mom's pen repaired! And the other ones when you get them.

Sounds as if you've got 51 fever pretty bad. I have seven at this point -- 4 Aerometrics and 3 51 Vacs (plus a 51 Special, a 21 and and 41). But it took me a couple of years to amass them. You appear to have jumped in with both feet.

By the way -- there is no cure.... ;) The only therapy is of the retail variety (i.e., to buy more 51s...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Haven't seen anyone with it this bad in a while.

I really do need to find a "non Special" 51 in a color other than black. (my 51 Special is black)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

I received today the spares group pictured above from England for my ca.1955 "51" Aero-metric. Hoping this weekend to get it back together to the point of writing. So far everything fits great and will make the pen work again. One issue is the feed and tube.

Below is the feed that was found in my pen. I'm new at this pen repair work, but it looks a lot like an assembly from a Vacumatic. Is Is that possible? This one doesn't seem right for my pen. When assembled, the end of the feed does not sit flush to the nib and leaves a noticeable gap that would not work well. Since my parts group from England (see my post above on Nov 24) had a feed and tube I figured it would work better and be correct for my pen.

http://i.imgur.com/GwVt1hV.jpg?1

I assembled the pen with the feed and tube from the parts group that just received. The feed sits nicely with the nib but then I noticed something wrong with the breather tube. The picture doesn't show the detail, but I think the plastic tube is inserted the wrong way in the feed. The small breather hole is actually at the end facing in the direction of the sac. At the same end is a small slit which I assume would permit the tube to compress if inserted into the feed. There is no hole in the plastic tube near the feed. Assuming I'm right, how much effort is involved removing the tube without breaking it and reversing it?

Rich

Edited by Stinch

I assume the breather tube that came with the replacement feed is a used one. So it must be holding some dried up ink. Just soak the feed and breather tube in lukewarm water for a few minutes and then try to remove it from the feed. It would come off pretty easily if cleaned properly.

Reverse the tube by inserting the end that has the breather hole into the feed and you are on the go.

Congrats.

Khan M. Ilyas

Soaking in warm water worked great, thanks. Got the tube out, reversed it and now can't get the tube inserted enough to cover the slit in the plastic tube without using too much force to damage something. The tube looks to be original and I don't think the slit is supposed to be there.

Edit: The feed has a step inside that stops the tube from going too far. I put a little shellac from the tip of a toothpick on the exposed slit (less than one mm) and tested for leaks. Should help keep the tube in place as well and still allow it to be removed later if need be. The breather hole is seven mm from the end of the feed which is about right when compared to a spare original silver tube.

Rich

I assume the breather tube that came with the replacement feed is a used one. So it must be holding some dried up ink. Just soak the feed and breather tube in lukewarm water for a few minutes and then try to remove it from the feed. It would come off pretty easily if cleaned properly.

Reverse the tube by inserting the end that has the breather hole into the feed and you are on the go.

Congrats.

Edited by Stinch

Cut the slit part of the tube. It is not supposed to have any slit at either end.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

There should be no step inside the hole of the feed. There seems that part of the original silver tube that was inside the feed is left there after it got broken. It is a common problem with old rotting silver tubes.

Also, dont apply shallac to the inner side of the feed opening. Rather, put a dab on the tube end itself.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Excellent video; thanks for the help. From what I've read, the later feeds with the plastic tube have a larger diameter hole for the tube when compared to the earlier feed with the smaller diameter silver tubes. Do I have that right? I'll go back and take a closer look in the feed.

Edited by Stinch

Correct. But only you should know what feed you have got. The earlier or the later. However, I routinely put plastic breather tubes in feeds that came originally with silver tubes.

You have the information required and now you have to use your own judgement so as to determine as to what is the problem with your feed and tube.

Best.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas