Overview: Conid Bulkfiller King Size Flat Top Demonstrator

sketchstack

Hello, here are some thoughts and information on my Conid Bulkfiller King Size. Some of these resources might be helpful for those considering purchasing one of these excellent pens. I plan on continuing thoughts and info on my website at SketchStack.com.
http://www.sketchstack.com/uploads/4/9/6/7/49676353/conid-images-008_orig.jpg
Introduction
I like demonstrators pens. They are unassuming and, aesthetically speaking they get out of the way of their primary function: writing (or drawing, as the case may be).
With that in mind, it makes sense that the Conid Bulkfiller appeals to me. Conid seem to focus on demonstrators, and probably deliberately so: It’s the Bulkfiller system that makes them compelling and demonstrators allow it to be seen and appreciated.
Knowing myself, if I were to order the Regular I’m sure I would have liked it. But I also know I’d yearn for the larger version: The King Size. And so that’s what I purchased. In a similar vein, I didn’t want to agonize about nibs —so I ordered both titanium and gold rather than just one or the other. The nibs are a substantial number #8, and are manufactured in Germany by Bock.
The Conid website is organized by model, and then trim choices. Once you select your model and trim, the order details screen allows one to choose nibs, tools and nib options like custom grinds to extra-fine or stub.
A quick note about the tools: They are optional, when some have criticized the fact that they aren’t included. I tend to agree —however it’s also nice to not be forced to buy them should you buy another Bulkfiller down the road. For example, I have many little TWSBI plastic wrenches lying around. I can see the logic both ways.
Filling System Compared
The Conid Bulk Filler can be compared to two types of pens: piston and vacuum fillers. This is because it is indeed a piston filler, but due to the nature of it’s innovative design, the Conid fills to a capacity exceeding even vacuum fillers.
Of these two types of filling systems, I’ll compare the Conid to pens that I have personal experience with. (I won’t compare to Visconti, for example, as I have no first hand experience with them.)
Since the filling system is what really sets the Bulkfiller apart, that’s the focus of these comparisons:
  • Standard International Converter
  • Pilot Con-70 Converter
  • TWSBI Eco
  • Pelikan M800
  • TWSBI Eco
  • TWSBI Vac700
  • Pilot Custom 823
The images below illustrate the the fundamental difference in capacity due to the bulkfiller system, and a rough comparison of ink capacities across a range of popular pen types.
post-132721-0-49183400-1479926732_thumb.png
In this illustration, the two ink chambers are very roughly the same size. Note the increase in capacity afforded by the Bulkfiller system versus the Pelikan M805. True to most piston fillers, a significant portion of the barrel is used not for ink but for the plunger mechanism.
http://www.sketchstack.com/uploads/4/9/6/7/49676353/conid-images-010.jpg?317
Simple Size Comparison:
post-132721-0-41060900-1479928764_thumb.jpeg
http://www.sketchstack.com/uploads/4/9/6/7/49676353/img-0344_1_orig.jpg
The Nib(s)
I like a good nib. They’re cool, most are beautiful and on top of that they represent the functional essence of the fountain pen. That means they make or break a pen. Perhaps there are those who collect pens and are satisfied owning a sub-optimal writing pen that might sit in a display case. Not me. I use my pens and demand that they write and that they write well.
My experience with nibs is that they can be quite finicky, particularly the softer gold. Long ago I discovered, expensively, that even the “nicest” pens require nib adjustment out of the box.
I ordered a handful of nibs as I knew I’d want to experiment and switch things up from time-to-time. After all, a significant design and marketing angle of the Conid brand is that their pens are functional; utilitarian. So I’d have been remiss to just order one nib and hope that I’d be eternally satisfied with it.
Titanium Overview:
Titanium is nice to write with. I don’t share the experience of others in that the titanium seems soft. I found it to be softer than steel, sure, but it was not flexible like the gold. This may be due to the size. For example, Pelikan M800 nibs and M1000 nibs are said to have a very disparate level of flex even at the same nib width. So perhaps the Bock #8 has different characteristics than it's smaller #6 cousin.
In any case, while the titanium doesn’t have that indestructible quality like steel, I feel like I can really push them for normal writing. Meaning, non-flex writing.
One thing I noticed about both titanium nibs is that they don’t have feedback so much as they do resistance. I realize that’s not a normal way nibs are described, but I don’t feel vibration or friction. The nib writes smoothly; but imagine dragging a flathead screwdriver across a smooth granite countertop versus dragging a flathead screwdriver across a smooth rubber mat. That is perhaps an extreme analogy, but I think the texture difference illustrates what I mean.
Titanium Fine
This nib is quite good, if a little bit ink starved. It’s barely noticeable —but it is noticeable. I had a little luck pulling the tines apart, and I’m sure I can tune it to be as juicy as I’d like. (Luckily it does not appear to be over polished.)
Titanium Broad
The broad is a little much for my style, but I decided to give it a shot. It’s fairly juicy and the line is about as broad as one might expect compared to the fine.
Gold Overview:
I love the rhodinated look, and unlike steel there’s a bit of spring to the gold. These Bock nibs are beautiful but weren’t without issue.
I find that Pilot and Sailor gold nibs give me the least issues right out of the box. I have a fair number of Pilot pens and I don’t think any of them gave me issues right out of the box. (I mention steel, but worth noting steel is not an option in the #8 size. I was just speaking in general terms.)
18k Fine:
This one writes pretty well. I had to tune it a little, and I'll probably end up polishing it a bit. Overall it works well and the line width is as I'd expect from a German fine.
18k Medium:
This one gave me some trouble. It absolutely gushed ink at first and I was a bit let down. I had to bring the tines closer together, which took some time and patience. The breakthrough came when I removed the nib, flipped it over, and carefully pressed it into a pad of paper along its longest axis. Over and over, testing frequently. (I also crossed the tines but I didn’t get much result from that technique, probably because I was timid. Seemed too easy to cause serious damage.)
​I am happy to report that the nib writes nicely now, albeit a little wider than I'd have liked. It helps that I sought dry inks. In terms of reigning in the flow, I found that Akkerman works really, really well in this nib. Counter intuitively perhaps, the medium gold nib is much springier than the fine gold nib. Prior to tuning it flexed very noticeably with little pressure.
Using some Noodler's Bernake Blue-Black, I wrote out some simple samples on Tomoe River paper:
http://www.sketchstack.com/uploads/4/9/6/7/49676353/combined.jpg?641
Why Conid?
There are other, less expensive, demonstrators out there. Some of them hold a respectable amount of ink and have nice nibs. So why get a Conid?
  • It’s a purpose-designed product created by people who recognized a need, or simply wanted to innovate and improve upon what they saw in the market. Whereas larger companies, especially in the fountain pen world, seem to move at a glacial speed. It's exciting to see something new.
  • Most consumer products these days are thrown away when obsolete or replaced. While fountain pens are special in and of themselves, on account of being a niche product, they can still be mass produced commodities. Very few would cry over the loss of a Platinum Preppy, or even a Pilot Metropolitan —just order a new one on Amazon and get on with it. But something made one at a time, specific for a customer, is special. While clearly there are differences between a Conid and a urushi lacquered pen, there is a similar sentiment.
  • This pen was built for me. I was able to tailor the aesthetic somewhat and I didn’t have to compromise on nib width or finish. I didn't just have to buy whatever came off the conveyer belt.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• sketchstack

• Diderot

• ItwasLuck

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pen, great review! Would you say ink tends to evaporate more or less than with regular piston or converter pens? My one piston filler M400 seems to last for a lot longer than the ones with converter, now that I think about it.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

Enjoy your pen in good health.

I'm sure many would like to find a Conid in their stocking this Christmas . . . :rolleyes:

Thanks for this helpful overview. I'm seriously thinking of selling a pen or two to buy a King Size.

This range seems to have the size and weight combination I'm looking for.

Is it comfortable to use for long writing sessions?

Is the section slippery etc.?

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

Thank you all for the comments.

Thanks for this helpful overview. I'm seriously thinking of selling a pen or two to buy a King Size.

This range seems to have the size and weight combination I'm looking for.

Is it comfortable to use for long writing sessions?

Is the section slippery etc.?

On one hand, the section is slick. But I'm told that ebonite changes over time, while polishing will restore it back to being slick and shiny. And I find this to be true as I very recently polished it with a cloth and noticed the section was a bit slicker than before. So theoretically it will become more 'grippy' as I continue to use it. Alas I don't personally find it to be bothersome.

And the pen is a good size for writing sessions, at least for me. I have large hands and I'll write ten pages or so (A4) in a stretch.

I analyzed pen sizes quite a bit so I could understand what I was getting since I had no way to hold it before purchase. If you have a "comfort level" in mind, then I suggest comparing it to the published specs on their site. For example, I once owned and enjoyed the size of a Sailor King of Pen, and the Conid King Size is roughly the same dimensions (or a bit longer). So that gave me confidence to buy it.

Great and informative review. This is the most visually precise review I've ever seen, complete with graphics. I can only think you must be a scientist or graphic designer, sketchstack!

Great review, I contacted Werner about doing a custom pen for me, can't wait to hear back from him. Hopefully in a months time you guys will see a review of that. :D

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

Nice review thanks :)

I have a regular sized bulk filler demo which I need to dismantle to clean.

Do you know if there are any videos or instructions online? I have the tools from CONID but Google-fu has failed Me!

Great overview.

I have a minimalistica with a titanium nib and really like it. The nib ranges from very smooth to a slight amount of feedback depending on the ink and how I hold the pen. I hope to try a kingsize in the near future.

Do you know if there are any videos or instructions online? I have the tools from CONID but Google-fu has failed Me!

Not a Conid owner, but is this of use?

Thanks for a great review of a pen of which I am incredibly fond. I have two Kingsize, with a third currently en-route from Belgium. My experiences mimic your own...

Great review, I contacted Werner about doing a custom pen for me, can't wait to hear back from him. Hopefully in a months time you guys will see a review of that. :D

Interesting. Can I ask what you were hoping for in the custom?

Too many pens; too little writing.

Nice pen, great review! Would you say ink tends to evaporate more or less than with regular piston or converter pens? My one piston filler M400 seems to last for a lot longer than the ones with converter, now that I think about it.

This is hard for me to say since my ink is usually used up or swapped out before there's a chance for any evaporation. I'd guess that the ink type and feed would influence evaporation as well.

Great and informative review. This is the most visually precise review I've ever seen, complete with graphics. I can only think you must be a scientist or graphic designer, sketchstack!

Thanks. I am certainly a "visual person" and savvy with graphics software, so I decided to illustrated some of the strengths and comparisons to assist others looking to buy one of these nice pens.

There are some resources here that may be helpful: http://conidblog.com/how-to-2/

Thanks for a great review of a pen of which I am incredibly fond. I have two Kingsize, with a third currently en-route from Belgium. My experiences mimic your own...

I too have an additional order (hopefully) en-route any day now :)

Thanks Sketchstack, I hadn't seen that resource.

It is a pity chn11 - how to clean your bulk filler - is missing. Although the article on greasing the piston is useful.

Perhaps Francis can chime in on the whereabouts of chn11 if he is lurking (with apologies for the temporary thread hijack!!) :)