Sailor Kop Nib Size Comparison... Help!?

Gasquolet

I realise this has been done to death in a round about way in various reviews but i have a quite specific question:

Can any owners of Sailor King of Pen or their nibs in Classic Pens LB5s draw some comparisons for line width between the normal medium and broad (not Naginata specials).

I understand from various sources that the KoP nib tipping might produce a slightly broader line than other equivalent Sailor nibs but I really need to have comparisons between these nibs and those of pens I am familiar with such as Platinum to help me better understand if the broad is too broad for example.

For some context, I have access to Platinum fine, medium and broad nibs, mostly #3776,but the medium is a President, Can anyone comment how the line width compares between these and the Sailor KoP? Similarly, I have a Pilot 823 M and Aurora 14k M.

I realise this is very subjective and ultimately pens will vary, inks, paper and the hand on the end affect it, I don't need definitives, just peoples experiences would be valued.

The context is: I am looking at a KoP in either M or B. I don't have a local source to let me try and I don't have experience with Sailors nibs in these sizes to give me an idea how they would behave. I want a pen for everyday use for which either nib may be ideal but I can't decide which...

Any thoughts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• Gasquolet

Thanks for your thoughts. I was aware of this Sailor nib guide but also looking for some comparison with other manufacturer's nibs.

It's interesting the broad appears so broad there. I am familiar with the Naginata Togi in MF and to my mind when held normally it leaves a broader line than the conventional European broad nibs I have experience of.

How does you medium in the LB5 compare with other medium nibs?

My LB5 medium is the only Sailor medium I have. It is a bit broader than the Platinum President medium on one of my Izumos. I'd say it's comparable to a Western fine.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Perfect. Thank you. The Platinum medium I have is on an Izumo too.

I have found platinum's nibs incredibly consistent so this is useful, it sounds like the medium KoP is closest to what I'm looking for.

On another note, the Izumo with medium nib is the closest I have come yet to my perfect pen out of the box. I know they're quite different but if the KoP wih medium is up there it will be very good indeed.

The Platinum Izumo medium is a very nice nib, but the Sailor KOP medium is far superior, to my mind. I think you will love it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.